Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • An endurance rider wanting a little fun
  • jako

Ok bear with me. This will ultimately be a what bike threat.

I mainly ride road and “compete” in long distance triathlon events. However I am not adverse to longer distance mtb events like Big Dog etc. However mainly mountain bike because it is great year round cross training and because it is great fun.

I bought a Spe Epic (29″ expert)back in late 2012 figuring it would fit the bill in terms of what I like from a mtb. Before that I had an approx 2006 Giant Trance with 4.2″ travel. To be honest I hate the Epic. It feels like riding a super tanker. But loved the Giant and selling it was a cock up.

So I want to sell it (different threat) and replace it with something new / different. My take is that 29rs have come a longe way – slacker, longer tops, shorter stays etc.

My first thought was to get a HT and enjoy the ease of maintenance. But thinking about it I am getting older and comfort does play a role.

So I think what I. Want is a full suspension bike, which is fun to ride, will not be out of place at Big Dog or the crossing and is easy / low maintenance. I am also a sucker for less mainstream brands.

So far I am thinking

Santa Cruz Tallboy C
    kona Hei Heil Dl (trail rather than race)

What else should I consider? Say budget around £4K

And breath…

chakaping
    Free Member

kona Hei Heil Dl (trail rather than race)

I’d quite like one of these too.

Not sure there’s much else out there yet. Maybe when Transition do a carbon Smuggler.

rico70

If you fancy building one up I have a 2014 Giant Trance Advanced (carbon) frame, fork, shock, dropper post, headset, stem, and front mech on sale for £1,065 on Ebay. Size is medium, so ideal for around 5’11”. 140mm travel and a lot of fun to ride.

frankconway

Check out the new Lynskey ti full susser; reviewed in mag in past few days.
    If you like what you see you could talk with Hotlines who are the UK importer about custom sizing.

woody71
    Free Member

Trek Top Fuel or Norco Revolver

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

What?

You’re a sucker for less mainstream brands but you’ve had a giant and a specialized and now you’re looking at Santa Cruz and Kona!?

Does not compute!

Anyway. I suspect if you’re mainly a roadie that the Epic feels like a supertanker because road bikes in general are way more twitchy. In this regard, most modern MTBs are going long and v slack which is going to magnify the feeling you hate by making them more stable.

Nor sure what the answer is.

scruff9252

Agree with the supertanker feeling. I got back on my xl 29er full sus xc bike late summer after training for the proceeding 18 months on my TT bike for an IM. The thing feels like a monster truck in comparison. Good fun though!

chakaping
    Free Member

Anyway. I suspect if you’re mainly a roadie that the Epic feels like a supertanker because road bikes in general are way more twitchy. In this regard, most modern MTBs are going long and v slack which is going to magnify the feeling you hate by making them more stable.

As the OP suggested, 29ers used to have stupid long chainstays. Most now don’t – so feel spritely by comparison.

And Santa Cruz and Kona are less mainstream than Spesh and Giant, no?

mrblobby
    Free Member

This guy always seems to be having fun on his Epic 🙂

scotroutes

Salsa Spearfish

jako

Coming back to this. Done some test riding and am 99% sure I will pull the trigger on a Giant Anthem Advanced 27.5. Really like the way it rides. So nimble.

So much for going non mainstream

rico70

If you’re happy with a Giant my Trance Advanced frame is still up for sale, including forks, shock, dropper post, stem, front mech, headset, and bottom bracket. Now at £999. Pictures available on request. Email in profile.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘An endurance rider wanting a little fun’ is closed to new replies.