Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 112 total)
  • An empty car just crashed through my wall !
  • Junkyard
    Free Member

Its in the shade 😉

imnotverygood

Has no one blamed the OP yet for stupidly leaving his wall there on a snowy icey day? It was always bound to happen. He will get no sympathy from me.

murf
    Free Member

Lucky it didn’t hit your Impreza, claim would probably have gone 50/50 then!
    My insignia company car has a wee habit of rolling away itself, hunk of crap!

hora
    Free Member

The windscreen has been cleared so it has been used fairly recently.
    They are probably sat in their house having just gone to the offy/when it opened to get some more wine

FTFY

GrahamS

Has no one blamed the OP yet for stupidly leaving his wall there on a snowy icey day?

Yep, I also notice that the wall isn’t wearing high-viz or a helmet. Tsk.

Xylene
    Free Member

Get a bat or a pick axe handle and go mental on it. Then you can just claim it was the damage from hitting the wall, and get the fun of smashing up someone’s car

GregMay
    Free Member

Bet it won’t cost £3.5k to replace ….. probably best to just sue everyone on the road in case.

jambalaya
    Free Member

That used to happen fairly regularly near my old house, I’d be walking down the road to the station in the morning and would find cars “parked” in the fence. Left on the hill with handbrake not on properly.

Yes their insurance will pay. Probably best to call the police so they can trace the owner.

allthepies
    Free Member

Are the shit happens/chalk it up to experience/get over it/accidents happens crew on holiday or something ?

globalti
    Free Member

I find it amazing that folks park cars out of gear.

NO NO NO! It drives me MAD when people leave cars in gear, especially people who work in garages and around hire cars. It means I have to waggle the gear lever until I think I’ve found neutral then gingerly declutch, occasionally getting it wrong and stalling the engine.

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

Not time for a YPLAC sticker 🙂

I think you need a pic of the owner when they turn up OP.

Glad this is a semi-humorous thread and not a tragedy! I remember being told to always park in gear and wheels turned if on a slope to avoid run-aways.

edit: globalti. Surely, it’s good practice to start the car with the clutch depressed anyway? and why gingerly? Clutch down, push gear stick into middle, turn key (clutch still down)… where’s the hassle? You’d check to make sure the car was in neutral anyway.

globalti
    Free Member

Look on the positive side…. you’ll be able to get rid of that awful fence at last!

sands
    Free Member

Perhaps the driver Lost (their) Focus 😉

RustyNissanPrairie

I did similar with my Defender – parked up on steep avenue, put it in 1st gear but forgot to put the handbrake on – it slowly ‘wound’ itself down the hill as the compression in the engine slowly leaked away over a few hours. had left some steering lock on and it ended up nearly sideways blocking the street! really popular that day!

honeybadgerx

Must try harder….

jimjam
    Free Member

murf – Member

Lucky it didn’t hit your Impreza, claim would probably have gone 50/50 then!
    !

Bits of the wall did hit my car. Minor chips/dents. Anyway, the owner has shown up, very shocked and apologetic. He was visiting his dads house further up the road. It was kind of funny seeing the two of them standing in the middle of the road scratching their heads. No one was hurt anyway so not a big deal really.

Has anyone any experience of how long it might take an insurance company to pay out for something like this? I presume an assessor from his insurance company will be out to inspect the damage?

Junkyard
    Free Member

Are the shit happens/chalk it up to experience/get over it/accidents happens crew on holiday or something ?

Only appearing if the OP confirms a dog knocked it out of gear on exiting the car and therefore it was not the owner of the dogs fault this happened , then , and only then , should the OP be happy it missed his car and chalk it up to experience.

jimjam
    Free Member

Junkyard

Only appearing if the OP confirms a dog knocked it out of gear on exiting the car and therefore it was not the owner of the dogs fault this happened , then , and only then , should the OP be happy it missed his car and chalk it up to experience.

The owner (well it’s actually his girlfriends car so he’s gonna be popular tonight) said he had his daughter with and she was excited to get in to see her grandparents, so he parked up and just engaged the handbrake. He told me his dad constantly berates him for not putting the car in gear. I guess he will next time.

globalti
    Free Member

So what’s the damage to the car? A scratched spoiler? They’ll write it off….

jimjam
    Free Member

Just a couple of minor stone chip type dents

ThePinkster

Surely, it’s good practice to start the car with the clutch depressed anyway? and why gingerly? Clutch down, push gear stick into middle, turn key (clutch still down)… where’s the hassle?

Mrs. Pinkster’s Suzy Swift won’t start unless you do this. Seems sensible to me.

joshvegas
    Free Member

honeybadgerx – Member
    Must try harder….

I literally just walked past the aftermath of that we decided the car must have just knocked the railings over,would never have guessed it had wedged itself in like that!

wwaswas

Now you don’t see it:

Now you do:

cheers_drive

HTF did that happen 😯
    How was there enough room the car to rotate so it ended on it’s side. Especially considering the railings were involved in the mix

z1ppy

I got a job because my car rolled into some-one elses during the interview! I can’t explain why it rolled, handbrake was on (even afterwards) & working as I lived on a hill, and I’d sat in the car for 10 minutes before the interview (had gotten in & out, to check with security I had the right place), so even now I can’t explain why it happened. The interviewers were impressed with how I handled the situation.. being presented with a colour picture of my car embedded into one of the office workers cars (who I worked with for the next 5 years), I was a tad taken back but dealt with it…

I now put it in gear…

nealglover
    Free Member

Pretty normal really. I’ve been doing it for 25 years and never lost a car yet. Clearly I must know how to use a handbrake.

I’d love to see your reaction when something that’s actually amazing happens.

supersaiyan
    Free Member

I find it pretty amazing people manage to hold driving licences without having seemingly read the highway code.

Dobbo

MoreCashThanDash

MrsMC has phoned me to say that coming home in a blizzard to pick up LittleMissMC when the school decided to close, she left the front bumper on the verge at the end of our road. 🙄

She has just texted to say that it has now brightened up and all the snow has gone. I blame the teachers! 😉

Obviously I cannot mention that she chose to use the car without winter tyres today. Or the fact that we were going to take it to the local garages on Saturday to start looking at new cars to replace it 👿

richmtb

^^^
    Is that not how you are meant to park a Range Rove Evoque then? To be honest that’s some of the more considerate parking I’ve seen from that model of car

hora
    Free Member

she left the front bumper on the verge at the end of our road.

She must have done what I saw back in the last mega-winter we had 4yrs(?) ago- Zafira- *driving normally on our estate, turns and his curve takes him into a high kerb. I was stood watching and his ‘arrghh I’m going to crash face’

*Driving speed normally like you would….on a summers evening. Not on snow.

cb

This is timely – I’ve just spent an hour or so pushing beemers up the street (with the owners’ permission!). One parked up on the verge and 20 mins later rolled down the hill for 80 yards and re-positioned itself in a bush! Were it not for the small tree behind the bush, my neighbour would have had a draughty living room tonight!

Alarm went off and passenger window opened itself – very strange! Interesting to hear about the discs cooling idea further up this thread.

MoreCashThanDash

According to an update the bumper is still “sort of” attached. But she thinks I need to pull it off to make the car driveable.

Not too sure the integrated fog lights will appreciate that.

Anyway, I’m about to leave work to ride home – squinting – into the bright setting sun glaring off the roads. Then I can start duck taping the front of her car back together……

sharkbait
    Free Member

Is that not how you are meant to park a Range Rove Evoque then?

Undergroung parking innit.

nealglover
    Free Member

I find it pretty amazing people manage to hold driving licences without having seemingly read the highway code.

Incredible eh. And I managed to get my RoSPA advanced too 😉

Obviously knowing how to apply a handbrake properly, has saved me needing to take that particular piece of Highway Code “belt and braces” advice.

I do about 65,000 miles a year and have done for a long time, and visit customers all day long, so if parking in gear was the only way to avoid problems, then I guess I would have had plenty of problems before now wouldn’t I.

amplebrew

nealglover – Member

Pretty normal really. I’ve been doing it for 25 years and never lost a car yet. Clearly I must know how to use a handbrake.
    I’d love to see your reaction when something that’s actually amazing happens.[/quote]

Although its in the Highway Code for hill parking anyway, I was taught to always park in gear and not rely on just the handbrake. I can’t think of a reason to not park a vehicle in gear.

In fairness, I’ve only got 22 years; so have a bit of catching up to do 😉

Junkyard
    Free Member

Not sure why you are arguing about its clearly better to park with handbrake on and the car in gear and the tyres towards the kerb

Whilst I am relived by the anecdote that you [ neal] have not had any issue with it clearly, as this thread shows, handbrakes do fail on occasions and these simple actions may prevent the terrible carnage of a ruined wall and a subsequent STW bicker.

Driving longer than both of you …….just

GrahamS

Got to agree with Junky here – is there anything to be gained by ignoring the HC advice to leave it in gear with the wheel turned towards the kerb?

Or is this just some kind of macho “I know better than the Highway Code” thing?

Clearly I must know how to use a handbrake.

Which is great – but someone could still shunt your car with theirs and send it rolling down a hill.

gavinpearce
    Free Member

Post of the day.

GregMay
    Free Member

I’m impressed that it only took 3 pages for the bitching to start.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 112 total)

The topic ‘An empty car just crashed through my wall !’ is closed to new replies.