• This topic has 24 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • And This Week's No. 1 is….
  • rkk01
    Free Member

Not going to be on the Beeb….

… Or is it?!

colournoise

Everyone chose the wrong song to get behind. We could have had the same message AND a decent piece of songwriting.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-BZIWSI5UQ[/video]

aka_Gilo
    Free Member

All rather pathetic really. (Not the Costello song – that’s superb).

ChubbyBlokeInLycra
    Free Member

nah, catch the mood of the nation
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GwjfUFyY6M[/video]

kimbers

meh wtf cares about the charts anyway, pretty much all they are good for these days is a protest song or gimmick see rage v xfactor and gangham style

rkk01
    Free Member

Costello for next week

Or Elton John’s (?) “Merry Christmas Maggie Thatcher”…!
    (Nearly wet myself when kid’s primary school did that one in a play!

Lyrics

Northwind

Now they should organise a massive free Wizard of Oz performance in Hyde Park

TuckerUK
    Free Member

nah, catch the mood of the nation

Wow, the UK only has a population of a few thousand now? Who knew?

oliverd1981
    Free Member

I think they should just play the chart and not mention current affairs. Gosh.

TuckerUK
    Free Member

All rather pathetic really.

I’m not sure about pathetic, but it is illuminating the depths some people will stoop to.

Off hand, I can’t think of a person I would like to see hanged more than Tony B.Liar for his part in the Middle East invasions and occupations. But I wouldn’t be so crass, insensitive, or base to lower myself to the levels some of the people celebrating Baroness Thatcher’s death have. And even if I did feel that way, I wouldn’t exclaim it publicly so that everyone knew I was an oik.

ton

i suppose it depends on how much his/her actions affected your life tucker eh?

yossarian
    Free Member

What a load of bollocks TuckerUK. she ruined the lives of many, many people who she did not respect or value. Just because she became old before she died why should those who she made suffer NOT celebrate?

Celebrating it publically is just being honest and actually that matters more than what other people think. Particularly those who put image before truth.

molgrips
    Free Member

Celebrating it publically is just being honest

I was happy when she left office. To be happy when she died is simply nastiness imo. She may have been nasty to you when she was in power, I doubt she was recently. She’s certainly not being nasty now.

ton

molgrips,,,,so people should just forget?

molgrips
    Free Member

No, remembering is not the same as gloating over something that’s not actually relevant any more anyway.

rkk01
    Free Member

My mind boggles that those who think very highly of Thatcher find it so very hard to accept that a huge number of the population have very different views…

In the main, I have been very impressed with the measured and balanced tone of the commentary from former adversaries. It would be perhaps a little more dignified, and a lot less provocative if the sycophants were less vocal and a little more measured and balanced in their praise.

With the exception of close family I have largely been quiet on the subject of Thatcher’s death. The angry young man of 25 yrs ago would have expected rejoicing, but time, age and position has mellowed me… Let the past lie

BUT, I have found myself becoming increasingly irritated by the tone of many of the supportive commentators – especially Tory MPs on the TV and radio. They should take a leaf out of some of the more balanced commentators book. She was loved by many and utterly, utterly despised by many.

As well to accept that and move on.
    Trying to ram down everyone’s throat how great she was is going to increase the voice of those who have quietly forgotten

yossarian
    Free Member

I was happy when she left office. To be happy when she died is simply nastiness imo. She may have been nasty to you when she was in power, I doubt she was recently. She’s certainly not being nasty now.

I know what you mean Molgrips. Some communities are still living with the consequences of her actions though aren’t they? And some people would probably argue that her legacy of self interest and profits ahead of people are the major reason for many of today’s problems and divisions. On that basis why shouldn’t they celebrate?

I’m pretty neutral about it, but I dislike being told how I should react to something that I know is massively personal to a great number of people. It’s another part of her legacy maybe.

ton

of course it is relevant.
    my parents divorced in 1986, cos my dad was a alcholic/gambler.
    after we had gone throught the strike the pit he worked at was shut and he was unable to get a job he drank and gambled his whole pay off.
    things got pretty bad between them, i have not spoke to him in 20yrs.

some wounds dont heal.

ChubbyBlokeInLycra
    Free Member

And even if I did feel that way, I wouldn’t exclaim it publicly so that everyone knew I was an oik

well being an oik, not the kind of person who routinely uses words like oik, i am happy the evil old witch has finally pegged out. i’ll be happy to see the back of blair as well.

Northwind

molgrips – Member

No, remembering is not the same as gloating over something that’s not actually relevant any more anyway.

I’d care a lot less if it weren’t for the ceremonial funeral and recall of parliament so we can all be told how brilliant she was. I don’t find that any less crass than drinking milk in George Square but only one of them is costing us millions of pounds.

ChubbyBlokeInLycra
    Free Member

Trying to ram down everyone’s throat how great she was is going to increase the voice of those who have quietly forgotten

it’s not just what happened all those years ago. tbh, had she just shuffled off, i’d have made few possibly inappropriate comments, but all this state funeral wasn’t she great let’s recall parliament bollocks is polarising a lot of people’s opinions. including mine, and firing up some pretty unpleasant memories

brokensoul
    Free Member

I know of a couple of ex Yorkshire miners and their wives (one of whom is the daughter of a late ex-Yorkshire miner and Barnsley councillor), who’ll be out in Wakefield tomorrow evening.
    Not celebrating, not dancing, but not wanting to pass up the chance.

grum
    Free Member

To be happy when she died is simply nastiness imo. She may have been nasty to you when she was in power, I doubt she was recently.

Maybe people are happy that she’s no longer claiming hundreds of thousands of pounds per year of state benefits she didn’t need?

Drac

We’ve let one thread on this topic remain for people to express their varied opinions on this matter so this one is now closed.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘And This Week's No. 1 is….’ is closed to new replies.