Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)
  • and still the creak goes on….wot now.
  • elaineanne
    Free Member

MR WILDLY ::: wHY ARE YOU SWEARING at ME FOR ‘BLOODY’ GODSAKE MAN.. 😉
    yes ive done it NOW- NOW -now…checked for hairline cracks in the Hub where the spokes go as you have insisted….NO BLOODY CRACKS ..ive had the torch on it too….what else shall i do to it.. NUKE IT ????? hahahahha 😉 ok ive greased things as much as possible…will be a follow up shortly ..
    wots ‘drop outs’ btw…. maybe i call it something else.lol 😉

elaineanne
    Free Member

is the bearing in the swing arm easy to do yourself…..unscrew the black discs on either side of swing arm ( i just greased in there yesterday also…(whilst supporting the swing arm and somehow tap out the ‘bearing’ how do you get the bearings out.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    big_scot_nanny

Elaine, I know folks re banging down the free hub/hub route, and I have had this issue also. Simplest way to check is bang in a different wheel ASAP and give a quick run round the block to check.

I had it on my 29er and chucked in a random old 26er wheel just for a quick spin, and it was indeed the wheel that was the problem. once that was diagnosed it was down to the LBS for a check.

on the other bike it was a stripped non-drive side crank arm bolt (HT2) that was the culprit.

Kev

ndg
    Free Member

My five had a creak when I built it up (second hand frame).

Tracked it down to the swingarm not clamping the bearings fully. Ended up sanding the spacer blocks down a touch to increase the clamp load on the outer races. I found this as I was stripping down to check the bearings were smooth.

Another idea to add to the pot!

flyingmonkeycorps

Does the Five have replacable dropouts? My old Heckler had a horrid creak when I got it, a bit of grease in the dropout / mech hangar solved it nicely.

Bottom bracket threads were the orgin of my creaks, and pretty much still are. Have to regularly strip and regrease. I agree with the wheel swap plan for diagnosis, there is a lot of potential in a wheel if you can swap and try without that rear wheel I think it will narrow your options considerably.

elaineanne
    Free Member

whilst re-tightening random bolts up on the bike i found my pedal bolt was really loose (had been at lee quarry yesterday maybe it came too loose (lol) hence the creaking strain on the pedal when force applied. (hope it was that …anyway cleaned any muck n grit off that loose pedal and greased that too…so c how i go…. its wet outside at the mo, seems like the bike just likes creaking when its bone dry outside too..lol im certainly on with the creaking quest :mrgreen:

BTW…cheers for the above link.. 😉

duffle
    Free Member

Hopefully you have cured it with the above but I found that a different ie less torque on the bearing pivot pinch bolt sorted the creaking on my 5.

neilpaterson1969
    Free Member

Had an anoying creak on my bike for a while turned out I’d tightened myhollotech crank too much the plastic pretensioner doesn’t need much tightening

old_mtber
    Free Member

I had this problem on my 5.
    Either replace the pivot bearings or check that the alloy wedge that holds them in place is clean on the machined inside face and is properly aligned with the swingarm. Also torque up the 2 bolts correctly (12-14 nm)

elaineanne
    Free Member

so originally when i rang ‘orange’ up he said they dont like to change the pivot bearings too often they are sealed…so those of you with orange fives..how often do you change yours ?

duffle
    Free Member

My apologies in advance for this but………
    When they need changing! 🙂

Disconnect the shock (only one end) and manually move the swing arm through its travel if rough change if not leave em!
    sorry but this is all I do

bainbrge

Have you checked it isn’t slack spokes on the rear wheel? I went through this whole process with my 5 and it was the spokes rubbing and creaking against each other.

vancoughcough
    Free Member

lol this thread

you might as well just johnny 5 the whole bike Stephanie!

old_mtber
    Free Member

I changed the bearings on my 5 after 3 1/2 years of weekly riding. They were full of mud and the outer shell was broken on one hence the cracking noise. However they still worked and had no obvious sideways play when the shock was disconnected.

old_mtber
    Free Member

Changing the bearings is easy. Orange will send you an instruction sheet with a new bearing kit and there are plenty of references on the Internet with video etc. All you need are 3 & 5mm hex wrenches, a soft faced mallet and some copperslip grease. When tapping the swingarm off the old bearings make sure you only hit the welds. The most time consuming bit is to properly align the swingarm on the new bearings. If you can’t get the instruction sheet mail me and I’ll send a copy of mine. I also used the link mentioned above which shows exactly how to do it.

seanodav
    Free Member

Mates pivot bearing was shot after a year, but we do ride in some crap.

phil50
    Free Member

I had a creak on my Cube Ams Pro, that sounded as if it came from the bottom bracket. I had to strip and clean the right pedal after it started the click. After the pedal strip clean the creak has gone. Mybe
    coincidence.

elaineanne
    Free Member

well last nite after general tightening of bolts etc i did come across a not so tight bolt on the pedal…-i hardly had to turn it… (i did say under pressure i thort the noise was coming from crank area (which was put down to numerous theorys.. anyway after greasing the pedal thread – today i went on the 3 biggest hills i could find here in the ‘calderdale valley’ (which there are plenty of ! i purpously started out on a very dry hill and no creaking wot so ever ! carried on over the bridleways then back into town then up a slow long tarmac hill at the end of my ride just to check out the pedals agin, no creaking for a couple of hours (ahh bliss)….for the moment touch wood no creaking….so will see what happens over the next few weeks…so for me it was a looser than normal pedal bolt…
    i will use that above link for future ref in the next few weeks if needed….thanks all for your input…..some good advice for once.. 😉 even if my speling lets me down sometimes…lol (i blame the wind in the calder valley it does tend to blow your brains somewhat…hahah 😉

Lummox

Well done on tracing the creak, looks like it wasn’t the fault of the frame ( unlucky 5 haters)

Another fault causing a creak on my five was a snapped pro 2 bolt through axle, changed the pro 2 hub for a bulb and silence as well as IMO a sturdier axle design.

Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘and still the creak goes on….wot now.’ is closed to new replies.