Viewing 10 posts - 81 through 90 (of 90 total)
  • And you still gets slagged off for buying online (LBS content)…….
  • Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

Hora, the real one to spot is " yeah, we've ordered it but it hasn't come / (supplier) haven't got any in stock"

At a rough guess, 50% of the time, its because the shop's account is overdue – there's a lot of shops being run by people who are better salesmen/mechanics/cyclists than they'll ever be businessmen…

(ps, and this includes some of the big boys too!)

bravohotel9er
    Free Member

Some skateboard shops used to be even worse…not so much these days as they're suffering from the internet way more than LBSs….Slam City Skates in Covent Garden had excellent stock levels and carried loads of great brands, but the staff there were invariably such choppers.

Snowboard shops can be terrible too, typically rubbishing any brands they don't carry. I recall going into one in Poole (not Ride, the other one just across the road) with a friend who had bought a Rome Agent deck and a Dakine board bag from them for the best part of £450. The guy got really funny with him when he heard that he'd bought some boots from another shop.

He was trying to tell us that '32' (the brand) were universally regarded as rubbish…well, sorry mate, but they're the best and lightest brand out there, as evidenced by the fact that around 80% of all seasonaires I know wear them and they're carried by every snowboard shop worth shopping in.

hora
    Free Member

At a rough guess, 50% of the time, its because the shop's account is overdue – there's a lot of shops being run by people who are better salesmen/mechanics/cyclists than they'll ever be businessmen…

When I first left Uni I went to work for a global brand in their accounts. Most of their small and mid-sized customers (shops) asked for account holds to be lifted/increased credit limit and pleaded that they were a small and passionate business. For the first few weeks I really did fall for that.

Then my Finance manager pointed out to me thats how you make money in life/retail… you sell something that you haven't even paid for yourself yet.

Yes, I forgot about that.

than they'll ever be businessmen..

….and thats when the shop owner turns to the loyalty/struggling/support your local bikeshop ploy.

Anyone for 10p mugs of tea to help Joe Smith decide if he can afford the £2,000 new bike this year? 😈

ganic
    Free Member

bravohotel9er

He was trying to tell us that '32' (the brand) were universally regarded as rubbish…well, sorry mate, but they're the best and lightest brand out there, as evidenced by the fact that around 80% of all seasonaires I know wear them and they're carried by every snowboard shop worth shopping in.

32 boot are terrible, utterly hopeless boots. Until recently they didnt even have footbeds. They still use the same last for a size 9 and 10 and just change the liner size. Lots of people wear them because they are cheap to stock and often discounted. Seriously avoid 32.

bravohotel9er
    Free Member

#
    ganic – Member
    32 boot are terrible, utterly hopeless boots. Until recently they didnt even have footbeds. They still use the same last for a size 9 and 10 and just change the liner size. Lots of people wear them because they are cheap to stock and often discounted. Seriously avoid 32.
    Posted 2 hours ago # Report-Post

Sorry, but I utterly disagree.

Have had two pairs of Lashed and a pair of Team Two, all of which were fantastic.

I've used them for a full season in Banff/Lake Louise, another in Chamonix
    and 18 weeks in a variety of other resorts in addition to countless Dendex/Snowflex/fridge sessions.

I've also used DC, Vans, Burton and Northwave and am firmly of the opinion that 32 are great.

martinxyz
    Free Member

Its funny when folk come to the shop and they tell you they just bought this and that for the bike.. and you point out on the shelf that the same item is actually cheaper in the shop than online. The look on their faces is class. especially when you tell them you would have also fitted it for free.

another thing.. dont get carried away with these big online stores showing the percentage of what you are saving over the rrp.

The rrp is often false.one big company quite often does this and i nearly sprayed the screen with coffee when i noticed the "50% saving over the rrp"

so do yer homework and find out how much you are really saving before hitting the buy button.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Its funny when folk come to the shop and they tell you they just bought this and that for the bike.. and you point out on the shelf that the same item is actually cheaper in the shop than online. The look on their faces is class. especially when you tell them you would have also fitted it for free.

And offered them some good advice on their bike, some chat about local trails, some banter about whatever took their fancy and, who knows, perhaps even a cup of tea and a biscuit.

Viva los LBS!

martinxyz
    Free Member

hey.. i can make you a pair of boots better than 32s out of old milk cartons!

hora
    Free Member

And offered them some good advice on their bike, some chat about local trails, some banter about whatever took their fancy and, who knows, perhaps even a cup of tea and a biscuit.

So thats better than saving someone £400 of their wages? 😐

uplink
    Free Member

Its funny when folk come to the shop and they tell you they just bought this and that for the bike.. and you point out on the shelf that the same item is actually cheaper in the shop than online. The look on their faces is class. especially when you tell them you would have also fitted it for free

It's good to know there are bike shops in Utopia, what number Flying Pig lane are you?

Viewing 10 posts - 81 through 90 (of 90 total)

The topic ‘And you still gets slagged off for buying online (LBS content)…….’ is closed to new replies.