Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • Amy Macdonald – The Proclaimers in tight pants or good in her own right?
  • derek_starship
    Free Member

I really quite like Ms. Macdonald. Have done for several years and at the moment, I keep going back to her new album (Under Stars) on Spotify.

I can see some people might consider her generic Caledonian folk but it has to be said, she’s a good songwriter, singer and musician.

And she’s fit. And she drives a Ferrari488 GTB.

SaxonRider

I agree with you in all respects, and I love listening to her. The one criticism I would make is that almost all of her songs have a similar pattern to them in terms of relation of chorus to verse and the actual sound of her choruses. They’re all very ‘big’.

It will be a pleasure to listen to her as she matures musically, though, because I think she has immense talent. Kind of a solo, female, contemporary version of Big Country. 🙂

BoardinBob

garbage

she’s massive in Switzerland. Speaks volumes.

Not that she cares. Eye wateringly rich.

SaxonRider

On what basis, exactly, do you say she’s ‘garbage’, BB? I mean, I can understand liking, or not liking, her music, but is there something about her work that you would really cast it aside as ‘garbage’?

BoardinBob

Just bland. See also: KT Tunstall, Katie Melua etc

molgrips
    Free Member

Indigo Girls but not as good. But still ok.

Northwind

Not my thing but she’s great at what she does- I saw her a long time ago, half the set was filler tbh but every so often something’d just shine through, some wee turn of phrase or clever progression that showed the potential, it got my attention and most bands don’t.

(and not just because she’s fit, because she was a wee awkward spotty puppy-fat lassie back then)

And very clever about how she’s gone about it- british acts usually ignore europe, get big here and obsess with “making it in america” and ignore the audience next door… look at Biffy Clyro- biggest scottish act of the generation at home but she could buy them with her pocket change. And at the same time, have a normal life back home. Weird that people look down on that.

NZCol

I have to turn her off as she sings like she has a mouthful of marbles in a weird sort of pseudo american accent it’s bizarre.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

I’m waiting for BoardingBob’s next album so i can compare.

ourmaninthenorth

Had never heard of her until I read this thread. So I went and listened to some songs on YouTube.

Probably OK if that’s your thing*. Fair play to her for doing what she loves and becoming successful at it. Lots of us would like to find that.

But I shall forget who she is after I’ve clicked post….

*That offensively empty and soulless corporate pop.

NZCol

does nobody else think she sings funny ? She’s from Bishopbriggs so you can give her some latitude for a weird accent but FFS it’s not a suburb of LA. The only other singer that irritated me this way was that lady from M People. She had the same marble-mouth affliction.

6079smithw
    Free Member

Amy Macdonald – The Proclaimers in tight pants or good in her own right?

Don’t have nightmares

BobaFatt
    Free Member

I always thought she sounded Irish

Never liked her, nothing against her though, seems to appeal to the same audience as Adele and Ed Sheeran

badnewz
    Free Member

I had no idea she was that rich! Must be down to Ken Bruce playing one of her two good songs every five minutes.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

FWIW, I saw the Proclaimers at the Academy in Glasgow and it was bouncing, crackin gig.

So how rich is Amy McDonald?

Wookster

Circa 6 million. Good on her, all earned through her music income, and investments.

milky1980
    Free Member

I like her music, easy to listen to and doesn’t upset anyone so great for long car journeys etc. Didn’t realise she had a new album out, will check it out over the weekend.

Not a fan of her though, doesn’t seem to have any real personality whenever I’ve seen her do an interview. Remember the SIARPC she did on Top Gear? So wooden it was unreal!! Got to give her credit though, she’s made her money wisely, doesn’t get mobbed on the street so can live a normal life and she still lives in the UK.

mrmoofo

Bloody huge is Switzerland , played all the time everywhere …
    So kind of developed a taste for her.
    Then I moved …
    Haven’t played any Amy Mc since then … 😀

mattsccm
    Free Member

Is she the piece off the cruise ship?
    Easier to ask than google.

seosamh77
    Free Member

No for me, but crack on, just my opinion like, you should hear the pish i listen to! 😆

my general opinion is can’t help but thinking she’s doing a poor paolo nutini impression in any songs i’ve heard recently. so i don’t really get the proclaimers reference.

AlasdairMc

garbage

Different Scottish female artist there.

tinybits
    Free Member

Didn’t know that a new album was out, but tried to listen thanks to this thread. Didn’t seem as good as the last couple but in fairness, the kids had the living room Sonos cranked up with trolls soundtrack on so I may have not been in the best listening environment…. I like her but then I also like Mumford and sons…

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

She’s done the Radio Scotland Off the Ball programme a few times and came across well enough, sounded like she’d be good enough company on a night out. Certainly better than most on here. It’s not my kind of music but fair play to her.

astormatt
    Free Member

I think she is great, listen to her quite a lot. Nearly bought tickets to her show in London the end of last year but the wife hates her (only because i think she is fit) so i missed out.

mefty
    Free Member

The only other singer that irritated me this way was that lady from M People.

Wash your mouth out with soap, Heather Small is fantastic.

stevemuzzy
    Free Member

I think she is pretty good. However she has a thing for footballers so we are probobly not her target audience…

zippykona

When the cranberries were around I’m sure their record company told them to be more oirish than any band had ever been.
    I get the feeling this ladie’s record label has done a similar thing but with extra scots.

Bunnyhop

Along with Lady gaga, R.E.M., BoneyM and several other over rated performers, I have to switch Amy off.
    My nephew did direct one of her videos (the one with the bmx rider), but that still didn’t make me like her.

Merak

She is blander than a beige Montego.

tjagain

I have been aware of her but never really listened to her stuff so after this thread I thought I’d have a listen.
    Nicely crafted pop of the ” woman with guitar” type -see Joan Baez, Joan Armatrading etc. Far better than most of this type of thing but not my sort of music

her accent seems totally unremarkable to my tin ear

Nice voice. Well worth her success

uponthedowns
    Free Member

. The only other singer that irritated me this way was that lady from M People. She had the same marble-mouth affliction

At last someone agrees with me. They both have the same weird, affected voices which I’m sure aren’t their natural singing voices. Like they are trying to sound lower than they naturally are

jamj1974

Thought she was shocking. Saw her on TV – must be at least 20 years ago. Belting songs out like a bad pub singer on that docusoap ‘The Cruise’… Terrible.

scotroutes

jamj1974 – Member
    Thought she was shocking. Saw her on TV – must be at least 20 years ago. Belting songs out like a bad pub singer on that docusoap ‘The Cruise’… Terrible.

When she was 9?

On the accent/intonation; she doesn’t sound at all American/Mid-Atlantic to me. I still hear Glasgow. However, she does have a particular way of making certain vowel sounds, especially when in her lower register.

onlysteel
    Free Member

Up until reading this thread I was a huge Proclaimers fan. Now have this image of Craig and Charlie which I can’t get out of my head……..

cheekyboy
    Free Member

😆

jamj1974

Thanks Cheeky!

seosamh77
    Free Member

scotroutes – Member
    On the accent/intonation; she doesn’t sound at all American/Mid-Atlantic to me. I still hear Glasgow. However, she does have a particular way of making certain vowel sounds, especially when in her lower register.

She’s on the tele the now, on saturday kitchen. She’s got a proper weegie accent, but trying to speak posh when she’s clearly not that comfortable with it. I suspect she sounds like a proper scrote in private! 😆

scotroutes

A bit like masel’

seosamh77
    Free Member

bit posh fur me aw considurt. 😆

CountZero

Just bland. See also: KT Tunstall, Katie Melua etc

Not to my taste, and certainly not Garbage, they’re a whole other musical style!
    KT’s ok, doesn’t have an accentuated accent, or odd singing style, unlike Delores Cranberry; that sort of yodelling yelp she affected used to drive me nuts, like the vocal noises Michael Jackson used to put in, a sort of vocal ‘tick’ which I found almost unbearably distracting.
    Beige I can cope with as background music, though.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Amy Macdonald – The Proclaimers in tight pants or good in her own right?’ is closed to new replies.