Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • Amusing litttle diversion this morning…
  • Stoner
    Free Member

Local roadie club hosting their 3rd annual “Sir Edward Elgar Time Trial Challenge”.

A 151m hill climb sprint up the main street in Malvern. From kids on BSOs to old boys on clapped out Dawes tourers, all heaving up the hill and begging for salvation from a chain break!

Had a crack at it on the pompino and managed a respectable 21seconds.
    Apparently the record is 17s – the guy must be built like Hoy!

Great fun in the sun on a sunday morning. Spoilt only briefly by a very-unchristian local godsquadder who rudely and agressivley ranted at the organisers saying that the road closure was preventing people going to the church – when in fact anyone who asked the marshalled barrier for access to the church was being ushered through without delay.

Since organised religion has such a notorious and long-standing tradtion of interferring far more substantially than a minor traffic delay in the lives of the non-pious, you would have though he would have more consideration for the aphorism about glasshouses and stone throwing. Twit.

Clink

I think you miss-spelt your last word….

Stoner
    Free Member

I think you may be right.

[hijack own thread]just back from a month on the continent in the van. Still going well. over 70k now 🙂 [/hijack]

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    RudeBoy
    Free Member

I blame Thatcher…

Stoner
    Free Member

Well since she appears to have recently found some faith, you may well be right for a change….

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Stoner ……… an anti-religion rant from you on a Sunday morning !

How good it is to know that everything’s normal, and all’s well with the world !

8)

Stoner
    Free Member

Having read your unfathomable support for the pay of MPs I thought it neccessary to bring this ship to course again.

My only lament is that I was away during the humiliating, and long overdue, public evisceration of the Speaker.

As you were.
    8)

Clink

Glad the vans going well! We still miss her but I know she’s being loved 😀

Bunnyhop

Wecome back Stoner 🙂

Stoner
    Free Member

thank y’all.

I shall go and dig out pics of the trails ridden this month and get posting…

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

your unfathomable support for the pay of MPs

Stoner – are you the same guy who when asked on here what they did for a living, responded with, quote :
    “I earn oodles of money for doing very little work” ? ……….. I think you might be 🙄

Presumably you believe MPs earn a very reasonable wage, so tell me, how much of a pay cut are you willing to accept to give up your time gallivanting the countryside slaughtering British wildlife so that you can enter public service ?

BTW, do you ever cringe when you read back stuff a while after you’ve posted it, and think “did I really say that bollox ?” ? It happens to me all the time 😀

And it happened when you reminded me of this !

“I don’t know how you’re in a position to know which way Stoner votes – I certainly find him a bit of a political enigma. He appears to combine a strong belief in crude capitalism with a surprising open mindedness and sophisticated attitude which accepts that it doesn’t necessarily provide all the answers

LOL ! “sophisticated attitude” ! What was I thinking ? ! 😀

Although in my defence, I was trying to be polite and considered that it wouldn’t be fair to say what I really thought as you weren’t there to defend yourself which was :

“I don’t know how you’re in a position to know which way Stoner votes – I certainly find him a bit of a political enigma. He appears to be all over the place and I can’t quite fathom out if he’s a disciple of Milton Friedman or John Maynard Keynes. And to be honest, I don’t think he knows himself.

Although the bit about you being ‘open-minded’ is true imo, and something which I don’t think RudeBoy has quite picked up.

Oh this excellent ……. Stoner’s back, and the bolshie degenerate taunts the English upper-classes … what could be finer !

I don’t expect any answers btw 😉

Stoner
    Free Member

I don’t expect any answers btw

thank fu** for that. Ive been drinking wine and watching Family Guy online…

8)

PS – you’re just pissy coz I bust your Che pseudonym 🙂

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Not at all Stoner …….. why else would I have chosen a username which could be so easily identified with me – that was the whole point 😕

Stoner
    Free Member

Presumably you believe MPs earn a very reasonable wage, so tell me, how much of a pay cut are you willing to accept to give up your time gallivanting the countryside slaughtering British wildlife so that you can enter public service ?

Rather than a pay cut, I would need a substantial increase in my personal fortune, so that I could forego the vulgarities of political pay and concentrate on cultivating power, honors, little african wooden carvings from Foreign Office junkets and cushy English land access reforms for my mates in the MTBing fraternity…
    🙂

Stoner
    Free Member

Anyway, if you want a proper petty handbag fight this evening, Ill go get another bottle of wine, and in the meantime shall just say: “Michael Martin: Couldn’t have happened to a more odious, chippy, tubby bastard.”

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I would need a substantial increase in my personal fortune

Ah yes, those halcyon days when England was at peace with herself, the Empire took care of itself, and parliamentary representation was the prerogative of ‘gentlemen of some means’

Where did it all go wrong Stoner ?

And yes, ‘Gorbals Mick’ …… a Papist member of the toiling classes as Speaker of the House ? 😯

Was there ever any doubt that it would end in tears ?

Stoner
    Free Member

Papist member of the toiling classes as Speaker of the House

in itself, not a threat to democracy.

It was his personal failings that brought both him and hi soffice to the point of ridicule and the contempt of so many people.

What has been most paining has been the fact that it was so obvious from the begining and that despite criticism of his partisan performance, contempt for the protocols of office and bloody minded failing to inform himself properly of parliamentary process that he kept on being a belicose thug for his whole tenure.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/profiles/michael-martin-out-of-order-mr-speaker-616447.html is probably the best written report of his failings…and it is from 2001!

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

probably the best written report of his failings…and it is from 2001!

Forgive me Stoner, but I couldn’t read all that ……. lots of big words and not a single picture.

However, this what I had to say on the subject (a lot less words and a lot less syllables)

ernie_lynch – Member

I think the issue is that the MPs do actually recognise that there is a problem. On the other hand, the Speaker has clearly failed to accept the gravity of the problem and appears to be determined to maintain the status quo.

He has to go.

Posted 1 week ago #

And :

ernie_lynch – Member

“If the left wingers bandying this twaddle by playing the class card are taken seriously”

Only a fool or a denialist would say that that the Speaker hasn’t been the victim of class prejudices. Even on this thread the contemptuous term ‘Gorbals Mick’ has been used to describe him.

But yes you’re right Spongie, his working-class origins is no excuse. In fact, as far as I’m concerned, they make it worst. It appears that power, wealth, and privilege, has caused the speaker to forget where he came from – not something which I’m quick to forgive. I’m much more relaxed about Tories with privilege upbringings carrying on to exploit the privileges which come with high office.

Posted 1 week ago #

Stoner
    Free Member

Forgive Stoner, but I couldn’t read all that

quite alright GG, it’s late.

as for your last paragraph, I think we might have some common ground.

Which is preferable, to have a house of independently wealthy tory robber barons in it for power and honors, but not the money, OR avaricious union blue collars who’ve smelt the honey and forget their roots and the hopes of their former peers?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Oou…….thank you Stoner, I do like a choice – it’s a bit like choosing a chocolate from the box.

I’ll go for the second one thank you.

With the unions breathing down their necks so that they don’t forget where they **** came from.

radoggair
    Free Member

What the f*ck has this to do with biking??, post on chat forum, and for god sake if you do carry on: write in context that we can understand. Big words – unclever

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Big words – unclever

Well maybe you think that – but I struggle with big words.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

…….although I’m a bit handy with googling and quickly look up words like ‘avaricious’ to find out what Stoner means.

radoggair
    Free Member

So your not the only one when first reading it hasn;t got a scooby doo what he’s on about 🙂

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

That’s what makes it so much fun radoggair ………. Stoner uses lots of words which I don’t understand,
    but I’m always right.

It kinda even things out, you could say. And makes toff-taunting so much more enjoyable and rewarding 8)

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Youse lot don’t half talk some bollocks…

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Youse lot don’t half talk some bollocks…

Coming as it does from THE expert on such matters, I have say that I am deeply touched by that comment RudeBoy.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Why’s he call himself ‘Stoner’? Did he inhale?

I don’t talk bollocks. My word is gospel. It is ye minions, what spout shite.

Travis

I remember a many a night, rolling down that hill after coming out of the Red Lion (before it got tarted up) and isn’t there an entrance opposite the Winter Gardens for them to access the Priory?

Stoner
    Free Member

Big words – unclever

scared of learning something? Even that book-burning Trot GG can be bothered to get a definition for something he might not be 100% on! 🙄

There’s over 500,000 “English” words recorded in the OED. Seems a shame to waste them.

funny quote about the English language:
    “The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don’t just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and riffle their pockets for new vocabulary.”

post on chat forum, and for god sake

My thread, my rules 😛

….and suntingwang, it was specifically car access wanted which is at the bottom of the graveyard.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Hey, don’t have a go at me Stoner – I said that I thought using big words was fun. Plus that it gives you half a chance to get one over me.

Where would the fun be for me if I was always right and also more eloquent than you ……boredom would soon set in I fear. Makes me do a bit of work it does ….. you’ve probably noticed the long intervals between my posts as I look up words you’ve used and I try to find my own big ones which I can throw back at you – Thesaurus is my friend 8) Occasionally neither spellcheck nor google can help me because I haven’t a clue how to begin to spell a word, so I end up phoning my mum (she good with spelling) those posts take a little longer.

Even that ………. Trot GG

Whoa…..I know that we all like a bit of banter Stoner, but to accuse a true ‘I-never-went-to-university’ working-class warrior of being “a Trot” really is a bit below the belt.

Stoner
    Free Member

you’re too sensitive GG. 🙂

I end up phoning my mum

Me too: for pastry recipes and tax advice 🙂

jimster
    Free Member

Goddamn, missed the Elgar Challenge again!!! 🙁

Bunnyhop

OOOh so glad you’ve confirmed that ernie is GG, I’ve had my suspicions.

Bunnyhop

Suppose I should try looking in peoples profiles more often.

Stoner
    Free Member

good turn out over the day too by the look of it.
    http://www.malverngazette.co.uk/news/4410358.Elgar_Bicycle_Challenge_Comes_To_Town/

I could only manage 2 runs before I had to get Jr home.
    18 seconds is bloody quick though.

Saw the 8 year old kid do it and he was really fast too! 🙂

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I’ve had my suspicions.

There was never any devious intent Bunnyhop. It goes back to when the new forum was first set up and everyone was trying to register. Despite my best efforts and numerous passwords, all attempts to login on IE failed. So I ended up starting from scratch again on FireFox using a completely new username. I deliberately chose a username which anyone who could be bothered enough to be interested, could work out. That registration worked. I then discovered the IE registration was also working. FF remembers ernie_lynch’s password, and IE GG’s. I haven’t a clue what ernie_lynch’s password is – could ask for a new one I suppose. Personally I prefer the visual presentation of IE on my PC, FF isn’t as sharp (I’m rubbish at IT and can’t seem to alter it) but FF is easier to use. I’ve kinda given up on IE these days – GG is still languishing somewhere in IE.

That’s my story, sad but true. Was there ever any doubt that ernie_lynch & GG were the same ? After all, same persona, and can there really be two tory/toff baiting, common-spoken, bolshie lefties, on just one cycling forum ? 😯
    BTW, despite some people’s endless suspicions, I have bugger-all to do with that pseudo-working-class clown RudeBoy. If you don’t mind.

radoggair
    Free Member

Stoner – Member

Big words – unclever

scared of learning something? Even that book-burning Trot GG can be bothered to get a definition for something he might not be 100% on!

There’s over 500,000 “English” words recorded in the OED. Seems a shame to waste them.

funny quote about the English language:
    “The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don’t just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and riffle their pockets for new vocabulary.”

Problem solved……..i’m Scottish, so f8ck yer English language

Stoner – Member
    good turn out over the day too by the look of it.
    http://www.malverngazette.co.uk/news/4410358.Elgar_Bicycle_Challenge_Comes_To_Town/

I could only manage 2 runs before I had to get Jr home.
    18 seconds is bloody quick though.

Saw the 8 year old kid do it and he was really fast too!

More like it, understood every word of it

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Problem solved……..i’m Scottish, so f8ck yer English language

Ah, I take it you’re fluent in Scottish, and will be buggering off to a Scottish-language only mtb forum, then? And never using English again?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

And never using English again?

You don’t get round to using it yourself on here very much.

😕

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Amusing litttle diversion this morning…’ is closed to new replies.