• This topic has 51 replies, 33 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Daffy.
Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • an astute ambush
  • legend
    Free Member

yeah that would make sense, but given that the damage is on the leading edge I wonder how the could’ve done that whilst avoiding all spinny things that tend to hang off the back of tankers?

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Just sail it to Dublin…

[video]https://youtu.be/KHPcg8MeWUQ?t=49s[/video]

househusband

yeah that would make sense, but given that the damage is on the leading edge I wonder how the could’ve done that whilst avoiding all spinny things that tend to hang off the back of tankers?

It’s been described as a ‘glancing collision’.

The prop doesn’t normally (unless it has azimuth pods or the like) protrude below or behind (as it has the rudder behind it) the actual overall ‘envelope’ of the ship; I reckon more likely the sub hit the side/keel of the other vessel.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

be a stute your country needs stutes

dalesjoe
    Free Member

I hear it was a bunkering tanker. Which adds weight to the RFA idea. Know a few chaps who work for the RFA…I wouldn’t be surprised if they weren’t to blame! Not the RFA’s finest those two!

tuskaloosa
    Free Member

househusband just checked lloyds list reports say Panamanian Tanker which was underway but name not yet known..

further to the story

Initial reports put the casualty in Gibraltan waters, but some sources said that it occurred in international waters around four or five miles from the Rock.

GrahamS

Panamanian Tanker which was underway but name not yet known..

Meanwhile, somewhere near Gibraltar… (contains swearing)

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSAezpbpWbc[/video]

Nico
    Free Member

Agamemnon was Nelson’s favourite ship. I think the Nelson connection is a bit more important than all the Greek mythology stuff.

Which raises the question of why they chose that name back then, as well as why they would persist with using it. Victory, would have been better, although it would be at the back of the phone directory.

I suspect the problem was that the captain was wearing a mountain bike helmet, not a roadie one.

gobuchul
    Free Member

Victory, would have been better,

Already got one.

Rich_s

…and at least the Victory we’ve already got actually works!

jimdubleyou

Victory we’ve already got actually works!

Define works; It’s not sailing anywhere soon!

Was on a tour once, and the guide kept on mentioning the ring bolts in the floor. When we got to the point where Nelson fell, some wag piped up “should have looked out for the ring bolts”.

Daffy

There’s a history in the Navy of reusing great names of the past. Greek heroes were a common theme, Ajax, Achilles, Agamemnon were historically cruisers and battleships, a role now taken by SSN and SSBNs as the most powerful ships/vessels in the navy inventory.

Agamemnon was one of the most powerful kings of Greece in ancient times, famous for the sacking of the supposedly impenetrable city fortifications of Troy using stealth and guile to do so….I think it’s a pretty fitting name for one if the worlds most stealthy predators.

The damage to the conning tower isn’t particularly serious, it’s a free flood area and the majority of the sensors and masts are aft of there. It’s likely damaged the tower sonar and the wet bridge, but in reality, it’s little more than casing damage. The damage to the forward hull is again likely to be casing and mooring fixtures, possibly the forward escape trunk. She’ll be fine to return to Faslane/Davenport once she’s been inspected.

Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘an astute ambush’ is closed to new replies.