Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 88 total)
  • And so the inevitable happens
  • dumbbot
    Free Member

The man, the internet legend, Dave Jenvey spanners himself good and proper by breaking his collarbone.

Clearly didn’t have enough speed to take that drop and I would not go near most of the stuff he chucks himself down without some proper coaching. Get some coaching Dave ffs.

maxtorque

It was nothing to do with a lack of speed, and everything to do with poor body position and not unweighting before he left the edge….

(he rolls in, gets right off the back, BEFORE the front wheel has left the edge, so his arms are locked straight, and bammo, the front drops, pulls his arms, which pulls his body forwards, and the rest, as they say, is history….)

(It’s the classic issue with drops., especially big scary ones with people not confident in them, they get right back as they approach, and seal their fate)

I believe he actually had a Jedi day booked, but the broken collar bone might scupper that 🙁

plus-one

No Josh Bender is he 😀

shermer75
    Free Member

Is this guy really well known?

dumbbot
    Free Member

Yeah clearly i’ve got no idea what im talking about, that’s why I do not go anywhere near anything like that drop.

Your explanation seems about right,. Bit late for Davey boy, heal well.

tillydog
    Free Member

He actually sat on his back tyre which is what really pitched him forwards:

It really was inevitable. You’ve got to admire his ambition though!

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PPQIwS8qjA[/video]

Get well soon, Dave!

nickc

That guy has been an accident waiting to happen for some time now!

Get well soon Dave!

km79
    Free Member

He is a bit like a cross between jackass and david brent but not in as bad a way as that might sound.

Potdog
    Free Member

Watch his ArdRock videos, he can fall off on the transitions 😆

peter1979
    Free Member

I’ve been following him on YouTube and comment on some of his videos. He always replies.
    I usually comment that he seems to beat himself up so much over his lack of skill, yet always seems to hit the big stuff, and he just needs to build himself up slowly.

Obviously it’s too late now, but he really needs to get a couple of lessons.

I really enjoy his videos though, for me they are more relatable than the pro stuff. He seems a genuinely nice guy.
    I hope he keeps the channel going. Id like to go out on a ride with him. Just to see him attempt something stupid.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’ve been following him on YouTube and comment on some of his videos. He always replies.
    I usually comment that he seems to beat himself up so much over his lack of skill, yet always seems to hit the big stuff, and he just needs to build himself up slowly.

In fairness, I’ve been out with near complete beginners who’ve proceeded to do the ‘big’ rock-drop at Stainburn (the one out in the open, not the little one on the Hope line in the woods). I think it was a mix of “it’s just the same as a kerb, but bigger” (which it probably is) and a lack of fear of the consequences! Everyone who can ride off a kerb, so everyone can probably scale that up*, it’s just the intervening 15 years of knowing how much crashes hurt that keep me closer to the ground!

*which is where Jedi comes in, getting your ‘kerb’ drop dialled in, then working on the confidence to scale that up.

Kamakazie

Yeah timing looked ok to me so was wondering how the front dropped like it did but hitting the back tyre looks about right.

Ouch.

jamesfts
    Free Member

“pretty sure my neck brace saved my life.”

No, I’d say his neck brace is the main reason for his trip to hospital and he’d probably have walked away from that crash if he wasn’t wearing it.

voodoo_chile

This guy should not be allowed to walk on his own never mind try to ride a bike …..I fear he will really hurt himself soon !

voodoo_chile

This guy should not be allowed to walk on his own never mind try to ride a bike …..I fear he will really hurt himself soon !

peter1979
    Free Member

Uh, it’s too late for that voodochile. He’s spannered for a while now. Shame.
    I find the other homemade riding channels just too samey. Even Gmbn is getting a bit repetitive.

zilog6128

he rolls in, gets right off the back, BEFORE the front wheel has left the edge,

to be fair, this is what his “mate” shouts at him to do right before he goes over the drop!

Rorschach
    Free Member

Dang…..talk about ambition outstripping skills.
    Top marks for effort though……

prawny

Ouch.

TBF though, I think up until his arse hit the tyre that’s about the best I’d seen him riding.

voodoo_chile

My word he’s scary

MrSmith
    Free Member

Video flattens everything so I thought it was a huge drop, nearly wet myself laughing when he hit the deck and I realised how close it was to the lip :lol

What’s even more disturbing is this little episode needs a self reverential discourse on you-tube, but then we live in the age of narcissism so I guess that’s to be expected.

kormoran
    Free Member

Sincerely hope that if I ever stack like that my mate doesn’t just pull my lid off.

FFS 😯

peter1979
    Free Member

Mrsmith, that drop is probably the biggest feature at the forest of Dean, it doesn’t look big on the video but it’s probably about 8 ft from the lip to landing area and the landing is very steep with a tight berm at the end just to make it worse.
    It’s got a pretty technical run in and when you get to the lip of that drop it’s pretty scary.

I don’t think I’ll ever attempt it!

Rorschach
    Free Member

Most people are more skillful riders than they are brave…….. a few however are the other way round.
    They usually end up quite broken when their luck runs out.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

pretty sure my neck brace saved my life.”

No, I’d say his neck brace is the main reason for his trip to hospital and he’d probably have walked away from that crash if he wasn’t wearing it.

Utter. Shite.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

He’s just a normal Joe, trying to be a better biker, whilst enjoying doing it.

Anyone who decries him should post up their own vids, or let us know what position you do finished in the WC….

Come on then, let’s see it.

Best of luck Dave, met him at ard rock, he’s a good guy.

Rorschach
    Free Member

I don’t think anyone is suggesting he is not a good guy.
    Though I always enjoy seeing the ‘unless you are the best in the world than your opinion is worthless’ argument come out.
    Only second to seeing righteous indignation by proxy…..he likely does’nt give a @~#$.If he does then it’s probably not a great idea to plaster himself across youtube.

DezB
    Free Member

My only thought was if you’re gonna try stuff you haven’t got the skill to ride ffs learn how to fall! The main reason he busted his collarbone was because he stuck his hands out in the classic foosh fall. Tuck n roll!

boxelder

EDIT – he’s braver than me. Heal quickly Dave.

Rorschach
    Free Member

😀

survivor

Well spotted tillydog. I couldn’t figure out why he pitched forward so quickly. Looked like he touched the brake but arse stopping the tyre will do the same.

Get well soon Dave but please ride within yours means. Your trying to run before you can walk. 😀

jamesfts
    Free Member

Utter. Shite.

Thanks.

They’re renouned for snapping collar bones, especially in slow speed awkward crashes.

They transfer the impact straight into your shoulder/collar bone.

Northwind

It’s a pretty nasty feature that, it wouldn’t be much if it had a nicer run in but I found I couldn’t really get set up nicely so it was all pretty hairy.

maxtorque

^^ this, the trick to that drop is two fold:

1) getting cleanly and confidently around the corner before it. As you’re worried about carrying speed off the drop, you tend to tense around the turn, which tends to result in an awkward scrubbing off of speed. it’s even worse when you session the drop, because that’ll all you concentrate on, and you tend to forget the corner before it is almost as important!

2) Trying to get the bike stood up straight so you can pop the lip. Made worse if you’ve messed up the turn, you’re busy trying to put few pedal strokes in, and that means one tends to try to cram the all important “pop” into the last 2 foot in front of the lip!

Like all drops, once you’ve ace’d it, you wonder what all the fuss was about, but stood on the lip, with your knees trembling looking down, well, that’s a different story

Rorschach
    Free Member

^^ this, the trick to that drop is two fold:
    1) Don’t be a giffer
    2) Don’t be a giffer

cookeaa

Who is this clown then? Is he Internet famous or something…

What’s even more disturbing is this little episode needs a self reverential discourse on you-tube, but then we live in the age of narcissism so I guess that’s to be expected.

I did think that, a few seconds into his thanking the baby jeebus, his mum and whoever else was involved in making this special moment I spun on to see the supposedly interesting bit (at least he helpfully told you when it was), Meh… Seen more spectacular tumbles TBH.

And yep, hang a bog seat round your neck, it will help snap your collar bone… Stay safe kids!

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Fair play to the lad, of course he’s rubbish, he’s just starting out, that’s the whole point of the channel, surely. He’s got some minerals I’ll give him that.

tillydog
    Free Member

I really enjoy his videos though, for me they are more relatable than the pro stuff. He seems a genuinely nice guy.

+1

(I can’t claim to be the one to spot the arse vs tyre interface – it came up in discussion on youtube when he posted the video.)

ian martin
    Free Member

Never seen this guys videos before but after viewing the one in the link I think he comes across as a genuinely nice guy.

But I think his main problem is that he’s learning to ride jumps and drops whilst riding a down hill bike, that bike is giving him a false sense of security (as is the full face helmet and neck brace).

I think he’d be better off learning to ride on a hard tail as you get more feel of what the bike is doing and a better sense of speed.

Also he seems to hit the jump at a speed to fast to roll it and too slow to clear it. Plus his body position wasn’t good.

Wish him all the best with the recovery though.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Mrsmith, that drop is probably the biggest feature at the forest of Dean, it doesn’t look big on the video but it’s probably about 8 ft from the lip to landing area and the landing is very steep with a tight berm at the end just to make it worse.
    It’s got a pretty technical run in and when you get to the lip of that drop it’s pretty scary.

8ft, what, with a Pinkbike ruler? It’s not even half that. You can actually roll it if you really want to. The ‘landing’ starts about 1ft out in distance & 2ft down at the most.

The run in on the video tells you all you need to know – he couldn’t hold enough speed over the roots without basically losing control of the bike.

He could have saved it if he wasn’t so far back, the front end tucked & he didn’t have the strength to hold the wheel straight. He could have got away with scaring himself a lot instead.

Sadly a lack of WC DH video’s from me so my opinion is worthless.

Hope he heals up ok, as a fellow current broken collar bone rider, it sucks 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 88 total)

The topic ‘And so the inevitable happens’ is closed to new replies.