• This topic has 46 replies, 22 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by bails.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • And we accuse our police of corruption…
  • Cougar

Just spotted this article via Facebook:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/french-police-anal-rape-suspect-truncheon-paris-officer-accident-sodomised-expandable-baton-theo-a7572581.html

The keywords in the URL pretty much sums up the story. A young youth worker in France ended up having to have emergency reconstructive surgery after the police rammed a truncheon up his proverbial.

An appalling tale in itself, but what absolutely staggers me is the defence. The police claimed that they were applying a truncheon strike horizontally across his backside (as you do) when his trousers suddenly fell down of their own accord. The courts ruled in the police’s favour due to lack of evidence (aside from the guy with a truncheon-shaped hole in is arse, one assumes).

jambalaya
    Free Member

Appalling indeed. The police do have a reputation for being tough. The rough neighbourhoods are rough. All this in one of Europe’s most left leaning countries.

Stoner
    Free Member

Des Engrenages was no documentary then

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Who accuses our police of corruption?

project
    Free Member

Poor lad,

cheekyboy
    Free Member

And we accuse our police of corruption…

Hands up those who accuse our Police of corruption

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

What’s this story got to do with corruption?

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Appalling indeed. The police do have a reputation for being tough. The rough neighbourhoods are rough. All this in one of Europe’s most left leaning countries.

😆
    Leave our plod alone! They’ve worked hard to get the reputation they have.

MSP

I would guess that the initial police internal investigation looks like a cover up.

Jamie
    Free Member

Well. Someone was corrupted.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

the initial police internal investigation looks like a cover up.

You mean that you are unconvinced by this explanation?

“A lawyer for one of the officer’s suggested his expandable baton slipped into the man’s anus by accident”.

That’s after the gentleman’s trousers slipped down all on their own of course.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

jambalaya – Member

All this in one of Europe’s most left leaning countries.

Yes of course, 4 years of a “left-wing” president has transformed the culture within the French police to one which is now brutal and sadistic, this is what you get when you vote “left-wing”.

Cheap shot well made jambalaya.

Cougar

Who accuses our police of corruption?

I see what you’re doing here which is why I chose my words carefully.
    EDIT: actually I realise now, I didn’t; I intended to write “some people” but it got lost in a rewrite.

Of course in reality, no-one has ever accused the police of corruption, founded or baseless, ever.

joolsburger
    Free Member

However several thousand if not tens of thousands of totally law abiding and fairly selfless French coppers are drinking vino and lamenting the actions of these arseholes who have made their jobs a fair bit riskier.

Generalisations are the bane of modern life if you ask me.

MSP

You mean that you are unconvinced by this explanation?

Who hasn’t accidentally slipped backwards onto an extendible baton after their pants has just slipped down in suburbia, I am just shocked such a thing could happen in such a awfully common place while an officer of the law had to witness it, I hope the officer in question is getting the physiological help he needs to get over such a horrific incident.

Cougar

Generalisations are the bane of modern life if you ask me.

Good job no-one’s done that, then.

joolsburger
    Free Member

The police

How much more general can you get?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Of course in reality, no-one has ever accused the police of corruption, founded or baseless, ever.

I see, thanks for clearing that up. From your sarcasm it’s clear that by saying “we accuse our police of corruption” you meant that there have been cases in the UK where police officers have been accused of corruption.

It was in fact just lazy tabloid-style generalisation on your part.

EDIT for your edit : I intended to write “some people” but it got lost in a rewrite. Fair point which I wouldn’t disagree with.

Cougar

How much more general can you get?

You can infer any meaning you like in order to have an argument, but that’s not what I meant.

CountZero

Let’s face it though, the Met don’t exactly have a reputation of selfless public service over the years; I don’t think I have to bother posting up the video of the bloke being beaten to the ground by a masked Met officer, with no ID shown during a demonstration, and the Met closing ranks and denying all responsibility.
    I do believe the victim died as a result.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

“The Police” came to my house tonight (1 occifer).
    “The Police” carried out an arrest today (several occifers).
    “The Police” are going on strike tomorrow (all the rozzers).
    “The Police” are shite (Sting +2).
    🙄

Cougar

It was in fact just lazy tabloid-style generalisation on your part.

No, I just couldn’t be arsed spending 20 minutes formulating my sentences so that they were water-tight in the face of people who seek to find an argument where none exists. We’ve been down this road before, I didn’t intend to generalise regardless of what you’re inferring, you’re just spoiling to call me out. If my initial post was unclear, here’s your clarification.

And of course, that’s clearly the crux of the story.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Let’s face it though, the Met don’t exactly have a reputation of selfless public service over the years

The Met’s legendary brutality is well known. As is the fact that the police in the UK are among the least corrupt in the world.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

in the face of people who seek to find an argument where none exists.

Oh here we go, the classic Cougar stroke…..“If you don’t agree with me it’s because you’re looking for an argument”.

km79
    Free Member

As is the fact that the police in the UK are among the least corrupt in the world.

Being among the least corrupt doesn’t make them not corrupt does it?

genesiscore502011
    Free Member

Erm Hillsborough was a pretty corrupted situation.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Yeah sure, British police are corrupt. Time to move on methinks.

km79
    Free Member

Bye then.

teasel
    Free Member

ernie_lynch » Oh here we go, the classic Cougar stroke…..”If you don’t agree with me it’s because you’re looking for an argument”.

It’s weird you spot that, Ernie. The first time I engaged you in debate on this forum you accused me of the same despite any evidence to support your claim.

What’s that little saying…we teach best that which we most need to learn.

Being among the least corrupt doesn’t make them not corrupt does it?

Indeed.

joolsburger
    Free Member

Implying that the problem of police corruption is widespread and endemic is completely counter productive. If it’s inappropriate to say Islam is a problem or that the church is full of pedophiles I don’t think it’s wrong to apply the same standard to criticism of the British police forces. Specificity is sadly lacking and it’s divisive and ignorant.

Cougar

Oh here we go, the classic Cougar stroke…..”If you don’t agree with me it’s because you’re looking for an argument”.

Here we go, the classic Ernie stroke, I’ll never back down.

I’ve told you explicitly what I meant regardless of poor wording in the first place, if you’re still intent on picking at it that’s your lookout.

MSP

Who remembers the BBC’s excellent Hillsborough disaster documentary from last year? One of the things that struck me most about it was the way that the ordinary rank and file were closed down to telling the real story that they had witnessed, they were the majority but through power, influence and fear they were made to shut up.

Has that really changed now? The Tomlinson murder, gate-gate and other high profile cases seems to suggest that the power of propaganda is still alive and well, and they expect to get away with it without overwhelming evidence to the contrary, especially without the scrutiny of a more critical press.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Implying that the problem of police corruption is widespread and endemic is completely counter productive. If it’s inappropriate to say Islam is a problem or that the church is full of pedophiles I don’t think it’s wrong to apply the same standard to criticism of the British police forces. Specificity is sadly lacking and it’s divisive and ignorant.

Except, as demonstrated the term “The Police” can be used to identify a single plod or the whole body of rozzers, unless you want to start an argument where it doesn’t exsist and look silly.
    Yours a Welsh, English teacher.

thecaptain
    Free Member

In this particular case, I’d say the police aren’t the problem, the courts are. (Obviously the police were the source of the original problem with the anal rape.)

yossarian
    Free Member

Ernie is better at this than cougar.

Cougar

What, trolling? You’re probably right.

siwhite
    Free Member

The Tomlinson murder

The Officer was found not guilty, in Court, of the lesser charge of manslaughter. I’m not trying to defend his actions, but Tomlinson wasn’t murdered.

To brand ‘The Police’ as corrupt is akin to stating that all Muslims are terrorists.

bullheart
    Free Member

This thread is bananas.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘And we accuse our police of corruption…’ is closed to new replies.