Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • An idiots guide to Garageband please.
  • zippykona

Have this installed on my Mac Book.
    Can’t make head or tail of it even after reading the instructions.
    All I want to do is record radio shows from another source and then put them on my iPod.
    Is this possible?

Sandwich

Not with Garargeband. Audio Hijack or similar is what you want for capturing sound from the web.

peteimpreza

Hmmmmm, not really what GarageBand is aimed at, it’s all about creating music.

Let me have a think.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Garageband is for making music – i.e. connecting instruments up to it and recording them and using loops, multitrack, etc. It’s not really designed to record big lumps of sound from other sources. I’d have a browse of the app store to find something that meets your need

zippykona

Checked out Audio Hijack and a message comes up from Virgin saying I can’t look at that page as its naughty.

codybrennan
    Free Member

Audacity?

cbike
    Free Member

You can record via the line in jack from an external source, It does have a 2gb size/time limit

“share” is the equivelent of export and has itunes functions.

radio stations may have their own offline apps like the BBC?

I’m on virgin and have no issues accessing audio hijack.

DezB
    Free Member

record radio shows from another source and then put them on my iPod.
    Is this possible?

You need…Mini disc!

Tried Tune-in Radio for recording onto the iMac?

CountZero

You need…Mini disc!

Still got mine! It was great for recording stuff off of ‘Later…’, I could even title all the tracks using a PS2 computer keyboard plugged into the front. Has fade in/out on it to. Great machine. 😀

zippykona

How would the songs get from mini disc to iTunes?

CountZero

I think DezB is being a bit naughty about the Minidisc thing, I’m not entirely sure how you’d get music from disc into iTunes without third-party software. Sony’s proprietary audio format for Minidisc is DRM’d up to the eyeballs, you can only make a single copy of any given disc, for starters.
    Something like Audio Hijack is what you’re after, an app that can record streaming audio and save the files as AIFF, AAC or MP3 files. I used to use Wiretap, but it’s no longer available, sadly.
    I don’t know about Audacity as a streaming audio recorder, I’ve never really used it, and it has it’s own little idiosyncrasies, apparently.

Sandwich

Checked out Audio Hijack and a message comes up from Virgin saying I can’t look at that page as its naughty.

Strange as Rogue Amoeba are a legit software house and I got through to them straight away (on Cable from Virgin).

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Most radio stations do podcasts now so you should be able to put a radio broadcast onto your iPod for later listening anyway. A mate of mine used WavePad.

DezB
    Free Member

How would the songs get from mini disc to iTunes?

You don’t need to! You listen to em on a mini disc player silly 🙂

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘An idiots guide to Garageband please.’ is closed to new replies.