Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • An OT what tyres thread! Kumho tyres – anyone used them?
  • thepurist

It's time to replace some tyres on my car & the local garage I use has given me the option of using Kumho's for a lot less cash than Pirelli's etc. Most stuff I've read on the web seem quite positive which is quite unusual considering most people prefer to post a moan, so just wondering if any you good people had any experience of them.

TIA

thegreatape
    Free Member

I've got them on both my cars, no problems at all (although I drive my own cars pretty gently so don't know what they're like at warp speed). The guy who runs the garage in our village said that quite a few new cars come with Kumho tyres now. He recommended them.

fadda

Yep – good tyres. Similar construction quality to some big names, but rely on others' research, so they not quite cutting edge (ha, ha). Good budget choice.

jam-bo

Don't last long, I blew through a set in 5000miles. Performance wasn't good enough to justify that wear level.

Gribs

I've got some on my hack Mondeo and they seem fine. I've done about 10k on the fronts and there's still some life left and I tend to be reasonably hard on tyres.

luke
    Free Member

there above a budget tyre more mid range, alongside hankook.
    Truck owners love them as there cheapish and reliable.

Don't last long, I blew through a set in 5000miles.
    What car's that on? what tyres do you normally use ? and how many miles do you normally get from them?
    some cars will eat a set of fronts in 5k other 55k i'm assuming it was the fronts and not the rears, and was the wear even on them? I'd be asking questions of the tyre pressures, tracking etc if it was one of my customers cars and only getting 5k out of them.

spooky_b329

I wanted Falken FK452 but when I returned to the fitters he'd decided to fit its replacement, ZE912's instead. Had a little moan but he quickly convinced me as they are bi-directional whereas the 452's were not. So I can swap them left to right to keep the wear even.

Anyway, they are quiet, cheapish, got clever round holes that turn to squares to tell you when to rotate the tyres. They also fixed the horrible banging and shuddering that I used to get if I used a bit too much right foot pulling away from junctions, now just get a quiet chirrup to prompt the gf to moan at me 🙂

And those 'benchmark' Pirelli P6000's are apparently crap according to this website: http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyres_For/Ford/Mondeo.htm

Obviously all the reviews have to be taken with a pinch of salt as any tyre is going to feel good compared to some old worn out tyres that are probably under inflated.

Edit: There is a 50% chance the old tyres that caused the banging and shuddering during wheelspin were Kumho Ecsta's,, 50% as can't remember if they were fitted to front or rear. Felt like the engine was going to drop out each time it happened!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘An OT what tyres thread! Kumho tyres – anyone used them?’ is closed to new replies.