Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • And the best MTB BB is a darkside one!!
  • tinsy
    Free Member

About 2 years ago I made the odd choice of buying an Campagnolo Ultra Torque chainset to run SS and 1×9, after all that time of moderate once a week riding through all weathers it had started clicking a bit so I thought i would pull it appart to see what it needed, 10 mins later and it was all appart the main shaft splits in the middle and both arms can be pulled out of the BB cups and it takes the bearings with it still located on the shaft, the inside of the bearings has no seal and with a can of WD40 and the little tube you can force the dirt back past the outer seal, a quick re pack with grease and it all popped back together.

Probably less effort than even the new King BB.

Makes you wonder why all BB’s are not built to be serviceable, I have read you can do Shimano with effort (will doing that bike next) but this system is actually built to be serviced, make you wonder why others arent…

Wish they did a MTB specific version for my other bike running a triple.

Dibbs
    Free Member

all that time of moderate once a week riding through all weathers

I would class that as very light use, I’ve been using XTR BB’s considerably more than that, and without the slightest problem or need to strip and maintain. ❓

tinsy
    Free Member

XTR stuff is always great, but as my Campag cranks are not even designed for offroad use its been quite a good effort on their part to outlive the XT on my other bike, and now I know I can re grease it so easily its going to outlast even your XTR, albeit with a little maintenance, 1 bolt and its appart isnt too much effort….

My point was why dont other BB’s make it so easy to service, the King one is more ££ than my chainset and you need their grease gun for the job.

Junkyard
    Free Member

they want your money hence they cannot be serviced.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Doesn’t that saying go “Campag stuff is just wearing in as Shimano wears out”

Much more of the Campag stuff is designed to be serviced, Shimano is very much fit, forget, replace when knackered. You can rebuild and get parts for Campy ergo shifters, the Shimano STIs are chucky out if broken jobbies.

As junkyard says, why build the ultimate b/bracket when people are only going to buy one of them (cynical I know)?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘And the best MTB BB is a darkside one!!’ is closed to new replies.