• This topic has 39 replies, 32 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by mtbel.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • American Pie – What do the lyrics mean to you?
  • geetee1972
    Free Member

So the original manuscript for the song ‘American Pie’ is being auctioned today and, I guess as part of the publicity campaign, Don McClean has said he will explain what the rest of the song means (other than the first part which as we all know is about the death of Buddy Holly).

The song might have become a bit of a cliche these days but that’s probably because we all have a story about why the song is important to us.

So what’s your story?

Mine is that when my brother and I were nine and 11 respectively, our dad took us camaping for a week in the Langdale Valley. We spent the week walking, cooking in the outdoors, having lunch in the Old Dungeon Ghyll, listening the stories our dad told about what he used to get up to as a teenager walking and climbing in the lakes and, of course, listening to music and in particular ‘American Pie’.

So for me the song is about my dad and times we spent with him (he is now not so well and won’t remember any of the above).

mogrim

No idea what they mean, but a bit of apple or pumpkin pie would go down a treat right now.

Drac

No idea but it’s bloody awful song.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Harumph. So much for sharing those halcyon days memories!

dbcooper
    Free Member

It means “easy to remember so I can sing along to it and the lyrics create images and feelings in my head that I don’t have to rationalise”
    I like it.
    Thats how I feel about pretty much all songs I like..

RobHilton
    Free Member

sewer rat may taste like pumpkin pie, but I’d never know…

edhornby

it’s one of those songs that either you never tire of, or it annoys you, sorry to say but I tired of it (circular chord sequence, overly long)

uselesshippy
    Free Member

If I’m singing it, it means I’m drunk.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Well this thread has fallen flatter than spring classic route profile 😀

Sorry chaps.

The song may or may not have merit, but honestly given my dad’s health and state of mind it is poignant for me.

iolo
    Free Member

It reminds me of Sunday nights in the Grapes hotel, Maentwrog in the early 90s.

nickc

No idea but it’s bloody awful song.

I’ve always thought it was about the death of Buddy Holly and the music and counterculture of the 60’s. Never even realised until this morning that there was any controversy about the lyrics either, all seemed pretty straightforward to me.

Hateful song though, dull chords and waaaaaaay too long

Bregante

It reminds me of playing at the local Rec, building ramps for our bikes (Raleigh Trekker) , long summer days, jumpers for goal posts,
    Isn’t it? Wasn’t it? Hmm?

theotherjonv

Reminds me of beardy student types playing it on their guitars at house parties, and then proceeding to get far more sex than i did because their party trick of being able to play one singalong song was so much better than any of my drink based ones.

****, all of them. Hated the song ever since.

gordimhor

To me it’s all about loss of innocence and growing disillusionment.Don Mcleans’s dislike of the late 60s/early 70s west coast music scene.

firestarter
    Free Member

Reminds me of when the local pub staff got the singer to sing it and everyone joined in the night before i flew out for my second tour in Bosnia. And as is normal when this song plays i was drunk 🙂

chris85
    Free Member

Reminds me of beardy student types

Isn’t that 99.9% of you lot on here??? 😆

Good song in my opinion.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Harumph. So much for sharing those halcyon days memories!

people are back at work and grumpy, thanks for sharing the story very cool

If I’m singing it, it means I’m drunk.

Me too, nothing particularly poignant for me but its a song, nothing too serious, generally associated with having a good time in a group.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Living in a duplex flat when I was 21, listening to the Chevy being driven to the f***** levy EVERY night, on repeat, by the sad old divorced man who lived alone, above, with his very loud hifi.

That’s all it will ever mean to me.

IHN

It reminds me of Mr Foschtinski’s A-level Geography class.

ourmaninthenorth

Reminds me of the “computer room” at school, where someone had left a copy of the lyrics printed out on a dot matrix printer. Yes, they’d typed them up (this is before we all got the internet).

So, a bit meh TBH.

Marin
    Free Member

Reminds me whem I worked in a pub when I was 18. Still used to close at 3 in afternoon. On Sunday whole pub used to sing along at last orders and it was a very busy pub. Happy Days still a great song. Was in the OldDungeon Ghyll on Friday night. Your dad may be happy to know it’s still the same and our table was full of drunken happy climbers.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I like McLean’s explanation – it means “I never have to work again”. Estimated earnings between $5m – $10m. He even earned money from the American Pie films – as he seemingly owns copyright to the phrase “American Pie”. Not bad going for an awful song, to be fair. Am on a phone today so can’t search – who’s selling this set of lyrics? Is it McClean himself and why would he need to raise the cash?

Schweiz
    Free Member

Ruined by Madge

ads678

Just a song from the olden days to me, no meaning what soever.

I’m pleased it gives the OP some fond memories though, doesn’t really matter to the rest of us as long as he gets some pleasure out of it in bad times. 🙂

jambalaya
    Free Member

Blimey what a bunch of gumpy sods !

The song was sung around the piano at a Yorkshire rugby club on a good (Scottish) friends stag do after a very late night game of 7’s – we may have been naked – we where certainly very drunk, I seem to be able to remember the lyrics best when drunk. 25 years ago I think.

Pigface
    Free Member

As a teenager I had a pick up truck so liked that line.

I like the song but cant remember the last time I heard it.

zinaru
    Free Member

i don’t have any real story about that particular song but find it amusing how much hype is in the media about the notes revealing its true meaning.

i predict the true story and meaning behind the song will be a bit rubbish.

he was hungry, he drove a vehicle to an embankment which wasn’t holding back any water at this time. some drunk people were singing. he remembers buddy holly’s plane crashing and hey! lots of words rhyme…

😈

Drac

Sorry chaps.
    The song may or may not have merit, but honestly given my dad’s health and state of mind it is poignant for me.

No I get that and it’s nice for you but it has nothing for me or many others it seems. Except maybe the drunk singalong thing.

Ecstasy for Gold is poignant for me because when my Dad was ill it kept coming on the iPod in the car. After I’d spent 72 hours sat by his side at hospital and seen a glint of hope that he may survive, it came on as I drove exhausted home to see my kids and wife. Now whene I here it I nearly blubber.

Most people probably think Ectasy for Gold is shit.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Drac how did things turn out?

Drac

Cheers for asking.

5 years this weekend gone and he’s still going. He doesn’t have the best of lifestyles but he’s alive and we’re thankful for that.

racefaceec90

am glad your father is still around Drac.

as for the song i can listen to it,but must admit to not really knowing the words.

geetee1972
    Free Member

5 years this weekend gone and he’s still going. He doesn’t have the best of lifestyles but he’s alive and we’re thankful for that.

Also happy for you Drac 😀

Drac

Cheers folks.

stumpy01

Schweiz – Member

Ruined by Madge

+1.

zinaru – Member

i predict the true story and meaning behind the song will be a bit rubbish.

erm, +1

Similar to when Nirvana said they were going to reveal the meaning of ‘smells like teen spirit’ and Kerrang were spaffing for weeks that they were getting an exclusive interview and were going to reveal what Kurt Cobain was really thinking and blah blah blah……and basically, they said it was just a load of nonsense words thrown together and it didn’t mean anything. mega.

wolfenstein
    Free Member

song reminds me of werd al yancovic and star wars 😯

gnusmas

If I’m singing it, it means I’m drunk

Me too 😀

footflaps

Reminds me of seeing him play Cambridge Folk Festival in the late 80s where he headlined.

avdave2

Reminds me of my geography teacher Mr Ferber who went on about levees and would always bring up this song. Well Mr Ferber you may have only thought I was good enough for CSS geography but I thought I was good enough to do gce so paid to do it. And I guess my subsequent grade A at A level geography shows I was right and you were a useless teacher only interested in flirting with the girls who sat at the front. You wouldn’t get away with that today matey.

binners

As it had the word pie in the title, I just remember the soul crushing feeling of disappointment that there was no further mentions of sausage rolls, cheese and onion pasties or steak bakes.

Then Madonna covered it. And if there was ever a woman in more desperate need of a pie…..

mtbel
    Free Member

Ah.. Madonna’s pie. remember it well from the 90s.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘American Pie – What do the lyrics mean to you?’ is closed to new replies.