Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • An actual pain in the neck.
  • toys19
    Free Member

I woke up a few days ago with a stiff neck and down my back, this has subsided but I have a pain in the vertebrae in the back of my neck just level/above the shoulders, if you press it , it hurts, its very local, on the bone or maybe between two bones. What is going on, is my head about to fall off?

crikey
    Free Member

yes, but if you get arrested, your head will be in the ideal position to eat things that get pushed through the window bars.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Simple – dont press it and it wont hurt.

nedrapier

I’ve had this, on and off for a few years. Never had a pain which I could find with my fnigers by pressing it, but it was a very localised, very sharp pain between vertabrae, feels as though it’s in the muscle off to one side of the spine?

It was episodic; it would get to a stage where I’d think “I can’t live with this any longer, I must see someone.” but I’d wake up the next morning and the pain would have subsided a bit.

The pains/spasms became more frequent, more painful and longer lasting: once a month for a week or more. I went to A&E (Bad, I know, but it was out of hours and it felt like my neck was going to fall off), GP, sports massage therapist. Only got drugs and a “come back if it’s not better in a week” from the NHS, which is really all I expect from them for this sort of thing. The sports massage therapist told me to go and see an osteopath or a chiropractor.

A friend recommended an osteopath in London. I saw him, he said I had a hyper-mobile neck and a very immobile upper spine, so all of the movement my head and shoulders needed was put through the same few vertebrae and the muscles around them.

I think cycling has something to do with this, your shoulders stay where they are in relation to the bars, an your neck does all the looking around.

I was blown away by the knowledge, skill and sensitivity of the osteopath, and the fact that I haven’t had a singel relapse in 4 years since my single vist to him.

Hope some of that helps!

crikey
    Free Member

I was blown away by the osteopath

How much for a session?

psychle
    Free Member

A friend recommended an osteopath in London

I was blown away by the knowledge, skill and sensitivity of the osteopath, and the fact that I haven’t had a singel relapse in 4 years since my single vist to him

Can you let me know his contact details? I need to get my aches and pains sorted…

crikey
    Free Member

I need to get my aches and pains sorted…

Oh….I’m sure you do…. 🙂

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

I have this.

Always the same place, base of neck on the left.

I’ve done it doing press ups, stretching in bed, skipping a step on the stairs, . . all sorts.

First time I had it, I couldn’t move my neck at all, i was like Robocop all day at a wedding!!

Half the time I ride, I end up aching a bit in that area.

I’ve been to a Accupuncturist, not been as bad since!!

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

What you lot need to do is deep neck flexor exercises. They’ll sort your neck out in no time. Google them. 10 held for 10 secs, 3 times daily will do it.

nedrapier

YGM, Si.

psychle
    Free Member

cheers Ned 😀

toys19
    Free Member

Boys all good advice cheers. Off to see a physio on monday.

TiRed

I won’t worry you, but my friend who is an ER Nurse Practitioner once saw a guy on a Friday evening (I know…), came in after a fall complaining and holding his head with both hands and said “my head feels loose”. Of course this being a Friday evening, triage said wait in the corner, not taking him too seriously…

Until the X-ray – he’d broken two neck vertebrae and his head really was “loose”. Any sharp movements and it could have been fatal 😯 .

Digger90
    Free Member

Any numbness in your arms, wrists or hands?

Get an MRI done.

I did and it showed that I had 2 ruptured discs (ouch!).

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘An actual pain in the neck.’ is closed to new replies.