Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Analyse this (Light rims/hubs question)
  • Kryton57

Bit of a bargain spot for my lightweight wheel search. I’ve never heard of Ryde rims, or Fun N-light hubs but have googled a bit, just wondering anyone has experience to comment on either of these wheel sets at sub 1500g for £350:

Fun N-Light hubs on Crest Mk 3

Fun N-Light hubs in Ryde XC Comp

I’d appreciate any real world feedback, wheels will be used for general trail & marathon racing.

Thanks

Kryton57

Anyone sitting around today with any knowledge?

I found a prior singletrack thread were 2 of 10 people with the Ryde rims has bent them and there were questions on their ease of going tubeless. I’d default to the Mk 3 Crests then, they don’t fold up these days?

otsdr
    Free Member

I’ve had a pair of road disc wheels from Actionsports for a couple of years now, the hubs (N-Light Evo CC) are still going strong.
    I would also go with the Crests.

wwaswas

I’ve got ride enduro 29er rims – they’ve been fine so far, don’t remember any problems being the setup up tubeless.

Kryton57

The offset ones? I think its those that are pointed at as being the issue.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

DCR uses and has a blurb on Ryde rims

Ryde Pulse

Ryde rims

and a bit in

Road disc rims

Kryton57

Built for the XC-racer and the trail rider, offering extremely low weight and maximum functionality with 3 millimetres offset for a stronger wheel and an optimized width to get the most out of your bike and the maximum performance out of your tyres.

But:

I know what you’re thinking. I would nevertheless strongly advise against this rim unless you are a very light rider. Please don’t be too drawn in by the 340g weight and 100kg rider weight limit. Theoretically yes, but the reality is these rims aren’t that stiff. The extrusion is just too modest for that. Think of them as a race day rim. They work better in 650b than they do in 29er. If you are going to use them, use a stiff spoke and hub combination. Ideally something like Tune and D-light.

Not Marathon 29 then…

munkster
    Free Member

Ryde rims used to be called Rigida rims.

That’s all I got 😉

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Analyse this (Light rims/hubs question)’ is closed to new replies.