Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Army/General threatens Coup
  • Tom_W1987
    Free Member

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/british-army-could-stage-mutiny-under-corbyn-says-senior-serving-general-10509742.html

This is the second time they’ve/individuals within the forces have threatened this isn’t it, the last time was with Harold Wilson?

Time to disband the regular Army and spend the left over on the Navy?

woodster

Sounds like most of the Amys I’ve known.

EdwardH

Is she cross?

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Heh. Cheers 😀

project
    Free Member

and with that your name goes to the top of the list for disciplinary action,redundancy, fraud investigation, and possible sexual abuse,etc etc, all used previously to get staff out of organisations by the dirt tricks dept.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

and with that your name goes to the top of the list for disciplinary action,redundancy, fraud investigation, and possible sexual abuse,etc etc, all used previously to get staff out of organisations by the dirt tricks dept.

Lol, what?

footflaps

Hardly going to make Labour pro-Army is it… Seems a bit of an own goal.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

It seems half of the influential labour politicians are Oxbridge PPE types, so I wouldn’t be so sure Footflaps. I’m now starting to smell corruption that whiffs of the South American type, it’s just far more insidious in it’s subtlety.

And Harriet Harman seems to be a good General Pinochet knock off.

jamj1974

The unnamed general thinks that martial law is more important than the elected government. Dickhead. Put my name down to be first against the wall, General.

footflaps

It’s probably just a member of the Tory press team making it up…..

jamj1974

I hope so.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Meh, there were serious grumblings about it back in the 70’s. Claims like this should be the focus of a criminal investigation to ascertain whether it’s true or not.

Marin
    Free Member

Non story. When was the last time a general led from the front.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Don’t need many squaddies to do it, for example IF the comment was made by the Director of Special Forces then he’d pretty much be able to do as he wished, I reckon.

ninfan
    Free Member

The army don’t swear allegiance to the Prime Minister.

Thats why the General stated it “would effectively be a mutiny.”

it wouldn’t actually be a mutiny, because the armed forces don’t follow orders from the PM

especially one who is committed to breaching his own oath of allegiance in order to depose the Monarch.

moose
    Free Member

I imagine that JC would very quickly learn the way to save a few quid; make the ridiculously high number of senior officers filling random staff jobs redundant. He’d soon realise there is little left of the actual soldiers to clip.

I imagine this ‘General’s’ response is based in the fear that he may have to take his snout out of the trough. Ah well, the less brass the better.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

it wouldn’t actually be a mutiny, because the armed forces don’t follow orders from the PM

especially one who is committed to breaching his own oath of allegiance in order to depose the Monarch.

How about the creation of a 4th service, eg a National Gendarmerie as a buffer to the Army?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

should be the focus of a criminal investigation

What crime?

BigEaredBiker
    Free Member

Sounds like a total non-story to me. We have no name and ‘mutiny’could mean many things not just a coup – soldiers are not allowed to strike or simply hand in their notice and quit. An effective mutiny would simply be to walk and face arrest or likewise go on strike.

If it soldiers knew they had the support of senior NCO’s and officers simply working to H&S rules would screw things up just by following the rules – especially if soldiers are called to help civil authorities to cover other public servants on strike.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Because striking has saved sooooooooo many other professions BigEar.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

What crime?

Pretty sure he could be banged up on terrorism grounds.

Wiki

“(b) the use or threat is designed to influence the government [or an international governmental organisation][3] or to intimidate the public or a section of the public, (c) the use or threat is made for the purpose of advancing a political, religious[, racial][4] or ideological

MI5’s website specifies that they get involved if people threaten to undermine democratic process.

scotroutes

Wis it a Fresian?

downshep

with eppaulettes…. a military coo!

MSP

Well that’s a vote winner right there, getting the armed forces to actually be under direct democratic command.

wrecker
    Free Member

I very much doubt that the people within the military would do anything of the sort without the queen/kings say so, regardless of what some general said.

getting the armed forces to actually be under direct democratic command.

If you wanted a coup, that might well do it.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Well that’s a vote winner right there, getting the armed forces to actually be under direct democratic command.

Are you sure?

It might be a good idea but are you really convinced that voters have more faith in politicians than they have in their beloved monarch ?

MSP

Depends, how many armies does the queen have?

willard

Two, connected to her shoulderies

CountZero

MSP – Member
    Depends, how many armies does the queen have?

For the love of Christ, don’t encourage him!

willard – Member
    Two, connected to her shoulderies

Nice, see what you did there! 😆

mikewsmith
    Free Member

or to quote more accuratley and not make it sound like a coup

The unnamed general said members of the armed forces would begin directly and publicly challenging the labour leader if he tried to scrap Trident, pull out of Nato or announce “any plans to emasculate and shrink the size of the armed forces.”

He told the Sunday Times: “The Army just wouldn’t stand for it. The general staff would not allow a prime minister to jeopardise the security of this country and I think people would use whatever means possible, fair or foul to prevent that. You can’t put a maverick in charge of a country’s security.

“There would be mass resignations at all levels and you would face the very real prospect of an event which would effectively be a mutiny.”

Time to disband the regular Army and spend the left over on the Navy?

Because they don’t talk to each other…

The job of any chief of the armed forces is to put their point across, I wonder if there is a constitutional point where they are obliged to defend the nation above and beyond the PM, bigger problem Corbyn has is getting enough support to do any of this, most of his part disagree with him, thankfully the UK doesn’t have a president.

timba
    Free Member

What has the Co-op ever done to the army?

onehundredthidiot

Would he do the same if the house of commons threatened to scrap trident in the upcoming vote. Where was this bag of wind been? Has he not seen what’s happened to the armed forces over the past few years? Of course not sat in an office planning the next step up.

gordimhor

Going by the pig thread there’s quite a few in his own party you could say that about.

Gunz
    Free Member

If it soldiers knew they had the support of senior NCO’s and officers simply working to H&S rules would screw things up just by following the rules – especially if soldiers are called to help civil authorities to cover other public servants on strike.

The Armed Forces follow H&S anyway, we’re not immune to the dictates of the law. Also, the assistance to civil authorities during the floods was something I believe we all felt entirely behind and honoured to be involved in.

I do like the General’s comment about ‘not following a maverick’, he seems to have got a little confused between maverick and elected representative.

The British used to have a healthy fear of a standing army, for obvious reasons.

“The Army just wouldn’t stand for it. The general staff would not allow a prime minister to jeopardise the security of this country and I think people would use whatever means possible, fair or foul to prevent that.

If this is really what senior army officers think, the quicker they are got rid of the better. How dare they think they are above the law of the land. What next? Being employed to shoot striking doctors?

There would be mass resignations at all levels

Resignations are cheaper than redundancy so I can’t see any politician of any flavour loosing sleep over that one.

scandal42
    Free Member

Has this bloke been asleep for the last 5 years?

Or is it just the thought of someone called Jeremy stepping in and continuing the job?

footflaps

There would be mass resignations at all levels

Which would only be a good thing 🙂

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

Hmm…

😉

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Army/General threatens Coup’ is closed to new replies.