Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • An idiots guide to Disco Brake pads?
  • kevin1911

The last time I bought brake pads was about 2 years ago, as I bought a bulk load of them. I'm now running short, and have heard disco brakes recommended on here.

Now things used to be simple – either sintered or organic pads. But it seems to have got a lot more complicated. There now seem to be Ceramic Hard, Ceramic pro, Medium and Super Light, as well as Sintered.

So what specific pads would the STW masses recommend for Avid Juicy 5s and Shimano XT brakes?

Bigface0_0
    Free Member

I've been using Disco Mediums for my last 3 sets no problem what so ever but thats mostly XC Stuff with a couple of trips to Wales.

DezB
    Free Member

I always use sintered, just cos they are the longest lasting.

kevin1911

Anyone used the ceramic ones? Are they as good as they sound – as grippy as organic but longer lasting?? Worth the extra wodge?

iain1775
    Free Member

used disco mediums the other day, had to get a file to them to get them to fit – much thicker pads than original Formula Oro pads and even with pistons fully retracted I couldnt get wheel in between
    7 miles in a very wet peak district with only one decent and they are ready for replacement
    Never again (and I have another 2 pairs to get through)

benman
    Free Member

Been using the disco sintered pads all winter in the peak and they've been great. Much longer lasting than the Shimano sintered which came with the brakes, with no loss in braking performance.

The mediums that I had before lasted about 2 rides in the winter grit. Fine in summer though!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘An idiots guide to Disco Brake pads?’ is closed to new replies.