Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 153 total)
  • Americans
  • iDave
    Free Member

Mid-westerners are to beheld to be believed.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I would say that Californians are fairly unique amongst Americans.
    And Texans

And New Yorkers.

I found people from North Dakota to be fairly unique too. Ain’t that just **** mad.

emsz
    Free Member

Too Tall,

Yes, once to New York once to Florida, family Holidays.

donsimon
    Free Member

Folks from Florida have to be the more unique than others, no?

TooTall
    Free Member

emsz

What you see depends on where you are standing. Your view of America is based on the classic Brit destinations and for short visits too. America is vast – no – really massive. It contains many wonders and yes, most of them are ‘king huge. Most of their world is fairly new and built around convenience, cars and I’d have to say a higher quality of living than we have. They have more space and pay less for it. We live on a small cramped rainy island with archaic transport, small houses and drink warm flat beer. The UK is practically a historical theme park.

Raising our daughter has thrown up some strange things – my wife and I have few common reference points in our respective childhoods. Many nursery rhymes are unknown, nappies are daipers etc etc. I only mention these small things to highlight the totally different worlds united by an uncommon language.

Go and stay with them and see what they take for granted in daily life. I don’t agree with much of it, but it is illuminating to live in the USA and see how different life can be.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I also think you need to get some fresh air – you seem to be spoiling for an internet fight more than usual – which is quite something for you.

I was out on the bike today, and we’re going to Leith Hill tomorrow. I can combine lots of fresh air, with a spot of internet altercation – no bother. In fact, I reckon I’m up for it more, when I’ve had loads of fresh air and exercise.

So what motivated you to have a pop at emsz ?……… frustration and anger at being stuck indoors on a gorgeous Easter Sunday ?

mogrim

Must be said I’ve known hundreds of Americans, and met thousands more, and the ones I didn’t get on with you could probably count on one hand. Most are great, and no more ignorant than any other nationality.

emsz
    Free Member

Too Tall, I know, I was just grumpy. I still want to live in LA at some point. Don’t worry, she was just one person, I know. Can we just leave it?

idave, Don, and Deadly, **** off you three, now your just taking the piss
    😆

donsimon
    Free Member

😉

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I haven’t met many Americans but those I have (with one notable exception) were ignorant and arrogant – a nasty mix.

TooTall
    Free Member

TJ – perhaps it is what you bring out in them?

donsimon
    Free Member

I wonder what they say about you TJ?

molgrips
    Free Member

Mrs Grips to the forum please…

Just think about it this way. If you’d met two self obsessed
    Brits, you’d just think ‘oh they are self obsessed’. Because they also happened to be American, your initial thought was to assume all Americans are like that.

There are however certain cultural memes endemic in different parts of the world, that’s another issue.

they will happily chose a leader who’s only claim to fame is the “tough guy” parts he played in fantasy films

So hang on – if you have been an actor then you’re not allowed to change career and be a politician? What careers should be allowed to go into politics?

Did you follow the election campaign and listen to what Arnie had to say? What were his policies? Or are you just assuming that actors must be stupid and useless at politics?

molgrips
    Free Member

I haven’t met many Americans but those I have (with one notable exception) were ignorant and arrogant – a nasty mix

Just read this – LOL of the CENTURY!!!

HAHAHAHA!

I don’t think I can handle this much irony!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

America is vast – no – really massive.

Well, I **** never! You learn something new on STW every **** day. Well la de **** la. I’m **** astounded.

Oh hang on, molgrips is here…wayyyyyy too late. And he’s being all literal and non-metallic.

End the thread now. Put it out of its misery. NOW.

allmountainventure
    Free Member

Arnie has been involved in politics since the late 80s early 90s and always wanted to be in politics. Motivated by a dislike for the political system in Austria when he was young.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member
    IvanDobski
    Free Member

I work with Americans and tbh have nothing to say about any national character traits. However this morning I did watch one of them spend half an hour trying to open a “locked” door without success before giving in and ringing his boss. Turns out the knob on that particular door turns anti-clockwise – as his (American) boss loudly pointed out after coming in on his long weekend.

He’s probably posting on some US forum now about how Brits are all unhelpful bastards because we just watched and laughed.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

It’s coming, it’s coming….

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

…WUNUNDRED!!!

😀

emsz
    Free Member

You love doing that, don’t you 😆

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Yes.

It’s a stupid, pointless, puerile and childish thing to do, but I get immense satisfaction from it. Probbly cos I’ve got mental issues.

Ah well.

I understood what you meant, Emsz, even if other folk decided to get their knickers in a twist over it. 😉

allmountainventure
    Free Member

😆

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

It’s not nice to laugh at people with mental issues you know. 😥

Cougar

I’m slightly perplexed as to why, in a discussion about Americans, people keep posting pictures of an Austrian.

Cougar

In terms of stereotypes, how many people visit London and then tell their friends they’ve “seen England”?

I’ve met a lot of Americans and probably seen more of the US than a lot of Brits. I can conclude that there’s a lot of different places, people and attitudes. Bit like here, really.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Did you follow the election campaign and listen to what Arnie had to say? What were his policies?

He was elected on a “I’m not a politician” ticket, and therefore obviously didn’t need any policies. And it worked very well too – politicians are somewhat unpopular in the US. Part of Ronald Reagan’s appeal was that he was like a daft old granddad who is clueless about the exacting details of politics – a quality which many yanks can identify with. And hence also the huge support which the Tea Party enjoys. Of course the irony that so many yanks have so little faith in their politicians and political processes, whilst at the same time demanding that other countries follow their example, isn’t lost on me.

mogrim

I’m slightly perplexed as to why, in a discussion about Americans, people keep posting pictures of an Austrian.

Er, because he’s American and lives in California, which is where the OP’s guests are from?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

The incidents I am thinking of were on a group tour round the USSR (it was the only way I could get in on my motorbike) A large gruop mainly German and American.

One day we went to a major cathedral. The guide told them it was polite to remove their baseball hats and no photography was allowed. 3 of the Americans refused to remove their hats and took photos – well at least until I and the non ignorant and non arrogant American rounded them and told them to show some respect.

I had been to Auschwitz a few days before meeting up with them. This came up in conversation The comment was “wow amazing – bet you got loads of great photos” I told them my camera remained in my bag as it not a place to take pictures.

They wer told not to buy icons on the street – export was banned. They all did (the Americans – non of the europeans), some were found at the border on exit. The whole party was held for 6 hours and everyone had their luggage gone thru with fine comb.

I had a t shirt one of the Americans liked. They attempted to buy it off me. I refused. I would have given it to them if they had not attempted to use the power of the dollar to get what they wanted. they got quite angry when I refused.

Crass arrogant and ignorant behaviour. This is only a few examples from 2 weeks I spent with these people.

I have other similar experiences since but I have never spent so long in a group of Americans since

Cougar

Er, because he’s American and lives in California, which is where the OP’s guests are from?

He’s become an American citizen and resides in California, but he’s not Californian (or even American) by birth so it’s a bit disingenuous to be using him as an example of “Californians,” no?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

it’s a bit disingenuous to be using him as an example of “Californians,” no?

Well since he was used as an example of who Californians like to elect as their leader, I would say no, not at all.

Pigface
    Free Member

I am Governor Jerry Brown
    My aura smiles
    And never frowns
    Soon I will be president…

Carter Power will soon go away
    I will be Fuhrer one day
    I will command all of you
    Your kids will meditate in school
    Your kids will meditate in school!

[Chorus:]
    California Uber Alles
    California Uber Alles
    Uber Alles California
    Uber Alles California

Zen fascists will control you
    100% natural
    You will jog for the master race
    And always wear the happy face

Close your eyes, can’t happen here
    Big Bro’ on white horse is near
    The hippies won’t come back you say
    Mellow out or you will pay
    Mellow out or you will pay!

[Chorus]

Now it is 1984
    Knock-knock at your front door
    It’s the suede/denim secret police
    They have come for your uncool niece

Come quietly to the camp
    You’d look nice as a drawstring lamp
    Don’t you worry, it’s only a shower
    For your clothes here’s a pretty flower.

DIE on organic poison gas
    Serpent’s egg’s already hatched
    You will croak, you little clown
    When you mess with President Brown
    When you mess with President Brown

And who is the governor now? 😯

TooTall
    Free Member

Well, I **** never! You learn something new on STW every **** day. Well la de **** la. I’m **** astounded.

I take it you’ve been and travelled around it a bit then, you sanctimonious wee man. 😐

It has to be one of the main reasons for many of the differences between our nations and personas. I don’t think most people appreciate that a single country spans such a vast range of everything on a single land mass with the same language, brands, currency etc. I’m trying to add to the understanding of the OP – if you can add more to the differences between the nations, step up.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

sanctimonious

As cynic-al once said…

…oh teh ironing.

donsimon
    Free Member

I don’t think most people appreciate that a single country spans such a vast range of everything

And the only way you can appreciate this is by travelling? So, because I’ve never been to China… 🙄

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I have a good atlas don, and google maps. Russians…they’re all do dour and miserable. Most of ’em are alcoholics too.

Canadians are all lovely. Never met a nasty one. Kinda like merkins but without the fear.

donsimon
    Free Member

I have to disagree, I spent a couple of hours in Australia one of the people I met was called Bill and was tall, the other was called Brad and was shorter. Clearly they are all different. Must be a southern hemisphere thing.
    Did you know they have two languages, three if you include English, in Wales? Don’t have to be big to be different.

atlaz
    Free Member

I have other similar experiences since but I have never spent so long in a group of Americans since

Given my experience of Americans has been mostly positive (other than my housemate who was a total cock and a bloke I had an argument with at a family kids birthday), something leads me to believe, like others on this thread, that perhaps it’s a reaction to you rather than the fact Americans are unpleasant.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Atlaz – if it was it would be OK – but it was the way the reacted with the world around them – read my post. They really thought they could just do as they wanted because they were Americans. damn nearly got the wole lot of us arrested for smuggling FFS and were totally disrespectful of others the whole time. So much so that the one guy who did not behave like that got really fed up of them and disowned them.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I dunno. They sounded like a right bunch of American cocks to me. It’s a testament to TeeJ’s saintly patience that he didn’t give one of them a bunch of fives.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 153 total)

The topic ‘Americans’ is closed to new replies.