Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • An easy ride in the Dales ? Er, not *quite*
  • simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I avoided the Lakes today, with it being Easter, and led a ride from Ribblehead, Cam High Road, Beggarmans Road, Bainbridge, Gayle, Pennine Way, Ribblehead. About 14 miles I guessed. WRONG!! 28 delightful but tiring miles! And I got us lost :o)

thefallguy
    Free Member

Sounds like a hard day, I thought you plotted your routes using memory maps Simon? Were you keeping the truth from thebogtrotters? just an excuse to have a longer day out?

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I thought you plotted your routes using memory maps Simon?

not exactly, I use a GPS to track our routes. On this occasion I planned a route I’d not done in over 7 years, and had forgotten just how far it was! Ironically, my son was just back (v. unfit) from uni, and we had to leave him in Hawes as he couldn’t pedal any further 🙁

thefallguy
    Free Member

apologies Simon, but ahh… the joys of a student lifestyle 😀

adey205
    Free Member

sounds like a good route mate. used to camp that way alot when i was younger.(site at bainbridge. very handy for the pubs in hawes :D)

dont suppose you’ve got details as i’m looking to do a weekend up that way with some mates later in the year

knottie8
    Free Member

Simon
    wheres all the pics you used to post ?

theotherjonv

1st rule of group riding: never ever abandon a rider.

2nd rule: in the event of failure on 1 at least make it a family member, avoids accusations of nepotism and if it does go shit-shaped you won’t have to explain to his dad!

I don’t think I’ve ever underestimated a ride I’ve led by 50%, that took some doing! My worst trait is towards the end of a long group ride becoming amnesiac towards hills left to climb. I think the record is saying 4 times that ‘this is the last hill’

ton

Barnes, you abandoned your own son in the wilds of the yourkshire dales??
    you are a terrible father.
    i hope you are ashamed of yourself…. 😉

taka
    Free Member

😆 my dad refused to pick me up from wensleydale when i snapped my bars luckiley the local garage had a hacksaw 6″bars all the way back to oxenhope

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

dont suppose you’ve got details

sorry, never been there 🙁

never ever abandon a rider

he wasn’t “abandoned” as such, just left to recouperate because he couldn’t pedal any further! We went and picked him up after the ride 🙂

wheres all the pics you used to post ?

in due time, I’m still working through a backlog…

adey205
    Free Member

camp site on gayle road so you must have been near it!

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

camp site on gayle road so you must have been near it!

oh yes, I did see some tents 🙂

ton

social services will be paying you a visit this week…….. 😉

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

social services will be paying you a visit this week

uh, the lad in question is 22 and perfectly capable of looking after himself :o) Not capable of keeping with his dad though, but that’s another story…

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘An easy ride in the Dales ? Er, not *quite*’ is closed to new replies.