Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Android app for following gpx?
  • molgrips
    Free Member

If I have a pretty existing gpx file is there a decent app that will help me follow it as I would with my Garmin?

scotroutes

Have a look at GPS Essentials

DrP

mmtracker will also do this…

There’s a link on this site, that links to another site, that has the install file!!
    I always just google it!

Here you go… (it’s the STW page..you need to earn the rest!!

DrP

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Back country navigator, for a one off £7.99 you can over lay your gpx’s on to OS Map’s down to 1:25k

molgrips
    Free Member

Well, backcountry navigator is not impressing me.

Impenetrable and badly drawn UI
    Crashes every 5 min on my Samsung S6
    Doesn’t seem able to import a GPX – imports, then the database is always empty

smurfly13
    Free Member

Depends what type of map you want to overlay on – road or OS?

Galileo Maps will let you import it onto OSM maps – can download offline and free of charge.

That, or convert it to a kml file and maps.me will do it on OSM as well (prefer this app) – again offline map storage for free.

Edit: I also have MM Tracker for OS maps which is great, but you need to have the OS map files as well (mine are about 8-9 years old now I think!)

molgrips
    Free Member

Feeling gypped with backcountry tbh, for a tenner.

molgrips
    Free Member

How the hell do you get a gpx onto Galileo?

andywill

It’s not as easy to use as it could be,but backcountry navigator work’s we’ll for me. Though that will be of little consolation to you.

molgrips
    Free Member

Save from tracklogs as GPX, copy to SD card, select import in BCN, then.. what? status bar icon appears, disappears, the nothing. Not an error message, not even a **** you.

**** amateurs, charging professional prices.

smurfly13
    Free Member

How the hell do you get a gpx onto Galileo?

Last time I imported one I just emailed it to myself and when it said what app to open in I choose Galileo, which then auto saved the file in the app.

molgrips
    Free Member

Viewranger is miles more polished. It’s given me an error message at least. Looks like there is a problem with the GPX file generated by Tracklogs.. bummer.

jimdubleyou

Runtastic MTB

scotroutes

Got a URL for the GPX file? I could try it on another couple of systems and see if it’s also throwing up errors.

molgrips
    Free Member
    molgrips
    Free Member

scotroutes

This is not a valid file or URL. The resource is either corrupt or has an unsupported format. If it is a KML or GPX file, ensure that it has a valid XML declaration.

theboyneeds
    Free Member

Alpinequest works well with gpx.

scotroutes

That file opened OK in Basecamp on Windows.

molgrips
    Free Member

It’s the standalone=”yes” in the XML PI at the top. It works when I remove that. FFS.

scotroutes

Just managed to open it in GPS Essentials on Android too

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

molgrips – Member
    Feeling gypped with backcountry tbh, for a tenner.

You could have taken the free trial to try it out :-).

I’ve never had any issues with it crashing, importing and overlaying gpx files off the internet / from my hard drive.

Impenetrable and badly drawn UI

what’s this?.

I think it’s good, I’m willing to try and help you out if you want?

markgraylish
    Free Member

Molgrips: aren’t you an IT person?? If so, you know the answer RTFM! 🙂
    I’m a long term user of Back country Navigator and it has a fairly comprehensive feature set, including the ability to manage gpx files in multiple internal “databases”

Anyway, email me the actual gpx file and I’ll see whether it will load. Personally, I think it’s worth the price because of the depth of functionality but the Play Store reviews have similarly comments to yours because the user hasn’t got a f++king clue what they just downloaded nor took the time to read the help files….

But, yes, the UI is…err.. special

Rubber_Buccaneer

I didn’t like the UI of back country navigator either but it is good for the money so long as you can get OS mapping from Bing. I settled on View Ranger as it works nicely across different platforms including android wear.

Biggest disappointment for me is the official OS app. Have a go at getting your gpx into that pretty but half finished pos.

Rubber_Buccaneer

aren’t you an IT person?? If so, you know the answer RTFM!

I thought most IT people google everything?

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I’m also long term user of BCN and the presentation has always been a bit ‘special’, yet there’s nothing else available at the price as far as I’m aware. It’s got more complicated and therefore more special, but it all still works very well for me and I’m hopeless with complicated tech.

molgrips
    Free Member

Molgrips: aren’t you an IT person?? If so, you know the answer RTFM!

Yes! That’s why I never RTFM!

I expect the UI to be well enough designed that you don’t need to. Anyway.. I fixed the GPX because Tracklogs was putting something in the file that other tools didn’t recognise. Removed it and it worked.

molgrips
    Free Member

Interesting:

If the standalone declaration has a value of “yes”, for example, <?xml version=”1.0″ standalone=”yes”?>, the parser will report an error if the document references an external DTD or external entities.

There was an external entity referenced but standalone still set to “yes”. Bug somewhere…

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Android app for following gpx?’ is closed to new replies.