Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • An idiot guide to shortening braided Hope hoses needed.
  • Hairychested
    Free Member

Impatient, short of time with lines some 12″ too long. What do I need and how do I do it? Thanks!

MaryHinge
    Free Member

The only tools you’ll need are a couple of small spanners, 8mm IIRC, stanley knife, and some sharp cutters. If your are careful, you won’t even need to bleed afterwards.

Set the lever assembly on the bars so that it is level, undo the fitting on the hose, leaving the other part of the fitting screwed in to the lever assy. Careful not to lose the little copper sealing washer.

Push the fitting down the hose to reveal the olive. Remove the olive and the insert from the end of the cable.

Cut the hose to length. Strip off about 12mm of the pvc hose covering, ensure the fitting is on the hose, slide on the olive, fit the insert, fit the copper washer, fasten it all up. Pump the lever and you are good to go.

Sounds easy, it is, but removing and re-fitting the olive is a really fiddly job. You’ll realise why I said SHARP cutters. I think the olive is split, you’ll probably need to prise it apart a bit to get it off, then crimp it back together to get the fitting to slide back over it on re-assembly. It is a really snug fit.

Good luck.

Leku
    Free Member

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Hairychested
    Free Member

Thanks, just done it. I wonder, is it going to work?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘An idiot guide to shortening braided Hope hoses needed.’ is closed to new replies.