Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • An assault on STW sensibilities
  • SaxonRider

? Or not?

mtbfix

A room for watching sport on to is not a man cave. It’s a pub. For the ultimate man space, pop along to Nuffield Place where the self same Lord had a work bench in his bedroom. Now that’s a proper job!

CountZero

And all that fancy, expensive furniture, books, etc, aren’t an example of self-indulgent materialism?
    The top photo is not my idea of a ‘man-cave’, it’s just a room full of expensive tat, and a study is a completely different use for a room; If I had the space for a ‘man-cave’ it would have a work bench, tools and such for doing things in more comfort than a shed might allow.
    It would still have an audio system in, that’s crucial.
    The ‘study’ would be my comfy music and reading space, no TV.

retro83
    Free Member

bugger awf matriachy, i’ll decorate the testosteroom however I see fit

* if that’s okay my darling wifey sweetykins?

RobHilton
    Free Member

Nuffield Place where the self same Lord had a work bench in his bedroom

“Lord” Rob has a workbench in his bedroom – is he doing it worng??

bensales
    Free Member

Study? STUDY? I want a library dammit.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I have a study.

Surely that’s all you need to know on the matter.

lemonysam
    Free Member

I tend to think anyone who can use the word mancave without thinking of Goatse hasn’t spent enough time on the internet.

edenvalleyboy
    Free Member

Well, they can ditch that mancave. Nowt manly about that room….

RustySpanner

I have a man cave.
    Proper stereo, guitar, LEGO, telescope, video games etc.

The books are now spread around this house, after I managed to cause structural damage to the last one (1850’s, three storey, back to back millworkers hovel)
    by storing them all on the top floor.

I dumped about a thousand novels, mostly on public transport, over an 18 month period.
    🙂

slackalice
    Free Member

I don’t care how heavy your ‘books’ are RS, I’ve come over all swoony for the sophisticated eloquence of that Count Zero up there ^^^^^ 😳

lemonysam
    Free Member

I dumped about a thousand novels, mostly on public transport, over an 18 month period.

That’s a lot of Mills and Boon.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

an 18 month period.

You should see a doctor about that.

edenvalleyboy
    Free Member

Apparently too many copies of 50 shades of grey were published (to sell in motorway services etc). So they ended being used as/turned into part of the tarmac for our motorways… 😀

bartyp
    Free Member

My ‘man cave’ looks nothing like that top room; it has workbenches (notice the plural), a good selection of woodworking and other tools, a stack of various woods, bits of bike and a speaker thing. It’s full of crap and covered in dust. That top room is not a Man Cave, it’s an Entertainments Room. I do not want others in my Man Cave. It is my Cave. A Man Cave is for a Man, not Men. The place for Men is a pub.

Speaking of which…

rogermoore

I’m picturing a Venn diagram of these with a Media Room sat firmly in the centre.
    RM.

squirrelking
    Free Member

I tend to think anyone who can use the word mancave without thinking of Goatse hasn’t spent enough time on the internet.

I thought I was the only one!

colp

If BTP ever catch you they’ll throw the book at you.

tang
    Free Member

I have a study. As well as large desk I have arm chair, wall of books and a bed, which I don’t really like guests sleeping in. It’s quiet and I can see trees and a hill from the windows. None of these things are conducive to work.

RustySpanner

Classics mostly and tatty paperbacks.
    🙂
    Pubs too, left a lot in pubs.
    Makes up for the hundreds I stole when shelves full of charity shop hardbacks became fashionable pub decor.

All replaced with a Kindle and a hundred quid or so.

Kept the good stuff and things with sentimental value, ditched the filler.

Kept all the vinyl though.
    🙂

piemonster

I have a study.

Surely that’s all you need to know on the matter.

As you well know, even classes proles can have a study.

It’s the moat and gatehouse that really matters!

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Mancave is now internet. All is lost. I had a study/studio. All my books, gramps cracked old leather wingback, toolbox hidden behind the easel. Giant desk. Nice hi fi set up. It too had a view, towards oak forest, over the Severn Valley. Utter peace, and a great place to study, work, relax, entertain and contemplate. Around the year 2k a PC w/monitor entered the room. The room went dark. All was forgotten. All was now on the screen. I became a nocturnal hunchback, my face lit by the screen. The study was now just a junk room with a glowing monitor on a desk. The next study/studio followed suit, the PC died, the tablet replaced. A big room for a small screen.

Now we have moved again. We lost a room. No study, no studio, but I do have a brick shed. The shed has no internet. There may be hope…

bartyp
    Free Member

Love the way that lower picture shows an iMac on the writing desk. And I don’t really get the comment about ‘self-indulgent materialism’, for both rooms are perfect examples of this.

This is the closest approximation to my workshop:

Idealy, I’d love something like this, very similar to a friend’s place:

Converted garage, fully-equipped.

If your man-cave doesn’t have any tools in it, it’s not a man-cave; it’s just another room in your house.

ocrider

lemonpartysam – Member

Don’t know what you’re talking about

fasthaggis

If your man-cave doesn’t have any tools in it, it’s not a man-cave; it’s just another room in your house.

Correct ,also see ‘Media room’ 🙄 🙂

RustySpanner

Caveist.

40mpg

I have a study. However its only that by name. Its more study/gym/ironing room/library/bolt hole. And its full.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/zYUbSG]2015-11-10_07-47-32[/url] by Allan, on Flickr

I also have a garage, which is similarly stuffed with workbench/bikes/kayaks/body boards/wetsuits/BBQ/lawnmower/camping stuff. However it does have a ipod dock and a beer fridge 🙂

bartyp
    Free Member

Don’t know what you’re talking about

You don’t need to. Trust me.

squirrelking
    Free Member

If your man-cave doesn’t have any tools in it, it’s not a man-cave

Isn’t “man-cave” just a phrase used by lumber-sexuals and bearded hipsters to describe the one room where their significant others force them to do all the stuff they suppose real men have to do?

Real gentlemen don’t have “man-caves”. They will have a proper workshop (or preferably 2), a study, a music room etc. and, in the case of Flasheart, probably a billiards room and smoking room to.

Having a man-cave is a bit like having a cyclocross bike.

bartyp
    Free Member

Real gentlemen don’t have “man-caves”. They will have a proper workshop (or preferably 2), a study, a music room etc. and, in the case of Flasheart, probably a billiards room and smoking room to.

Ah, but such ‘gentle’ men would have real men to do the proper manly jobs they themselves are incapable of. 😉

Isn’t “man-cave” just a phrase used by lumber-sexuals and bearded hipsters to describe the one room where their significant others force them to do all the stuff they suppose real men have to do?

It’s all a load of bollocks really. Mine is just a basement workshop full of tools and bits of wood etc. Stuff gets made there, stuff gets fixed there, and sometimes stuff gets thrown across the room in frustration and anger. My significant other seldom ventures down there, as she says it’s ‘like a cave’. And I’m a Man, so it must be a Man-Cave. 😀

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘An assault on STW sensibilities’ is closed to new replies.