Viewing 28 posts - 41 through 68 (of 68 total)
  • American Sniper. (Spoliers)
  • hels
    Free Member

I’m reserving my decision on this film until I have seem chewkw’s analysis of the weaponry used.

br
    Free Member

Saw it last week.

Didn’t want to as I don’t normally like jingoistic type films, but my son wanted to see it.

Thought it was a well made film and probably the first time I’ve been to the cinema that when the lights came on and the credits started to roll, no one stood up – the cortege footage.

Didn’t make him to be a ‘hero’ or anything, just a man doing his job as he saw it.

Needed subtitles though when they were in full redneck speak 🙂

wrecker
    Free Member

I liked it. I liked the way it showed Kyles slow descent as the inevitable concequences of high risk operations took its toll, and also I think it offered a glimpse of how easy it is for these types to become completely immersed in it. I thought that it showed that he knew it was damaging him, but it was like a drug. It seems that, unlike many others he got out (just) before it was too late.
    For me, that was the interesting dimension; we have all seen loads of hollywood shooty films and those aspects are the often less depicted ones. Hurt Locker was another which captured this well and won 6 oscars, and AS is just as good as that.

convert

1 – not seen it
    2 – not read the book
    3 – not aware of the story
    4 – not one of 99% of Americans
    5 – not one of 1% of remaining Americans
    6 – was going to see it
    7 – now might not bother
    8 – it’s not much to ask to take out the spoiler

I think the point the OP went on to make is that the target audience for the film was expected to know the real life story before they saw the film. We (the British), are not the target audience, just a handy little cash cow strap on to make a few quid to pay for the catering truck. I would argue having seen this film that it is better for knowing the background story before you see it. It’s possible the OP has done you a favour!

It is quite funny though that you might not go and see it because you are now aware of a commonly known fact which most folk with a half reasonable knowledge of current affairs already knew, but the OP’s review of it saying it was rubbish (it is a bit mediocre – not as good as hurt locker imo) had no influence 🙂

jimjam
    Free Member

wrecker – Member

I liked it. I liked the way it showed Kyles slow descent as the inevitable concequences of high risk operations took its toll, and also I think it offered a glimpse of how easy it is for these types to become completely immersed in it. I thought that it showed that he knew it was damaging him, but it was like a drug. It seems that, unlike many others he got out (just) before it was too late.
    For me, that was the interesting dimension; we have all seen loads of hollywood shooty films and those aspects are the often less depicted ones. Hurt Locker was another which captured this well and won 6 oscars, and AS is just as good as that.

I know where you are coming from with regards to the toll it took on him, but his book seems to paint a different picture. In the film, it’s constantly implied that his motivation or compulsion to return to iraq and the killing is based on his need to protect his comrades, and get the bad guys, and how this conflicts massively with his family life.

At no point is it implied that he even remotely enjoyed this, or found satisfaction in it. In the book he openly states that he enjoyed his work and got a buzz from it. He seemed to take great satisfaction from it, and seemed to have quite a deep hatred for the people he was killing.

I’m not saying he was a monster, just that it would have made for a more believable and three dimensional character if it showed some/any duality of motivation. Instead it just paints him as this relentlessly selfless, self sacrificing altruistic hero who does it all for “Murica”.

wrecker
    Free Member

and seemed to have quite a deep hatred for the people he was killing.

You won’t find many who don’t/didn’t certainly in that type of role. I haven’t read the book, a friend told me I wouldn’t like it (too gung ho) but you are right; it didn’t make him look like he was having fun at all. In fact, it didn’t seem like he knew what fun was.

DezB
    Free Member

vorlich – Member
    Eastwood is pretty patchy as a Director, some of his stuff is pure snoozefest.

Definitely. Unforgiven-great; Gran Torino-Garbage.

Might still go to see American Sniper though, cos I enjoyed Fury and someone up there hated both.

fervouredimage
    Free Member

Saw it last night. Wasn’t expecting much and didn’t get much. Another simplistic childish effort from Eastwood. Almost as bad as Gran Torino but not quite. If nothing else Eastwood knows how to patronise his audience.

nickc

Approach both book and film with caution.

At best Chris Kyle was a damaged man with hero fantasies and probably a case of severe PTSD. At worst he was an out and out liar who embellished freely and made money out of it. Personally, I tend towards the latter.

I think Eastwood has probably made the film he wanted to, telling the story of a damaged man trying to reconcile what he’s done, it’s not the story of Chris Kyle per se, but a story about what intense conflict can do to a person and his family.

soobalias
    Free Member

Landis Wins.

slowoldman

Wait, don’t tell me. Someone gets shot.

fervouredimage
    Free Member

telling the story of a damaged man trying to reconcile what he’s done, it’s not the story of Chris Kyle per se, but a story about what intense conflict can do to a person and his family.

If that had been the film Eastwood had made then it wouldn’t have been bad. AS had none of that nuance, detail or depth.

nach
    Free Member

P-Jay – Member
    I see a few Hollywood people have dared to question the merits of celebrating killing at it’s a bit of a flag waving propaganda thing – and been firmly put back in their box.

He killed a lot of people, said he enjoyed it, said he wished he’d killed more, and referred to Iraqis as savages. Those aren’t rumours or out of context: they’re recorded facts and his own words, but I guess he and his reputation are largely untouchable due to

Spoiler:

I see I’m not the only person who could hear Trey Parker singing “America: **** yeah!” throughout.

donks
    Free Member

Saw it thought it was pretty average. Lots of America ….. Yeah stuff which can be typical. Not read the book so am wondering if the battle between the two snipers is factual or just an enemy at the gates rip off?

I reckon a movie of Dan Mill’s sniper one might make a better film. Certainly for British audiences.

Defender
    Free Member

I saw it last night and enjoyed it in a thoughtful way, made me think about war and it’s many victims on all sides.
    I saw Fury last year, a Hollywoodised depiction of life in a tank crew, but again from the human angle, crew interaction as well as the blood and guts of battle.

wrecker
    Free Member

I reckon a movie of Dan Mill’s sniper one might make a better film. Certainly for British audiences.

Average book though.

nach
    Free Member
    jimjam
    Free Member

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

This is another spoiler

The film left a very bad taste in the mouth, apparently for good reason (see link)

Disclaimer – This doesn’t make me a potential terrorist, beard or no.

batfink
    Free Member

I was looking forward to seeing this film….. but am full of disappoint that it sounds like this is just a vanilla, US hero-worship type deal.

I was hoping to understand whether CK had psychopathic tendencies before he joined-up, or whether his job made him that way. The guy was clearly damaged goods – but the army were happy to have him in-role because he was killing for them etc etc.

Will probably give it a miss

chewkw
    Free Member

hels – Member
    I’m reserving my decision on this film until I have seem chewkw’s analysis of the weaponry used.

I haven’t seen any film for a long time so cannot make any comment about the film but if there are plenty of sniping with some serious talking then back to sniping I am all for it. I just hope the conversation is not boring …

Apparently in real life Kyle used TAC-338 rifle a bit like this one but custom to his liking …

I am sold … I want one … 😆

A good rifle is a must but the person who shoots it is much more important. As the saying goes guns don’t kill people do, you need a good shooter to be able to get the maximum potential out of the gun/rifle.

nedrapier

Liked the onion article! Worth reading for anyone who’s slogged through this thread, without having seen the film, read the book or wanting to do either

Finally, some common ground everyone can agree on. Chris Kyle was extremely competent at doing shooting.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Eastwood is being obviously manipulative in pitching for the “human” side of the story instead of following the book’s description of a man who just wants to, for America, go back to Iraq and shoot lots more zombie maggots.

Sexy-looking gun though.

nedrapier

I’d imagine hating the people you’re being paid to kill makes it a great deal easier to do your job and keep doing it. Dehumanising the enemy in the minds of your soldiers is a big part of effective military operations, from what I gather. Depending on your definition of effective military operations, obviously.

Lifer
    Free Member

Oh, there are rumors in the camp about our enemy.
    They say that when you see him he looks just like you and me.
    But you deny it, Sergeant, and you are a man of war,
    So you must give me lessons, for I’ve never killed before.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Naming of Parts.

To-day we have naming of parts. Yesterday,
    We had daily cleaning. And to-morrow morning,
    We shall have what to do after firing. But to-day,
    To-day we have naming of parts. Japonica
    Glistens like coral in all of the neighboring gardens,
    And to-day we have naming of parts.

This is the lower sling swivel. And this
    Is the upper sling swivel, whose use you will see,
    When you are given your slings. And this is the piling swivel,
    Which in your case you have not got. The branches
    Hold in the gardens their silent, eloquent gestures,
    Which in our case we have not got.

This is the safety-catch, which is always released
    With an easy flick of the thumb. And please do not let me
    See anyone using his finger. You can do it quite easy
    If you have any strength in your thumb. The blossoms
    Are fragile and motionless, never letting anyone see
    Any of them using their finger.

And this you can see is the bolt. The purpose of this
    Is to open the breech, as you see. We can slide it
    Rapidly backwards and forwards: we call this
    Easing the spring. And rapidly backwards and forwards
    The early bees are assaulting and fumbling the flowers:
    They call it easing the Spring.

They call it easing the Spring: it is perfectly easy
    If you have any strength in your thumb: like the bolt,
    And the breech, and the cocking-piece, and the point of balance,
    Which in our case we have not got; and the almond-blossom
    Silent in all of the gardens and the bees going backwards and forwards,
    For to-day we have naming of parts.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Well I knew the ending as its historical fact and was well publicised at the time.

I am not a fan of Hollywood movies generally but this was OK. I can’t really see what all the fuss has been about, Eastwood went out of his way to show only “legitimate kills” and plenty of shots not taken this was all bit Holywood especially with the kid with the rocket launcher.

mooman
    Free Member

Watched it last night. It wasn’t as bad as Fury … It was pretty close though.
    Expected better from Eastwood.
    4/10 … Bad movie but not quite as cringe worthy as Fury.

Viewing 28 posts - 41 through 68 (of 68 total)

The topic ‘American Sniper. (Spoliers)’ is closed to new replies.