Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 89 total)
  • An intelligent footballer
  • Mackem

Can anyone .explain to me why if you are dressing as a person for a party and they are black you can’t black yourself up?

Jamie
    Free Member

Yours.

Outraged of The Internet.

Wookster

Mackem +1

perchypanther
    Free Member

He’s not that intelligent. That’s a basketball.

jam-bo

does this mean those bodybuilder competitions are racist too?

Stevet1
    Free Member

Mackem – Member
    Can anyone .explain to me why if you are dressing as a person for a party and they are black you can’t black yourself up?

Because history.

IHN

Because people who are black (or ‘of colour’ if we want to use the accepted phrase) face huge amounts of prejudice, maltreatment and discrimination because of the skin colour they have that they did not choose. Choosing to adopt that skin colour ‘for a laugh’, before taking it off again to continue enjoy the privilege that comes with being white (not to say male and wealthy in this case) is seen as distasteful.

There’s plenty of other people he could have chosen to dress up as that wouldn’t have needed him to black himself up.

jam-bo

There’s plenty of other people he could have chosen to dress up as that wouldn’t have needed him to black himself up.

like micheal jackson 😉

IHN

ooh, you are awful.

jam-bo

i prefer bad.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Yep like a basketball player…

angeldust
    Free Member

Mackem – Member

ITV4 usually shows 1970’s comedy shows (e.g. On the buses) on weekday afternoons, if you are keen on living in the past.

pb2

Cup-tea-storm-in 🙄

If I am going to be outraged and angry then there are plenty of serious issues like homelessness, tax evasion, underfunding of the NHS etc that give me more reason. I really cannot get excited about a footballer in questionable fancy dress.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

i prefer bad.

I’ve had enough of you, just beat it will you.

steve_b77
    Free Member

I mean, it’s not quite in the same ball park as a member of the Royal Family dressing up as a Nazi is it.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

If I am going to be outraged and angry then there are plenty of serious issues like homelessness, tax evasion, underfunding of the NHS etc that give me more reason. I really cannot get excited about a footballer in questionable fancy dress.

Not to mention climate change, overpopulation, global wealth inequality, etc. To be honest, there are so many problems in the world, I think we can all allow a little bit of casual racism to go without having to kick up a fuss about it.

theotherjonv

probably go to hell for this, but:

I vociferously condemn it, but the 190 is too good to go unnoticed.

jam-bo

maybe we should Heal the world
    Make it a better place
    For you and for me
    And the entire human race

ransos
    Free Member

Blacking up = not cool.

firestarter
    Free Member

Blacking up = not cool.

This is of course because the black will absorb more heat and reflect less away

Jamie
    Free Member

What we need to realise, is it doesn’t matter if your black or white.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Mackem – Member

Because in the 70s (and probably later) a lot of white people thought it was pretty funny to make themselves up in way to look like a really exaggerated version of Black people and act the arse at their expense – of course “it was only a laugh” but I doubt I would have seen the funny side if I was on the other side of the fence.

I think it’s part of recently history most people would like to forget and it’s just one of those things you don’t do because the reward is tiny and the risk huge.

angeldust
    Free Member

Right or wrong, and even with innocent intentions, is it hard to be unaware that this is seen as racially insensitive in modern society. Not understanding why it is wrong (like the people above), doesn’t make it okay. I expect the usual ignorant racists will be here to have there say any minute….

The interesting thing here is that Griezmann will have had lots of interaction with black teammates, and probably lots of advice and media training to avoid this sort of thing, but that seems to have gone over his head. I imagine (please correct me if I’m wrong) that the people above who don’t understand the issue here, don’t live in multicultural areas or interact with black people. Griezmann shouldn’t have ignorance as an excuse.

ticsmon

Is it ok the other way round though ? Like the film white chicks. No fuss was made over that.

martinhutch

What we need to realise, is it doesn’t matter if your black or white.

Only if you’re thinking about my baby, which is a whole difference set of issues we need to be mindful of.

theotherjonv

Is it ok the other way round though ? Like the film white chicks. No fuss was made over that.

white people haven’t been the victims of centuries of oppression / whiteface isn’t a thing in the same way as blackface.

IHN

Because it was best left quietly forgotten, if not because of the racial issues, then because it was godawful.

angeldust
    Free Member

While different (comparing privileged people with historically abused people), I’d say it’s not okay. That film was made in 2004, doubt it would get made today.

It wasn’t funny either.

Have to admit I chuckled at the Diane Abbot fancy dress, despite the wrongness.

chakaping
    Free Member

It looks more like Avid Merrion dressing up as Austin Powers dressing up as Diane Abbott, TBF.

DezB
    Free Member

I blacked up (a bit) when I went to a party as Jimi Hendrix (it was a dead people party). And I’ve got nothing against them darkies neither.

P-Jay
    Free Member

I do remember a bit of a fuss over ‘White Chicks’ actually, but it was a terrible, terrible film so not many people had to suffer it.

It’s no ‘I’m gonna git you sucka’ anyway.

Cougar

that seems to have gone over his head.

Probably wouldn’t make a very good basketball player then.

angeldust
    Free Member

Cougar – Moderator

that seems to have gone over his head.

Probably wouldn’t make a very good basketball player then.

Pithy, and not particularly funny, as per usual. 8)

To be fair, I think he is concentrating on his football career for the time being. 😮

DezB
    Free Member

Pithy, and not particularly funny, as per usual.

Meeeoaw!

czthompson

I have to say that I don’t get the furore.. None of the photo’s show ‘blacking up’ in the black and white minstrels sense. I can understand the historical issues with the minstrels, however to suggest that you can’t ‘be’ someone as a fancy dress costume because 60years ago it was done to demean people seems a little tenuous. At some point or other all races have opressed, attacked, waged war on others. It just seems that we’ve all settled on the white folks being the baddies..

angeldust
    Free Member

Meeeoaw!

😉

angeldust
    Free Member

I have to say that I don’t get the furore.. None of the photo’s show ‘blacking up’ in the black and white minstrels sense. I can understand the historical issues with the minstrels, however to suggest that you can’t ‘be’ someone as a fancy dress costume because 60years ago it was done to demean people seems a little tenuous. At some point or other all races have opressed, attacked, waged war on others. It just seems that we’ve all settled on the white folks being the baddies..

Looks like we have another poor basketball player

ransos
    Free Member

I can understand the historical issues with the minstrels, however to suggest that you can’t ‘be’ someone as a fancy dress costume because 60years ago it was done to demean people seems a little tenuous.

Bit more recent than 60 years ago! Anyway, it’s not as if racism has magically gone away.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 89 total)

The topic ‘An intelligent footballer’ is closed to new replies.