Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)
  • American Cars – rental car abuse content
  • molgrips
    Free Member

They go on forever, and are dead cheap

Hmm, new cars are cheap in the US but for some reason used are not. The very cheapest used car you can get is likely to be $1000 and be an utter wreck – no MOTs in most states either so when I say wreck I mean it.

But even their new cars are poor. Nasty plastic insides and cheap knobs and switches absolutely like the 1980s cars I remember. Terrible.

neilforrow

“dont be gentle, it’s a rental”

molgrips
    Free Member

Don’t piss about with rental cars, cos it makes everyone’s rentals more expensive, including yours.

TooTall
    Free Member

American cars have a crappier trim compared to European cars and they like big lazy engines. However, the Kias and other Eastern cars I have had there have all been fine. You have to understand the differences in American motoring and you only really get that after a few thousand miles of a road trip there. No corners, long open roads etc so you want more room in a car, cruise control and suspension doesn’t need to be for a sports car.

Lifer
    Free Member

Cherokee down the steps was glorious

CountZero

Back in ’93 I won a trip to LA for a week, courtesy of Radio 1 and the Simon Bates Show. (correctly answering a bunch of questions about the film Sneakers, before you ask), and I had one of these for my time there:

Buick Skylark, the same colour, and ugly as sin. Great to drive around LA, though, 3.3 V6, and went pretty well despite the soggy auto box. Only used half a tank in a week’s driving. Sounded really good when I wellied it, too.

bruk

Rented a Toyota Corolla years back in Canade which had a broken boot. Got upgraded to a Pontiac Grand Am. 3.0l v6 2 door sports coupe. V cool to drive around but auto box was shocking.

Best moment, Mountie ‘do you know how fast we clocked you at?’

Me ‘er no.’

Mountie ‘130 km in a 90km zone’

Me ‘ er ok (secretly inside Pheeeew, been doing 170 earlier)’

Still gash compared to any kind of European or Japanese 3.0l coupe though.

Lifer
    Free Member

My Dad and Uncle have had a few American cars between them, Dad had one of these:

’66 Fastback

but replaced it with one of these:

’03 Mach 1

Uncle currently rebuilding one of these:

’63 Ford Falcon

Tried my best to convince him to get the station wagon but to no avail.

Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘American Cars – rental car abuse content’ is closed to new replies.