Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • And today's kitchen Q is: (Brita) filter taps
  • IHN

Any good?

Hard water area, always filter tap water in a Brita filter jug before it goes in the kettle otherwise tea tastes minging.

As we’re having the kitchen redone, I thought we might get a tap with the filter already in it. Anyone any experience?

And no, we’re not get a boiling water tap.

mark90
    Free Member

Hard water area here. We have a water softener for the main house supply, and a reverse osmosis filter system for drinking water taken off before the water softener. Much better than the Brita filter jug we used at our old house.

As a bonus to tasting better we haven’t had to de-scale the kettle once since moving to this house with the RO system fitted.

IHN

Ooh, wassat then?

footflaps

Hard water area, always filter tap water in a Brita filter jug before it goes in the kettle otherwise tea tastes minging.

Same here, but it doesn’t remove all the scale, kettle still needs de-scaling every few months.

globalti
    Free Member

Biggest con since food supplements. A filter doesn’t remove dissolved molecules like chlorine and calcium, which is why the kettle still scales up.

Generally hard water tastes better than soft; it’s probably the chlorine you’re tasting because your water is coming out of a borehole or a river and is needing to be treated heavily.

Tiger6791

Britta built in tap with filter for past 7 years with London water.

Very good, very convenient

Would recommend 😀

(Kettle is 3 years old and never needed descaling)

chewkw
    Free Member

Try several sticks of Japanese Kishu Binchotan/activated charcoal to absorb all the chlorine, bad scent etc …

I want to try some but a bit expensive to buy here I mean how much for two sticks of charcoal?

Wiki – info.

🙂

IHN

Biggest con since food supplements. A filter doesn’t remove dissolved molecules like chlorine and calcium, which is why the kettle still scales up.
    Generally hard water tastes better than soft; it’s probably the chlorine you’re tasting because your water is coming out of a borehole or a river and is needing to be treated heavily.

Right, well, whatever the jug filter is removing, it means that my tea tastes a lot nicer, doesn’t have a horrible scum on top and doesn’t stain the mugs. I’d like something that will do that, if that’s okay with you

chewkw
    Free Member

My kettle does not scale up that much with filter.

Yes, water taste better with filter.

grantway
    Free Member

If your in an Hard water area and your worried then a water softener is maybe what your looking
    Other than that for filtering water I would buy a Sawyer mini filter and fit a seperate drinking tap in the kitchen

the charcoal filters are more or lease a con as they Are really any good if you have a natural drinking source
    And take away the taint in the water,

Take a look at Sawyer filters! Yes they more on traveling but they shouldn’t be pushed to one side,

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

I have one, cost about £100 when Robert Dyas had them on special, fitted it myself as it was easy & I’m happy with the results (Hertfordshire), less happy with the cost of replacement filters, but the kettle needs a lot less attention & it tastes nice straight from the tap (3 month filter change or I can taste it at month 4)
    HTH.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Hard water area here. We have a water softener for the main house supply, and a reverse osmosis filter system for drinking water taken off before the water softener. Much better than the Brita filter jug we used at our old house.

As a bonus to tasting better we haven’t had to de-scale the kettle once since moving to this house with the RO system fitted.

it won’t be a RO system, that would be dangerous as the water would strip minerals from the body.

chlorine doesn’t cause scaling

Generally hard water tastes better than soft;

no, it’s the other way around. Ask anyone who lives in Oswestry

it’s probably the chlorine you’re tasting because your water is coming out of a borehole or a river and is needing to be treated heavily

boreholes in a “good” catchment need little treatment and often were only dosed with chlorine. Crypto risk has meant that now the treatment is beefed up

river water always has needed high levels of treatment due to the variability of the water quality etc (high rainfall events), in addition river water is “softer” than borehole

taste issues are complex but generally there are less complaints in “soft” water area’s, hard water is arguably bteer for you as less dodgy minerals (lead) are absorbed in distribution to the tap

Cougar

taste issues are complex

I wonder if part of that is just what you’re used to? I’d happily drink the softy shandy-drinking water straight from my Lancashire taps but can’t stand the filth that comes out of ones in London.

joshvegas
    Free Member

r I would buy a Sawyer mini filter

Won’t remove the chlorine etc

PePPeR

Hard water may taste better, but people live longer in soft water areas! (useless fact of the day)

Tiger6791

I would buy a Sawyer mini filter

If you want to drink from a stream

However you’d need about 100 (wired in parallel) to achieve any sort of flow.

I wonder if part of that is just what you’re used to? I’d happily drink the softy shandy-drinking water straight from my Lancashire taps but can’t stand the filth that comes out of ones in London.

????????

Cup of tea here in London is rubbish compared to Wharfedale water at my Mums

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘And today's kitchen Q is: (Brita) filter taps’ is closed to new replies.