Viewing 33 posts - 121 through 153 (of 153 total)
  • Americans
  • Cougar

Well since he was used as an example of who Californians like to elect as their leader, I would say no, not at all.

Bah. Fair enough. (-:

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

🙂 That’s the problem Cougar, sometimes threads go so far off track, that we forget the original point.

Cougar

TBF I was going for ‘amusing’ rather than ‘argumentative’ but, yeah.

zokes
    Free Member

I understood what you meant, Emsz, even if other folk decided to get their knickers in a twist over it.

Funny, you’re usually the first to go intercontinental at the slightist whiff of racism…

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

the slightist whiff of racism…

How could there be the slightist whiff of racism in Emsz’s comments ?

She makes no reference at all to any racial group. And since, despite the widespread existence of racism and intolerance within America, American society must represent amongst the most homogeneous in the world, no criticism of Americans can be deemed to be “racist”.

Any prejudices shown towards Americans would by necessity, only be cultural. How unacceptable that is, is opened to debate. But since Emsz didn’t enter into a vitriolic attack, and Americans themselves are generally hugely intolerant of other cultures, I wouldn’t get too worked up about it.

clubber
    Free Member

TandemJeremy – Member
    Atlaz – if it was it would be OK – but it was the way the reacted with the world around them – read my post. They really thought they could just do as they wanted because they were Americans. damn nearly got the wole lot of us arrested for smuggling FFS and were totally disrespectful of others the whole time. So much so that the one guy who did not behave like that got really fed up of them and disowned them.

Funny, I’ve seen plenty of Brits (yes, including Scots!) do exactly that abroad. Notably in Spain. Great TJ intolerance and stereotyping though 😉

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

do you bother to read? No sterotyping at all. A description of a group of american s all but one of whom acted in this way. No generalisation not sterotyping at all

I did not say all americans do this. I said the ones I met did this. BIg difference

🙄

clubber
    Free Member

Obviously not but you do use your example on a thread that (admittedly rather OT) is going on about Americans as a stereotype so what relevance other than to perpetuate it. If one of the various racist threads that have cropped up more in the past had appeared and I’d said something similar to you about the targeted racial group you’d have quite correctly got your knickers in an apoplectic twist fit.

Of course there are stupid, ignorant, self interested Americans about who might get you arrested. Same as for just about any other group.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

So infact your accusation of sterotyping and intolerance is bogus. This thread is not racist in any way either.

mactheknife

Holy ****, just read every post on here and what i took to be a humorous and slightly frazzled observation from the OP, with no blatant racist or xenophobic overtones suddenly gets turned into a massive bunfight.

Do you all take yourself this seriously 😀

Americans make me smile and pull my hair out in equal measure, i lived in Houston for a year and spent a lot of time in Louisiana and Texas so not a huge spread of US demography. They came across and the most hospitipal, friendly bunch when everything was on their terms and they were on home soil, as soon as they were in situations where they were out their depth or not comfortable then a very different side to them showed itself.
    BUT – that was a small select bunch i spent a lot of time with.

Great people in small doses i think 😀

Have a great day y’all…..

clubber
    Free Member

No, actually I don’t think it is racist but then I never said it was – do YOU actually read what people write 😉

IMO, A bit rude and self-centred by Emsz who has since apologised/explained but that’s it.

TJ you wrote this

TandemJeremy – Member
    I haven’t met many Americans but those I have (with one notable exception) were ignorant and arrogant – a nasty mix.

Which I now think you lack the social skills to see why and how that can or would be read in the way it clearly was.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Right – its very clear. Those I have met Clear statement of fact from experience. No generalisation no sterotyping.

clubber
    Free Member

So what relevance to the thread or more to the point or discussion about stereotyping? You clearly aren’t capable of understanding and I won’t change your mind so I think we’ll have to leave it there. Have a good day. Hope you’re riding somewhere nice.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

You accused me of sterotyping and intolerence. Clearly you were wrong. You then accuse me of being incapable of understanding when you have misconstrued my clear post because of your desire to attack me. You then get all huffy about my lack of understanding 🙄

Perhaps an apology for the false attack on me would be in order?

donsimon
    Free Member

Holy ****, just read every post on here and what i took to be a humorous and slightly frazzled observation from the OP, with no blatant racist or xenophobic overtones suddenly gets turned into a massive bunfight.

You don’t spend much time here, do you?

On a visit to Wales many years ago, upon entering a shop the shop keeper and customer swiftly changed from speaking English into speaking Welsh when they saw me!!! 😯
    Are all the Welsh such ingnorant bastids??? I assume YES. And before you ask, I could hear them from 25m away through a closed door on a windy day. 🙄

clubber
    Free Member

TJ, I’ve apologised to you a couple of times iirc when I’ve misread one of your posts previously. This isn’t one of those occasions. You do stereotype and you are intolerant. Not always but certainly at times when it suits your beliefs. I’m not being huffy, I just don’t feel the need to flog a dead horse as this discussion clearly is. We won’t agree so I’ll leave it there. Feel free to continue arguing with yourself though.

And have a nice day!

yunki
    Free Member

upon entering a shop the shop keeper and customer swiftly changed from speaking English into speaking Welsh when they saw me

they’d probably met you previously

donsimon
    Free Member

they’d probably met you previously

Much like yourself, which is better than forming an opinion based on limited information, which would be stupid, no?

yunki
    Free Member

I couldn’t actually care less… 🙂

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Great TJ intolerance and stereotyping though

Ooh, accusing someone of something they’re not actually guilty of FAIL. 😀

Funny, you’re usually the first to go intercontinental at the slightist whiff of racism…

Oh hang on, here’s another one! 😆

And let’s all untwist those knickers, ah, that’s better, isn’t it?

It’s a nice sunny day. Not too hot. I might go for a ride on my bike, actually…

zokes
    Free Member

It’s a nice sunny day. Not too hot. I might go for a ride on my bike, actually…

It has indeed been here, so instead of riding as I did yesterday, I went for a walk with my wife today instead. Only saw a few foreigners. It’s dark now though, so there may be a few more out there….

boblo
    Free Member

I’m in France just now. Those bloody French <garlic> <cheese> <lazy> <cowardly> <onions> <cauliflower burning> <etc> Choose your own stereotype… I quite like it here 🙂

Happy Easter everyone 🙂

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

And have a nice day!

Clearly you need one after your little surprise attack there. More to do with TeeJ than the the thread as usual 🙄

mogrim

upon entering a shop the shop keeper and customer swiftly changed from speaking English into speaking Welsh when they saw me

they’d probably met you previously[/quote]

Got to be said DS, I’ve met you and if I could speak Welsh I would have.

😀

donsimon
    Free Member

I know what you mean. 😕

Junkyard
    Free Member

You do stereotype and you are intolerant

maybee he does maybe he does not but he has not on this thread he said something based on his own personal experience which he then went into some detail about. I dont get the TJ haters tbh but at least wait till he has given you some ammunition before firing.

I love that they just started speaking Welsh line like it is obvious when you look at someone that they are or are not welsh. When they spoke welsh to me and i explained I could nto speak it very well [ sometime in elnglish sometimes in welsh they just apologised and spoke english to me
    Only once did they use welsh against me and that was because some hippy students invaded the local village pub and started winning at Bingo so they started calling the numbers in welsh …they were gutted when we played on but ok with us from that moment onwards.

bikeryder85
    Free Member

Hey I’m from the US and I resent being compared to Californians! 😡 …(tho they are from another world out there aren’t they? 😛 )

RepackRider
    Free Member

2retro4u
    Marin County, Cali

I live in California and I’m not good looking, but I can ride a bike. I don’t have an accent. People who don’t live here have accents. Ever been to Glasgow? What language do they speak there?

I didn’t vote for Schwarzenegger either. What a chump.

Bet the OP wishes he could ride where I do. I jump on my bike at home, and in fifteen minutes I am on private members-only singletrack, .

Pigface
    Free Member

and Repack that sums up America nicely “private members-only singletrack” when did riding a mountain bike get to be like golf?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I can jump on my bike and ride where ever I want across an entire country – right to roam rocks

donsimon
    Free Member

Bet the OP wishes he could ride where I do. I jump on my bike at home, and in fifteen minutes I am on private members-only singletrack, .

He is a she. 15 minutes? I have about 10 metres then unlimited riding often without seeing another soul and when I do see people they are friendly. Why has your riding been restricted to someone’s back garden/ back yard?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Bet the OP wishes he could ride where I do

I bet you wish you could get proper decent cheese where you live…. 😉

What is all that about with Merkin cheese? Is it actually even cheese? 😕

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Sure it’s cheese, it sez so on the can

Viewing 33 posts - 121 through 153 (of 153 total)

The topic ‘Americans’ is closed to new replies.