Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 121 total)
  • And this is why you can only get a job in a shop…
  • mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

In Lush at lunchtime…

Me: 'Can I have a £20 Gift Voucher please?'

Shop assistant: 'Sorry, we don't do them. We only do £5 and £10 Vouchers'

Smee
    Free Member

I blame the education system. It doesn't each our kids to think.

BigDummy
    Free Member

I think it's a fair point. You want it for a present, right? How cheap are you going to look if you give someone two £10 vouchers rather than a £20?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

How cheap are you going to look if you give someone two £10 vouchers rather than a £20?

LOVL!

BlingBling
    Free Member

What part of her answer was wrong?

Jump down off your high horse and answer 🙄

KINGTUT
    Free Member

What part of her answer was wrong?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

WTF were you doing in that pile of shite of a shop anyway, you cheapskate?

Get to Jo Malone and stop being so miserly.

jackthedog
    Free Member

How cheap are you going to look if you give someone two £10 vouchers rather than a £20?

You joke about it, but from my auntie I once received:

1x £10 voucher
    1x £5 voucher
    2x £2 voucher
    1x 98p in change

BlingBling
    Free Member

all for different shops too? 😆

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Well, technically, she was correct and I appreciate that.The point being she was unable to make the assumption that it was not actually a £20 voucher I wanted, I just wanted vouchers to that denomination. The posts above had managed to figure that fact out, as I am sure you had too. Hadn't you? 😉

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

WTF were you doing in that pile of shite of a shop anyway, you cheapskate

11 year old niece – she likes their stuff and I ain't gonna start trying to guess what she might like instead of something she has said she does like.

BigDummy
    Free Member

In all seriousness, mastiles could perhaps have avoided the problem by asking for "£20 worth of gift vouchers please", but the assistant could easily have simply said "2 £10s OK love?"

Afterall, if you order coke in a pub, they say "is Pepsi alright?", not "we only have Pepsi", because they know you don't care unless you're odd. 🙂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

OK, I take it back. Ideal for an 11 year old!

😉

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

OK, I take it back. Ideal for an 11 year old!

Goodho! And I don't mind being called a cheapskate – she was bought an bl00dy iPhone from her mum and dad – that is more than enough for any 11 year old's birthday.

coffeeking
    Free Member

In all seriousness, the request was at fault, not the girl. You should have asked for vouchers to the value of, not for a voucher of that value. She was just pointing out that she didn't have £20 vouchers. This is why I always used to ask for "vouchers to the value of, please". These days I dont see the point in sending vouchers, they're just the same as notes but usable in fewer places.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

In all seriousness…

In all seriousness, if I had known that she was unable to make the assumption that I did just want vouchers to that value, I would have been sure to have made my request more clearly understood to her.

It was so mind-numbingly stupid a response I couldn't even muster up the enthusiasm to come back with a witty retort either.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

In all seriousness, I can't believe this one made it to more than ten posts….

coffeeking
    Free Member

But it's like the whole coke-pepsi thing, they're probably required to specify the difference by some stupid policy. I'm tired of being asked "is pepsi ok?"

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

These days I dont see the point in sending vouchers, they're just the same as notes but usable in fewer places.

So she doesn't spend the money on cider or whatever it is 11 year olds spend their money on these days…

Stoner
    Free Member

So she doesn't spend the money on cider or whatever it is 11 year olds spend their money on these days…

I trust her parents have control over her iPhone apps then?
    🙂

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I trust her parents have control over her iPhone apps then?

She and her 12 yr old sister both have one and they won't let their mum and dad near them! I keep meaning to show my brother how to restrict their usage…

deft
    Free Member

Could you hold your breathe long enough to go in? The one in Chester honestly makes me feel nauseous walking past

Drac

I don't get it?

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

It's equally possible that the person knew exactly what they were saying and were just being deliberately literal, flippant, facetious, because they don't like their job and any customer is just a pain in the arse.

It reminds me of what used to wind me up behind the counter, often you'd ask the customer if they wanted a bag?. Loads of people would say along the lines of, "Yes please, if you've got one?". Obviously they were just being polite, but I used to think, "why the fringin hell would I ask you if you wanted a bag, if I didn't have any?, you stupid numb nuts!".

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

just being deliberately literal, flippant, facetious

Judging by the vacant look in her eyes, I don't think so.

grumm
    Free Member

This must rank as one of the most spectacularly worthless threads ever on STW – bravo! 🙂

Jezkidd
    Free Member

I'd like add a pedantic comment but I think it's already been said

splatz
    Free Member

Pepsi doesn't taste like Coke it's awful.

samuri
    Free Member

Afterall, if you order coke in a pub, they say "is Pepsi alright?", not "we only have Pepsi", because they know you don't care unless you're odd.

/waves

pepsi is minging!

BigDummy
    Free Member

So what do you order instead if they've only got Pepsi? 😯

willard

How about, next time you go to a pub that you know damn well does not have Coke, ask for it, then have a massive rant about how coke is far better than whatever dodgy cola they have, then just give in and order a double whiskey instead.

That will teach them.

samuri
    Free Member

I sit there thirsty, that'll teach them.

Mister-P
    Free Member

Slightly off topic but my favourite shop assistant question is if I stop at a petrol station to pick up a drink when out on my bike in full roadie riding gear is "any petrol?" 😆

badblood
    Free Member

Is it just mee that gets slightly annoyed when I ask for a Pint of COake in a pub to be told that they do not do them and you can only get one size? Why the change? They do beer in Pints so why not coke? It really grips my sh*t!

hilldodger
    Free Member

..can 'only' get a job in a shop

🙄

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

The government prints vouchers which can be used in nearly all shops and even exchanged for beer I'm told…

MrSalmon
    Free Member

It was so mind-numbingly stupid a response I couldn't even muster up the enthusiasm to come back with a witty retort either.

No, it wasn't. Get over yourself. The only good thing about this story was that you didn't get around to your 'witty retort'…

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

The government prints vouchers which can be used in nearly all shops and even exchanged for beer I'm told…

As pointed out once already – So she doesn't spend the money on cider or whatever it is 11 year olds spend their money on these days…
    😉

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

So she doesn't spend the money on cider or whatever it is 11 year olds spend their money on these days.

hmmm – are you some kind of control freak ? If you don't respect the kid enough to let her make her own purchasing decisions then perhaps you should just not give her anything ?

Mog
    Free Member

'And this is why you can only get a job in a shop.'

Really? Do people actually think like this – presumably the guy who works in your LBS can 'only' get a job there too? I'm impressed you managed to stay in there long enough to find out about her background, talents, abilities, traits, beliefs, qualifications etc.. I can't walk past the one in our town – the smell!!

Honestly, the title's got to be tongue in cheek, right??

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 121 total)

The topic ‘And this is why you can only get a job in a shop…’ is closed to new replies.