Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • And the conclusion for best lightweight multitool for the Road bike is ….
  • Kryton57

…well?

stevied
    Free Member

it’s the lightest one that has all the tools you need on it…

oliverd1981
    Free Member

a 5mm allen key with the other end beaten flat to make a tyre lever?

TiRed

SKS microtool. 37g . Tyre levers that work, three allan keys, a cross screwdriver and a spoke key. Plus room for Topeak flypaper patches and sandpaper. Don’t over tighten or the weld will fail. Used it on Sunday to adjust a seatpost height. Note that this is placing emphasis on lightweight

bigyinn
    Free Member

Somone ACTUALLY worries about the weight of their multitool. How very odd.
    I presume you have a big steaming pre-ride dump and ride naked to save those vital grams? 🙄

Kryton57

It doesn’t have to be the lightest, just something small compact and appropriate for a shirt pocket.

sefton
    Free Member

not odd at all, if your a roadie and carry these in your jersey pocket then you don’t want a heavy multi-tool slapping about.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Picked up one of these for a fiver at the Surgery the other day

Impulse buy, but pretty impressive. I think it’s basically a debadged Lezyne.

Kryton57

That looks good CFH and I know its only a fiver, but I’ve £30 each of CRC and wiggle vouchers to spend…..

Lezyne you say…. hmmm

Rockplough
    Free Member

I have a Topeak Mini 9 Pro Carbon for road duties. 73g, a bunch of good quality allen keys, philips driver, and a couple of tyre levers. Very solid. All in a tiny wee package with a neat neoprene sleeve. Really very nice.

Kryton57

Rockplough – no chain tool….

Rockplough
    Free Member

This is true. If you want one with a chain tool though, you’re really out of the ‘lightweight’ realm. If weight is an issue you’d probably be better carrying something like the Mini 9, plus a separate wee chain tool.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Cb with the chain tool though I don’t gaf really I need one it goes in.

Edit# i is not a pro

warton
    Free Member

the one your mate carries, so your pockets are full of cake.

qwerty
    Free Member

FuzzyWuzzy

I carry a Lezyne one but even then I still have a separate small park chain tool and normal 5mm allen key as I want a decent chain tool on the rare occurrences I need one and the stubby multi-tool 5mm doesn’t reach a couple of the bolts on the bike.

hilldodger
    Free Member

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=2924

Topeak chain tool with 5/6mm allen key plus a Leatherman squirt for scredrivers/pliers etc

will
    Free Member

CFH – That looks good, i’ll behaving one of those. Thanking you.

Rorschach
    Free Member

For the second this this week
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8yzcPvG6Ek[/video]

Shibboleth
    Free Member

In 25 years of roadbiking, I’ve never had the need for a chain tool.
    I just carry a Lezyne caddy pack with inflator, spare cartridge, lezyne pucture kit, spare tube, 2 Parktool tyre levers and 4, 5 and 6mm allen keys.

Dales_rider
    Free Member

I’ve told you before, you dont have a multi tool on a road bike.m
    All you need is allan keys, usualy just 3, and a chain tool

njee20
    Free Member

In 25 years of roadbiking, I’ve never had the need for a chain tool.

Lucky you, I’ve broken 3 road chains that I can recall. The first time I didn’t have a chain tool. I now carry one!

Topeak Hexus for me, not light, but has everything I want and doesn’t fall apart.

jimmers
    Free Member

Lezyne V10 does the trick for me. Lightweight and not silly money.

Shibboleth
    Free Member

Lucky you, I’ve broken 3 road chains that I can recall. The first time I didn’t have a chain tool. I now carry one!

I probably break one or two mtb chains every year but never a roadie one… They just never seem to get worn to the same degree.

Watch this, I’ll snap one next ride out!!!

Kryton57

jimmers – Member

Lezyne V10 does the trick for me. Lightweight and not silly money.

My money’s going here unless anyone convinces me otherwise….

Gary_M
    Free Member

Lezyne SV10 which is tiny, I think its a stainless version of a v10.

I’ve told you before, you dont have a multi tool on a road bike.m
    All you need is allan keys, usualy just 3, and a chain tool

I don’t see the point of doing that when you can have all that in a very small multi tool.

3 allan keys and a chain tool would weight much the same as the tool I carry anyway.

Dales_rider
    Free Member

So come on then K 57
    What are you anticipating you are going to fix when out on your road bike ?

atlaz
    Free Member

I have a cheap one I got with a bike mag. Light and does the job.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Probably the same things you anticipate you’re going to fix when you take your 3 allan keys and a chain tool.

Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

+1 for Lezyne V10

Kryton57

I’m in a quandary now over the v10 and sv10 *drums fingers*

RoterStern
    Free Member

I’ve also got one of those Lezyne multi tools mainly because it fits in the Lezyne bike wallet which is a great piece of kit. Can’t fault either really.

Northwind

I use a Topeak Hexus, because the difference in weight is irrelevant and because getting caught out without the tool I want because I decided to save 2 grams would be annoying. Once you’ve got 3 allen keys and a chain tool, there’s no real saving over a multitool.

And I don’t worry about the tiny increase in size, because it lives in a saddlebag, along with all the other things I don’t want sticking into my back.

sweaman2
    Free Member

A slight aside but I’ve recently upgraded to a 10spd road bike. How do you fix a 10spd chain? My procedure for a 9spd always involved removing the broken bits and shoving in a sram powerlink. Does the same apply for a 10speed…. (I know I could look this up but the thread got we wondering)

whatnobeer
    Free Member

What are you anticipating you are going to fix when out on your road bike ?

If he’s anything like myself and folk I ride with, it could be anything from adjusting a front or rear mech thats rubbing (screwdriver), truing a wheel after a crash (spoke keys), adjusting rubbing break pads (torx), removing a tyre (tyre lever), on top of all the other things that use allen keys.

Kryton57

Yes that ^^. Fwiw I’m trying to find a size comparison for a v10 vs an sv10 vs an object I know the size of – anyone got any suggestions?

edhornby

I say don’t try and be a weightweenie with tools, get good ones…

456and8mm hex
    miniparktool chain tool with spare quicklinks – knocking the pin out isn’t a problem but trying to get a new pin in when you’re outside getting cold not thinking straight…
    3 tyrelevers
    pump and tubes in the jersey pocket

you probably won’t need the screwdrivers if your gears are working properly but can’t hurt if you have one

palmer77
    Free Member

This^

WTF
    Free Member

Lezyne V10 is what I use but have found that chain tool is a almost useless.
    Was looking for a suitable replacement reading this.

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

Crank Brothers 17. Best quality multi tool I’ve ever, ever had. Fact.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘And the conclusion for best lightweight multitool for the Road bike is ….’ is closed to new replies.