• This topic has 51 replies, 33 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Daffy.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • an astute ambush
  • jam-bo

whoops. someones just got promoted to a desk job…

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-36852365

cranberry
    Free Member

I understand it will be called “a meeting without coffee”.

Yak

Pah – a parking scuff. That’ll buff out.

bencooper
    Free Member

That’s not fair, I bet the other ship wasn’t wearing hi-viz.

Still, another sub in the same class managed to run into Scotland, so I guess this is an improvement.

jam-bo

the russians did similar a while back. gibraltar straits are a tricky place to sneak about.

trailofdestruction
    Free Member

Yeah, but you should see the other guy.

Oh well, it’ll keep the lads in Barrow busy for a while 🙄

freeagent
    Free Member

Unlikely it’ll go back to Barrow for repair – Rules/regs on Nuclear material state the subs can not return to Barrow once commissioned.

I think it’ll need to be at least partially repaired where it is – doesn’t look seaworthy in that photo – and it certainly couldn’t dive.

tuskaloosa
    Free Member

2001 off the coast of Hawaii the USS Greenville ended up sinking a Japanese fishing boat when rising to the surface

GrahamS

How did they manage to dent that bit, but not snap the sticky up bits right next to it?

I reckon it’s an insurance job. 😆

ninfan
    Free Member

Is this covered by warranty?

jam-bo

knock for knock?

avdave2

I hope whoever was driving doesn’t put their bikes on a roof rack.

GrahamS

No worries. I’ve got this…

ocrider

jam bo – Member
    whoops. someones just got promoted to a desk job…

That’s Hermes delivery driver material, right there

Northwind

Two other Astute-class submarines – Astute and Artful – are in service and four more vessels – Audacious, Anson, Agamemnon and the yet to be named seventh – are in various stages of construction.

Ran out of names beginning with A. Maybe Accidentprone?

johnners
    Free Member

If only we fitted our £1bn subs with something they could use to detect ships.

gobuchul
    Free Member

WTF would you name one Agamemnon?

Agamemnon’s family history had been tarnished by rape, murder, incest, and treachery, consequences of the heinous crime perpetrated by his ancestor, Tantalus, and then of a curse placed upon Pelops, son of Tantalus, by Myrtilus, whom he had murdered. Thus misfortune hounded successive generations of the House of Atreus, until atoned by Orestes in a court of justice held jointly by humans and gods.

His chief fault was his overwhelming haughtiness; an over-exalted opinion of his position that led him to insult Chryses and Achilles, thereby bringing great disaster upon the Greeks.

JAG

johnners – exactly what I thought! How the f#king hell do you manage to not ‘see’ a bloody great big ship?????

I do hope this Captain and his Senior staff are getting a new job pretty soon 👿

GrahamS

Presumably Armageddon was already taken and this was the alternative suggestion?

Better than RealArmageddon13673 I suppose 🙂

kimbers

His chief fault was his overwhelming haughtiness; an over-exalted opinion of his position that led him to insult Chryses and Achilles, thereby bringing great disaster upon the Greeks.

surely that makes it the perfect name for Trident

PJM1974
    Free Member

Bit of filler, some Halfords matt black and you’d never notice.

It happens more often than you’d think. Apparently a British nuclear boat collided with a French nuclear boat a few years back, neither realised it was anything more serious than dinging a stray container somewhere until they returned to their respective home ports.

I wonder when they’ll start fitting subs with parking radars?

cranberry
    Free Member

Ran out of names beginning with A. Maybe Accidentprone?

The next series will start with HMS BumpsieDaisy

Agamemnon was Nelson’s favourite ship. I think the Nelson connection is a bit more important than all the Greek mythology stuff.

gobuchul
    Free Member

surely that makes it the perfect name for Trident

No Tridents on that boat.

Agamemnon was Nelson’s favourite ship.

Didn’t know that. Every day a school day and all that.

legend
    Free Member

tuskaloosa – Member
    2001 off the coast of Hawaii the USS Greenville ended up sinking a Japanese fishing boat when rising to the surface

Our Navy dragged one down off Arran in 1990

However the US did manage to crash into a mountain at 30 knots: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_San_Francisco_(SSN-711)#

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Is it a sticker?
    Mod ” hello, is that chips away?” 😆

tomhoward

the yet to be named seventh

If that isn’t named Subby McSubface, an opportunity had been missed.

phiiiiil

Maybe submarine sonars are like dogs, they can’t look upwards?

jimdubleyou

I think it’ll need to be at least partially repaired where it is – doesn’t look seaworthy in that photo – and it certainly couldn’t dive.

Depends what’s in there. It’s not part of the pressure hull so it probably could dive if it needed too.

Interestingly, these boats don’t have an optical periscope, it’s all digital – wonder if it had been a while since they took a picture.

Either way, the skipper’s getting court martialed.

avdave2

If only we fitted our £1bn subs with something they could use to detect ships.

It’s all well and good seeing something coming towards you but when you’ve spent millions making yourself invisible you can’t expect the other guy to take the right anti collision avoidance measures 🙂

ChrisL

Apparently the damaged bit is no longer known as a conning tower in the Navy, as it isn’t a pressure vessel. They’re now known as sails (UK terminology) or fins (US terminology). Online cutaways (not the most accurate source of information admittedly) suggest that they are mostly empty except for sensor masts and access to the viewing area on top. Maybe as long as the sensor masts aren’t damaged it is a relatively simple repair (by the standards of the repairs carried out on vessels designed to operate under enormous pressure in seawater and which carry nuclear reactors and precision weapons).

legend
    Free Member

Interestingly, these boats don’t have an optical periscope, it’s all digital – wonder if it had been a while since they took a picture.

Not really needed though, the sonar would’ve picked it up from a long way away

jimdubleyou

Not really needed, the sonar would’ve picked it up from a long way away

I’ve not seen a fancy modern sonar in action – do they plot all the contacts for you?

onehundredthidiot

A “hats on discussion”.

legend
    Free Member

Maybe as long as the sensor masts aren’t damaged it is a relatively simple repair (by the standards of the repairs carried out on vessels designed to operate under enormous pressure in seawater and which carry nuclear reactors and precision weapons).

even then, they’ll just pull them out and put in spares so not a huge problem (at submarine level)

scotroutes

Is standing on the deck the Navys equivalent of the naughty thinking step?

trailofdestruction
    Free Member

I think it’ll need to be at least partially repaired where it is

househusband

What’s interesting is that, so far, the other ‘merchant vessel’ (a tanker) has not been named; I find this strange as does another friend in the maritime world – I’m former Merchant Navy.

Bearing in mind that the sub was on exercise at the time it makes me wonder of the other vessel was an RFA tanker; this wouldn’t be the first time that RN subs have got too close to the underside of an RFA. Might explain why there’s been no mention of the name of the ‘merchant vessel’ (which RFA’s are) as that would be even more embarrassing…

jam-bo

I think they probably knew exactly where the ship they hit was. right above them. Probably practicing sneaking in the med under the cover of a noisy vessel. The area is notorious for large internal waves which would be like a rollercoaster in a sub if you get hit by one.

househusband

Probably practicing sneaking in the med under the cover of a noisy vessel.

Undoubtedly doing just that – no doubt I was above subs numerous times when I was in the RFA many moons ago; I just find it strange that the other vessel is as yet anonymous.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘an astute ambush’ is closed to new replies.