Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • An MTB
  • kayak23

Unless I’m missing something (quite possible), shouldn’t it be ‘A MTB’?, as in ‘A mountainbike’?

Folks round here seem to always put ‘an mountainbike’….which sounds a bit odd to my eyes, or are mountainbikes like hotels?

Just an observation, or perhaps ‘a observation’?
    As you was…

mefty
    Free Member

It is “An MTB” because the way you pronounce the leeter name, M, is em so it phonetically begins with a vowel, however it is a mountain bike as you are pronouncing the M normally rather than as a letter name.

Cougar

I suppose it depends whether you’re pronouncing “MTB” as “emm tee bee” or “mountainbike.” Unless you’re doing the latter, “an emm…” is surely more natural?

Though I’ve never understood why RP speakers use “an” with words beginning with H, that just sounds weird to me. So what do I know.

mefty
    Free Member

Though I’ve never understood why RP speakers use “an” with words beginning with H, that just sounds weird to me.

Again it depends how the “h” is being pronounced, it is an hour but a horse.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Unless I’m missing something (quite possible), shouldn’t it be ‘A MTB’?, as in ‘A mountainbike’?

You are missing something, it should be a ‘a Multi Terrain Bike’ 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

Ridiculous.

It’s:

An enduro steed
    A gnarmac bike
    An XC weapon

And so on.

bigblackshed

You used the word “weapon”. A word that will accurately describe the contribution to this thread if it manages to reach two pages.

😉

kayak23

That’s an cleared that up then.
    Anne.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

An gnarpoon, shirley?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘An MTB’ is closed to new replies.