Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • Americanised National Anthem (rant)
  • instanthit
    Free Member

Just been to daughters sports day in Primary school and they sang the National Anthem with their right hands over there heart!?
    I have enough of a probelm that they have to sing it at every event we attend but the hands on heart thing was just made me want to cringe.
    Anyone else come across this?
    Are we just turning into another state of the US?

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

I passed a school last month with the flag upside down. 🙁

officialtob
    Free Member

I haven’t personally come across this, however it MASSIVELY grates on me that ‘British’ Standards (e.g. BS10012) are written full of americaniZed spellings.

legend
    Free Member

National anthem at a sports day?? Posh much?

lemonysam
    Free Member

however it MASSIVELY grates on me that ‘British’ Standards (e.g. BS10012) is full of americaniZed perfectly valid british spellings.

tomhoward

Its not just the Americans that do the hand on heart thing, from what I’ve seen at international sports events, lots of countries do it.

ocrider

WTF would you have a national anthem played at a primary school sports day?

teef
    Free Member

We’ve got the worlds worst National anthem anyway – so it would be hard to make it any worse. Makes my skin crawl every time I here it – nothing to do with Britain or the British people just about the queen. It should be renamed the queen’s anthem as it’s very little to do with the nation or the people.

patriotpro
    Free Member

ocrider – Member
    WTF would you have a national anthem played at a primary school sports day?

To simulate a big sporting event perhaps…

Posh much?

What’s posh about it?

instanthit
    Free Member

Not a posh school! Just a normal Primary school, big catchment area and multi cutural.
    headmistress is very “old school” though.
    Presume its about being patriotic.

Conan257
    Free Member

Lets be pedantic and point out that England (which I’m assuming we are talking about here) has no National Anthem…

God Save the Queen is the British National Anthem, and although other countries within Britain have specific Anthems of their own, the English do not.

dabble
    Free Member

Next year turn up with a sound system and blast out “Anarchy in the UK” by them punk lads whilst waving your willy at the kids. It should mean you won’t have to attend the subsequent sports days.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

I passed a school last month with the flag upside down

Shame on you Shep for passing by and not enquiring as to the reason for the distress signal. 😉

belugabob
    Free Member

We’ve got the worlds worst National anthem anyway – so it would be hard to make it any worse

Whether it’s the worst or not, we surely share position with Lichtenstein, who use the same tune for theirs.

tomhoward

We’ve got the worlds worst National anthem anyway

Which one would you prefer?

kjcc25
    Free Member

Shame on you Shep for passing by and not enquiring as to the reason for the distress signal.

Obviously OFSTED visiting!

clubber
    Free Member

Are we just turning into another state of the US?

Presumably not given that they weren’t singing the US national anthem 🙂

wilko1999
    Free Member

The worst thing about our national anthem at sporting events is that no-one actually knows when to start singing, and sort of join in as it goes along. Most people have joined in by ‘..our gracious Queen…’

clubber
    Free Member

Funnily enough, I represented England once and the same thing happened when we were expected to sing it 🙂

the Aussies were far worse though 😀

mogrim

Nah, that’s Spain – hasn’t even got words.

nickc

I’ve always liked the Italian national anthem, they seem to have great fun singing along as well.

teef
    Free Member

One that mentioned Britain & the British people perhaps

stevomcd
    Free Member

We’ve got the worlds worst National anthem anyway – so it would be hard to make it any worse

Whether it’s the worst or not, we surely share position with Lichtenstein, who use the same tune for theirs.

Caused a minor issue when Lichtenstein played Scotland recently! Scots fans, unfairly IMO, accused of booing and not respecting the Lichtenstein anthem. I think probably more a case of genuine confusion and a belief that some cock-up had lead to it being played for the Scotland team (which would indeed be booed, and rightly so).

tomhoward

Not sure any of the other anthems do?

cookeaa

Hands on hearts is a bit jingoistic, but then jingoism seems quite popular these days…

Lets be pedantic and point out that England (which I’m assuming we are talking about here) has no National Anthem…

God Save the Queen is the British National Anthem, and although other countries within Britain have specific Anthems of their own, the English do not.

Then I think an E-petition is in order nominating something as an “English National Anthem”

Any Proposals?

headfirst
    Free Member

My proposal:

We are the Champions by Queen.

Sung with varying degrees of irony as appropriate on each occasion.

IHN

I’ll think you’ll find that ours already mentions the Scots

Lord grant that Marshal Wade
    May by thy mighty aid
    Victory bring.
    May he sedition hush,
    And like a torrent rush,
    Rebellious Scots to crush.
    God save the Queen!

🙂

fasgadh
    Free Member

Wade – he made some good MTB routes. Probably the best bit of the dirge.

Loathsome tune and vile words – time we adopted Jerusalem.

mickolas
    Free Member

but is this bike chat?

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

I think we should adopt ‘We are the Champions’.

Positive mental attitude and all that.

😀

Lifer
    Free Member

tomhoward – Member
    “One that mentioned Britain & the British people perhaps”
    Not sure any of the other anthems do?

Lots of other national anthems mention their country and people.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

It has to be ‘Angels’ by Robbie Williams. Everyone knows the words, they can sing it while shanted, and it sums-up this chavvy nation perfectly.

zippykona

I absolutely love our anthem. Gives me the shivers as soon as you hear the drum roll.
    I quite like Advance Australia Fair. Mainly because it says “our land girt by sea”. I should like to visit Girt by Sea.

Edukator
    Free Member

A French mimic imitated Chirac and asked the national football team to do it during la Marseillaise, they did.

tomhoward

Lots of other national anthems mention their country and people.

Not Britain or Brits though 😉

My view is that it matters little how ‘good’ the anthem is, what the lyrics are or how catchy the tune is. The point is its ours, and its what we play when we are proud of ourselves as a nation. When I hear it, makes me feel proud.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

When I hear it I cringe.

Edric64
    Free Member

yunki
    Free Member

The point is its ours, and its what we play when we are proud of ourselves as a nation. When I hear it, makes me feel proud.

Drum n Bass, more specifically Jungle makes me feel proud to be British

ocrider

Talking of national anthems

This is how to insult an Australian team![video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFBZ2DY5qYA[/video]

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Americanised National Anthem (rant)’ is closed to new replies.