• This topic has 22 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by dti.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • android battery usage question
  • sadexpunk

im really pleased with the battery on my htc M8, at the end of the day its rarely below 50%.

however for some reason i find it about to die this evening on 4%. ironically after using it less than usual.

ive been looking at the battery usage over the last 12 hrs, 6 hrs and 1 hr. i find that facebook comes in at 30%, messenger 17%, notepad 17% for instance, yet i havent used any of these apps in the last hour.
    i have my automatic sync turned off, so i dont understand why these apps are using my power.

even tho its not set to sync, i still get notifications that its someones birthday, or blah de blah has posted on a group etc etc.

why is this happening, and is there anything i can do to stop facebook for instance ‘searching’ for notifications when i dont want it to.
    and notepad?? why is it actually doing anything?? i thought android was sposed to be good at stopping apps from running when not needed…..

spooky_b329

The facebook app is probably running all the time as it is listening for activity on facebook (and alerting you unless you’ve managed to turn them off)

I uninstalled the facebook app as it literally takes over your phone, especially the messenger app with that annoying floating ball that thinks it has the right to sit on top of everything else.

hilldodger
    Free Member

I’ve found switching FB to ‘desktop site’ seems to reduce its load, and messenger can be set to ‘turn off notifications’

sadexpunk

looked for ‘desktop site’ and couldnt find it, so went to notifications and turned em all off. just got a birthday notification through >-(

will probably uninstal them both later then

thanks 🙂

MrWoppit
    Free Member

I assume you’ve taken all the usual steps to save battery power – running a black background, turning off wifi and location when you don’t need them, turning on “ultra” battery saver when all you want is phone calls etc.

I have Smart Manager on the lock page so before I use the phone, I always give the RAM control/Clear Apps setting a quick stab to close down those that run in the background…

I hear that Samsung in partnership with MIT are working on a new type of battery that will last a lot longer, but it’s not commercially available yet…

PlopNofear
    Free Member

There’s an app called Greenify. You can select multiple apps that are running all the time then kill their background processes in one go.

sadexpunk

to be honest chaps, i dont agree with these ‘app killer’ jobbies, i hear they use more power than they save!!

androids ‘supposed’ to manage apps really well, and stop em when not in use and ive been really pleased with it so far, dont know what happened yesterday, but it died on me in the evening whereas its usually around 50%. facebook and messenger were obviously working away in the background so i wondered if there were any settings i could amend. spose its the apps rather than android, so ill probably just uninstal them.

i dont want to be looking at apps or installing further software thinking ‘i need to stop this app now’, id rather it just worked without me doing anything, which its sposed to do.

thanks

aracer
    Free Member

FB is an aggressive parasite. I still have it on my phone because I use it a lot (I wish there was another platform, but that’s where lots of people I talk to are) – if you don’t then I’d suggest just uninstalling.

sadexpunk

yeah i will do. i have it as a bookmark in my browser anyway, its just the messagings a bit awkward in that but its no great shakes, ill uninstal the apps.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

They mean use Facebook via browser not the Android app.

Greenery isn’t a battery manager it’s a way of seeing what’s being used on the background memory and wake locks etc to see what processes are resource munchers

andytherocketeer

app killers are pointless.
    things that are designed to run as a background service will automatically just restart.

facebook was certainly a parasite, and on my HTC, one of the packaged apps in the bundle that could not be removed. as were several of HTC’s own apps that insist that they are going to be in charge of anything social or related to what’s local and navigation.

not what you want to hear, but I fixed that by replacing it with a Nexus, and making sure any such apps do not get installed whatsoever. plus my battery eventually died.

if I use FB, it’s via the web interface. and it stops complaining about you using mobile web rather than a custom app.

scotroutes

My Xperia has loads of settings under Power Management for enabling/disabling apps running in standby mode, including the option for switching off wifi. Is there nothing like that on your M8?

seosamh77
    Free Member

Buy a portable battery charger you can stick in your car/bag/inside pocket and stop worrying about battery.

sadexpunk

They mean use Facebook via browser not the Android app.

yep, got that, its now uninstalled. for some reason tho there were 2 facebooks in my apps, one is ‘facebook for htc sense’ which cannot be uninstalled. facebook isnt in my app drawer now tho.

My Xperia has loads of settings under Power Management for enabling/disabling apps running in standby mode, including the option for switching off wifi. Is there nothing like that on your M8?

not sure where id find all that, but i could ‘force stop’ some apps if i wished, dunno if thats wise or not. i can certainly switch off wifi if i so desire, thats easy, but not sure how thats relevant here?

Buy a portable battery charger you can stick in your car/bag/inside pocket and stop worrying about battery.

got one, but never had the need to use it yet, and hope i dont have to 🙂 like i say, batterys always been great so far.

thanks

scotroutes

Well, in my case switching off wifi means that comms apps (like Facebook) can’t do anything.

scotroutes

Also, a faulty cell in your battery could cause apparent power to drop from 50% to 25% almost instantaneously.

sadexpunk

Well, in my case switching off wifi means that comms apps (like Facebook) can’t do anything.

nope, havent heard that before, i got notifications on both wifi and normal phone reception. mebbes a setting somewhere i didnt manage to come across.

back to normal today, its on 75% at present (17.00hrs) 🙂

garage-dweller

My Sony launches bucket loads of what appear to be useless apps that you can’t then shut off and which I haven’t used in two years of having the phone.

I don’t know whether the fault is with the os or the phone but every update makes them use more ram and more cpu so the phone runs ever slower.

It’s like loading up windows opening outlook, the whole office suite, photoshop, 30 different browser windows full of irrelevant clap trap, iTunes and a cad package just so you can add up ten numbers in excel.

Cougar

for some reason tho there were 2 facebooks in my apps, one is ‘facebook for htc sense’ which cannot be uninstalled.

I think that’s the component which deals with the phonebook and launcher integration (so you can FB contacts listed in the People / dialler apps). Could be wrong though.

The full Facebook app is a pig though. It’s one of the things that killed my Nexus 7 post-lollipop; if I want to use FB I’ll just use the website, there’s little practical difference in functionality. Messenger’s tolerable if you switch off those infernal pop-up heads.

sadexpunk

Messenger’s tolerable if you switch off those infernal pop-up heads.

how do you do that then? and what replaces them if someone wants to chat?

nemesis
    Free Member

Open the messenger app, click settings and then untick chat heads

If someone messages you, you’ll just get a normal notification at the top of the screen

sadexpunk

thanks mate, might reinstal for a look.

dti

my sony android phone is has the annoying feature of switching notifications back on when they are updated even though I have selected to switch them off.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘android battery usage question’ is closed to new replies.