Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • American Classic Wide Lightening 29er or what light trail bike wheels??
  • dickie
    Free Member

I’m considering replacing my existing wheelset, Superstar Tesla/Stans Arch EX 29, with something wider & lighter.
    AC Wide Lightening 29er at around £500 & 1600g look good or what else should I consider for my 29er trail bike?

rhayter

For my money, it’s hard to see past them. A great choice. Just don’t blast the hubs with a jet wash.

Chipbutty
    Free Member

Got the 27.5 version on my Stanton HT. Really nice. Light and stiff. Got a 2.35 Magic Mary on the front and DHR on rear, both have a good shape and volume to them. Only had them for a month but ok so far. See how the hubs hold up after a Scottish winter.

damascus
    Free Member

I’ve just snapped my frame and all the new frames seem to be boost so my wheels won’t fit a new frame so if you are after a set of American classics wide lightening around a year old, 100×15 front 142 x 12 rear then email me.

cr4sh
    Free Member

Also have the 27.5 set on my soul..light, fairly tough and make a 2.3 look really fat.. but..that freehub – I have no problem maintaining it if needed but the points of engagement are in different postcodes it feels like. I put up with it but I’d love a better design up the rear.

dickie
    Free Member

@ cr4sh, so you wouldn’t agree with this in the Singletracks review of October 2015;

The rear hub uses American Classic’s patented “Six Pawl Cam Actuated Engagement System” and 24 ratchet teeth on the cassette body. Each of the six pawls has two teeth for 12 points of contact, and all the pawls engage simultaneously. All that to say, the hub has very quick engagement–a welcome feature when powering through techy climbs. Even with all those points of engagement, the hubs don’t feel draggy, and unlike many other quick-engaging hubs, these are quiet.

damascus
    Free Member

The only time I notice the pick up is on really technical climbs when I do a bit of back pedalling and then pedal forward and there’s a bit of a delay.

My friends that bought these wheels replaced the hubs with hope. I kept mine as I didn’t have a problem with them and they were lighter.

I also run the tyres at a higher pressure than normal to protect the rim. My friends didn’t and they have a few dinks

Having run them over a year I’d buy another pair but just remember they are very light so if you are planning on aggressive riding I’d look at something else.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘American Classic Wide Lightening 29er or what light trail bike wheels??’ is closed to new replies.