Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Amsterdam advice…..
  • soma_rich
    Free Member

Where to go, what to do…

Is it expensive considering the Euro at the moment?

Whats your best story from the city?

uplink
    Free Member

On motorbikes in the city lost, looking for our campsite at the old Olympic stadium – we asked a taxi driver for directions
    He beckoned us to follow him, we did & he took us to the red light district 🙂
    We tried again & the same thing happened again

I learned 2 things
    Most British men head for the red light district
    Amsterdam taxi drivers aren't usually Dutch & they don't understand much English

mr-potatohead
    Free Member

depends what you want , there are the well known sleazy bits in the middle [ but no more than most european cities ]. cannabis cafes or the sex museum of rumpty pumpty .otherwise there is the van gogh museum or some really nice parks with jazz playing and tip-top tram system.

alpin
    Free Member

my mate went there and burnt 700€ in three days. i dare say he got his fill. well he tried but he'd been in the coffee shops previously and got turned out by a few of the girls after they took his money.

oh, and he almost got the shit kicked out of him after trying to put his willy in the wrong hole….

glad i'm not him but it made for some jokes down the pub the following week.

soma_rich
    Free Member

I dont really want too much sleaze going with the my better half so culture rather than copulation.

enfht
    Free Member

Get stoned and enjoy the nightlife 😀

Leidseplein will be worth visiting if you're taking the Mrs.

soma_rich
    Free Member

enfht sounds like a plan but with a museum thrown in as well.

uplink
    Free Member

Another story of Amsterdam [back in the 80s] that will forever live with me

One of our gang in the red light district took a shine to one of the window girls & promptly went in [telling us to wait outside for him]

In he goes, the curtains get closed
    5 minutes later, the curtains suddenly get ripped open & she's there on all four & he's …. well, you know
    Anyway what pursued was a wrestling match between him & her as he tried to keep the curtains open & she was trying to close them – it was hilarious

coffeeking
    Free Member

BBB_ Rich – Member

I dont really want too much sleaze going with the my better half so culture rather than copulation.

Another relationship lost it's fizz eh…. 😆

mr-potatohead
    Free Member

or the other thing is indonesian food due to holland's colonian past , which is really nice.

LordSummerisle
    Free Member

BBB_ Rich.

Visit the Van Gogh, Anne Frank and Rijksmuseum museums.
    theres also a couple of Diamond cutting houses that do tours – the Gassan tour was the best one of the ones we visited.

theres a great market (Albert Cuyp Market) on 4 or 5 days a week that is about 1km long

Here is a walking tour round Amsterdam from the Hostel we stayed at last year.

grynch
    Free Member

this museum is fantastic.. more dutch masters than you can sneeze at…
    http://www.rijksmuseum.nl/

and take a tour of the red light district just for fun also..it is part of the Am'dam experience

food.. check out the "five flies" …
    http://www.toptable.com/en-gb/venue/?id=3668

soma_rich
    Free Member

Lord Summerisle Thanks some excellent ideas there.

coffeeking you have absolutely NO idea how funny that is 😀

yoshimi

Mega-expensive, expect to pay £5 per pint

As already mentioned the Leidseplein is a good area to chill at night after you've seen all the other stuff. Plenty of people, bars and restaurants etc.

Hire out some pedal-back bikes for a few days, the best way to get around and great fun when youre stoned:)

soma_rich
    Free Member

Mega-expensive, expect to pay £5 per pint
    What I was expecting but not what I wanted to hear 🙁

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Was gonna suggest he Ann Frank Museum too. Well worth a visit.

And you just have to do a boat ride.

hora
    Free Member

We stayed in Amsterdam first couple days of Jan a couple of years back (driving back from Germany to the ferry).

Its not all seedy, infact – thats only a small part. A very small area of Amsterdam. I didnt find beer expensive. Just dont go into the main drags/tourist bars. Its London-comparable otherwise.

The Anne Franks museum had a queue around the block though. Huge queue and it was waaay too cold to queue up!

Otherwise, a great city. Liked it. Going back to the pron/smoking -bits. Its the one thing I feared. I imagined Amsterdam was rampant with these places. Its not at all.

AndyP
    Free Member

ooOOoo
    Free Member

Don't put baccy in your joints – you have to smoke pure now because of the smoking ban. They are concerned about your health.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

I lived there for 2 years, and really enjoyed it.. 8) To be honest, like everyone said, when it when from Gilders to the Euro, it became very, very expensive..

dyna-ti

Word of advice 😉
    Dont buy class A on the street and dont hang about the red light area after 1am.
    To be honest ,i love the dam,ive been dozens of times.
    Coffee shops of note-the greenhouse,very conservative
    On the coffee shop note-if youre not use to it dont eat space cake or buy pre-rolled joints,they are very strong and it could ruin your holiday .

DickBarton

Find the Leitzplien (I think it is pronounced Liza-pline) – I recalled it as Led Zepplin Square.

It's about a 20 minute walk from the Red Light district so isn't bothered by roaming weirdos!

In the corner that leadds back towards the Railway Station, there is a bar on the corner (will be to your left – they do amazing steaks and French Onion Soup – also the evening life round that area is also very good – no one seems to be there to get wasted on drink…they chat, music, have a few drinks…some places even have funny smokes!

Great place to visit…but I don't think I'd like to stay there…just not enough hills!

grazzer1
    Free Member

Hi Richard,
    'The Doors' bar is worth a laugh. Most of the bar staff are bike couriers in their spare time (fixed wheel super niche roadies). They always had courier vids playing on the big screen when I went in there.
    It was a shame that they were up their own @rses. Perhaps I caught them on a bad day…maybe they had cut their carbon handlebars down too much (if that's possible!).

Hire a pedello! It's hilarious trying to navigate around the one way canal system!
    G

soma_rich
    Free Member

G pedello recomendation is now on the list!

Will have to go for a ride when i get back dude!

LordSummerisle
    Free Member

Bojo's (Lange Leidsedwarsstraat 51) is a good indonesian restraunt, Eaten there a couple times when we've visited.

BlingBling
    Free Member

LMFAO AndyP

dobo
    Free Member

only had a quick skim through but has anyone mentioned a boat tour, i went on 2, really enjoyable, use em as chilled out taxi's, they give a totaly different view of the city

when i went the market wasnt up to much, tram ride perhaps..

museums are good, some of the churches are cool, dont recall the names.

sex museum maybe

err i recall something about 7 bridges seeing them from the canal tour

vondel park to chil, lots of cafes to chil watching people do their thing and ladies riding bikes in high heels and umbrellas in the rain

and of course a wander through the streets and canals but dont buy anything on the street

freeform5spot
    Free Member

about 10 years ago we were there, drove into the centre, parked up outside McD's and went and spent 3 or 4 hours getting mashed in a number of the finer backwater smoke cafes. We then spent a number of hours trying to find the McDs we had parked outside of (there are 14 in about a 2 mile radius!)

Its a great city, you get out what you put in!

cynic-al
    Free Member

I did AF museum out of season – no queue.

Was good, would not have thought so if I had queued for hours! (You can book online tho)

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Amsterdam advice…..’ is closed to new replies.