Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • American Gods. Possible spoilers.
  • eddiebaby
    Free Member

Anyone elseseen the first episode yet? Looks like Gaiman has finally got to have his say on this.
    I’ve read the book, loved the look of it and was amazed by the gore and really am uncertain of how it is going to pan out for me. The next couple of episodes should be fascinating.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6HLeNl8DOs[/video]

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbPdUEQanAo[/video]

metalheart
    Free Member

Hmm, been waiting for this….

drlex
    Free Member

Thanks for the reminder; just started 12 Monkeys but can take a break. I think they’re amalgamating it with Anansi Boys, and I’m mostly looking forward to Ian McShane. Extreme Gore I can do without, and I hope that there’s not too much explanation to the viewers in the dialogue or (shudder) voice over.

lazybike
    Free Member

Will watch this once I’ve finished Black Sails.

v8ninety

See, that looks kinda interesting but the trailer leaves me none the wiser as to what it’s actually about; anyone care to summarise?

eddiebaby
    Free Member

I think the BBC have the current rights to Anansi although obviously? Mr Nancy also appears in American Gods.

CountZero

See, that looks kinda interesting but the trailer leaves me none the wiser as to what it’s actually about; anyone care to summarise

The book has been around for years, reading it might help…
    Or just look for a synopsis online.
    The only spoiler for me is that it’s on Amazon Prime…

lazybike
    Free Member

I’m guessing it’s mainly tragedy with a bit of comedy and some love interest thrown in.. 🙂

miketually
    Free Member

anyone care to summarise

When people emigrate, they take their gods with them. The old gods are about to go to war with the new gods.

johnners
    Free Member

Just watched the first episode, I thought it was quite unpleasant and a bit tedious. Though I did like Neverwhere and Stardust I’m not really a big Neil Gaiman fan and I don’t think I’ll be watching any more of this one.

drlex
    Free Member

^ there is also the premise that deity is powered by belief; when people stop worshipping, sacrificing or believing in them, their importance fades. Certainly strong content in that opening episode – keen for ep.2.

lordmerchant
    Free Member

Read the book, was alright (not great). Saw first episode, was alright, not great.

technicallyinept
    Free Member

I enjoyed the book. Was looking forward to the adaptation but having just watched the first episode, I’m not sure I’ll be watching any more.

lazybike
    Free Member

Not read the book or heard of the author, I’ll give ep2 a look though, I did laugh out loud at the “I’m trying to get my dignity back here” moment.

batfink
    Free Member

there is also the premise that deity is powered by belief; when people stop worshipping, sacrificing or believing in them, their importance fades

Soooooooo….. it’s a ahem “homage” to Terry pratchett’s Small Gods then?

MSP

I got half way through the first episode, it was pretty poor.

iamtheresurrection

I normally just ditch a book I don’t get into, but finished this one despite myself probably only because Good Omens was one of my favourite books from my teens…

Gaiman is clearly a bloody clever author. Not sure I ever find his style easy to read though.

Markie
    Free Member

Not really. Pratchett and Gaiman both wrote of gods requiring worship before the publication of small gods.

My take is it’s a known idea that they both took in different, great, directions,

olly2097
    Free Member

That main actor used to be a wooden actor on hollyoaks years ago. He improved?

lazybike
    Free Member

He was ok….To be honest there’s so much weirdness going on you don’t really notice.

MSP

That main actor used to be a wooden actor on hollyoaks years ago. He improved?

No he was wooden, and everyone else was overacting.

jimdubleyou

Not sure if the exact chronology but their jointly authored Good Omens was published two years before Small Gods.

I’m sure they spoke about the idea.

As to the main actor, he was in The 100. Irony was, he played a member of the Tree Crew.

jtintheuk
    Free Member

Just watched the first eposode, I reckon it is going to be good! Can’t wait for the next episode.

STATO
    Free Member

Can anyone watch anything with him in without whistling the theme tune to lovejoy?

funkmasterp

Ian McShane just seems to get better with age. First episode was okay, but I think it’s a pretty difficult book to adapt. I’m hoping it improves as it goes.

mikey74
    Free Member

I’ve just watched the first episode: It’s one of my favourite books (one of the few I’ve read twice), so it has a lot to live up to, and I think it’s looking good, so far.

Ian McShane is superb choice as Mr Wednesday. Shadow is good casting as well. Hopefully it continues as well as it’s started.

twistedpencil

Lovejoy was wiped from my memory banks with McShanes performance as Al Sweargen in Deadwood, made Malcolm Tucker look like a school kid.

Will have to give this ago.

teasel
    Free Member

Haven’t watched this yet but to be fair to the guy playing Shadow – yeah, sure, he’s not the most expressive of actors but if the book version of Shadow is anything to go by then ‘cardboard’ and ‘wooden’ are quite fitting.

Looking forward to it.

drlex
    Free Member

Great second episode; particularly Gillian Anderson made up like Lucille Ball. Mr Nancy also had a fiery introduction, in a scene absent from the book.

CountZero

Not read the book or heard of the author, I’ll give ep2 a look though, I did laugh out loud at the “I’m trying to get my dignity back here” moment.

Neil is a very prolific writer, the Beeb made a series out of one of his books, ‘Neverwhere ‘, there’s a major movie made from another one, that’s regularly shown on telly, especially around Christmas, called ‘Stardust’, with Robert DeNiro, and Michelle Pfeiffer, among others, it’s difficult to see how you might have missed hearing about him.
    Regards ‘American Gods’ and ‘Good Omens’, when Terry signed my copy of ‘Good Omens’, he wrote ‘Neil made me do it!’ on the fly leaf…
    Neil signed it as well, at a later date.
    I’m really not sure there’s that much of a similarity between the two books.

molgrips
    Free Member

I enjoyed the book – ish – it was fairly standard fare I thought but decent. Not so keen on the tv series though. Book was thoughtful and sensitive. The series had some great weirdness but the gore was pretty unnecessary and made it rather grim.

lazybike
    Free Member

it’s difficult to see how you might have missed hearing about him.

I don’t pay a lot of attention to names! I do remember Stardust being a bit meh…You light… the sky.. up above me… yeah a yeah.

I thought ep2 started really well…then lost it’s way, what’s the black woman who consumes her partners all about?

ocrider

what’s the black woman who consumes her partners all about?

Cosmic vajazzles, obvs

I’m intrigued by it. Haven’t read the novel, but loved the Sandman series, so I’m sticking with it.
    If Shadow is supposed to be a passive, empty vessel, Hollyoaks bloke is doing fine.

johnx2
    Free Member

Surviving Hollyoaks explains the reasonably convincing 3000 yard stare. He’s got a good everyman face and, unlike many prison exercise yard scenes, looks like he does actually lift what’s on the bar… Is his real accent high pitched brummie or something?

I like some hokum on the go and I think this is okay. The seedy russians were good, and Ian McShane as the talking scrotum. It’s not exactly fast paced though…

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Just started watching and up to episode 3, quite enjoying it so far. Did anyone else stick with it? I really liked the book so this was an easy watch but I can see how it might not fly with a lot of folks. Titles feel like a bit of a Daredevil rip off for some reason.

mikey74
    Free Member

Yeah, I watched the whole thing: It’s good, and I’m looking forward to the next series.

jimjam
    Free Member

I watched up to ep. 7 I think. Which may or may not have been absolutely atrocious. There’s just something interolerable about Hollywood depiction of Oírland.

The title sequence was created by the same company, can’t remember their name. I love the American God’s title sequence, my favourite in recent years.

lazybike
    Free Member

I watched them all…it’s weird, but I liked it.

Steelfreak
    Free Member

Just watching it now on DVD.

Certainly a ‘Marmite’ type of show that can be a bit slow and disjointed in places, but Mrs Freak and I are generally enjoying it so far. It works hard to justify its 18 certificate with plenty of sex ‘n’ violence, but the the blood and gore is cartoon-like in nature. Overall it’s different enough to be interesting and makes a refreshing change from some of the more anodyne offerings around.

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘American Gods. Possible spoilers.’ is closed to new replies.