Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • American Bulldogs?
  • loddrik
    Free Member

There seems to be loads of these for sale by me these days, are they some sort of pitbull variant so they are not illegal?

patriotpro
    Free Member

Do you mean American Pitbulls? If so they are illegal.

They are quite distinctive – can you post a pic up of one?

loddrik
    Free Member

Not pitbulls, American Bulldogs.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Not on the [arbitrary and pointless] banned breeds list, so no, not illegal.

DezB
    Free Member

for sale by me these days

Why are you selling them if you don’t know?

chilled76
    Free Member

Bull dogs come in various forms.

The american variety being the tallest breed. The american bull dogs come in two variety’s too (I think one is called a Johnson and can’t remember what the other is), but the difference between the two is slight and is mostly in the shape of their snout.

Amercan bulldogs are much bigger than a pit bull or a staffy and no they aren’t illigal or banned.

Still dangerous in the wrong hands though.

No such thing as bad dogs, just irrisponsible breeders and owners.

5thElefant
    Free Member

History…

They’re of British origin, from the midlands, and bred for gaurding livestock and hunting feral pigs. Not a fighting dog, but a brummy farm dog.

soobalias
    Free Member

call em what you want, they are big powerful fighting/status dogs and their current popularity is based on their legality combined with the fact you dont want to mess with one.

makes a staff look like a lap-dog.

Junkyard
    Free Member

No such thing as bad dogs

There is I have had one and had it put down

Some people and some dogs are just borne “wrong”.

I agree with your broader point though the general cause is usually the owner and not the dog.

organic355
    Free Member

American Bulldogs?

is that like british bulldogs but with these rules?

AMERICAN BULLDOGS – NEW RULES*
    Name is far too patriotic and aggressive, change to International Poodles
    Safe ‘home’ areas called on each side to be renamed. Home is not always safe for children
    No winners or losers – must be non-competitive
    Children to wear full protective body gear, including knee pads, helmet and gum shields
    Catching friends is too violent – instead players to shout “poodle” when they get within one foot (or the metric equivalent)

loddrik
    Free Member

I only ask as they seem to be the council estate/18yr old scal dog of choice these days. I just assumed they were some sort of pitbull amalgamation to get around the legislation.

Most people who own one seem like idiots, though its obviously not the dogs fault.

chilled76
    Free Member

Indeed, they tend to attract the wrong sort of owners.

They are scary looking big muscular dogs.. so if you want to look like you’ve got a beast to protect you then they appeal. Hence the general nob head owners.

Junkyard… did you have it from a wee pup? If not then could it not have been the previous owners/breeders that caused the damage that was irreversable? If you did have it from a wee pup and were a responsible educated owner then fair enough.. but that’s a pretty rare case imho.

godzilla
    Free Member

Totally with junkyard on this, you get bad dogs like you get bad people.
    The Chav dog of choice thing seems pretty regional and trends change, as a dog catcher that has a massive area i see quite often that in a certain area there will be lots of similar dogs of similar ages dumped/lost at similar times.
    Chav dog of choice at the moment round our way seems to be Husky’s, these things make Staff’s look like a sensible pet as the can jump the average council house fence in one, hopefully American bulldogs never become in vogue, the Mastiff trend was a pita.

Junkyard
    Free Member

but that’s a pretty rare case imho

yes to had as a pup but he would just unpredictably attack things for no apparent reason. He had to be muzzled and on a lead at all times.

He eventually snapped his lead and attacked a small child. I was walking him and the child just walked past doing nothing- thankfully he was muzzled so did not do any real damage though he turned on me when i waded in kicking and screaming and that was the end for him [ the child bit not what he did to me].
    It may be as rare as it is in humans but it does happen
    I agree 99 % + will be the owners not the dog.

scaredypants

Not entirely harmless, but it’ll not have your face off like a poodle might

carlosg
    Free Member

A bloke on my post round has one. Up to 12 months old it was great then all of a sudden it became very aggressive , its behind a 7 foot fence and it’s head is visible when it jumps .I just get in and out of the garden as quick as possible. Wouldn’t like to meet it on the street as I dont think needing to kick it in self defence would have much effect.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Meet one regularly in our regular park – with its bollocks still there. Owner asked to me to hang onto its lead once – tbh, if it had wanted, it could have dragged me along like a sled. It scares the shit out of me – and given its owner, I think that’s the desired effect. He runs away when Molly chases him yip-yipping at him, which is quite hilarious to watch but my heart is in my mouth when they’re together out of kicking distance. He’d snap her in two in a heartbeat if he turned.

somouk
    Free Member
    RichT

The wiki link is good. They are not related to pitbulls and like all dogs need to be handled sensibly, but are not a particularly aggressive breed when compared to similar large herding or guarding breeds.
    We’ve got a two year old rottweiler X american bulldog bitch from Battersea. She is a complete wimp and loves being chased around by other dogs. She was chased around the field by a small cockerpoo puppy yesterday, much to the amusement of the youths playing football.

anagallis_arvensis

I am a complete dog nut, love dogs but an american bulldog running up to me uninvited is quite unnerving. Lots of them around my way. Big, strong, powerful and **** ugly, most appear to be owned by crack head morons.

anagallis_arvensis

I am a complete dog nut, love dogs but an american bulldog running up to me uninvited is quite unnerving. Lots of them around my way. Big, strong, powerful and **** ugly, most appear to be owned by crack head morons.

Oops sorry!

RichT

My cross reminds me a lot of the Boxer bitch we had as a kid. Similar colour, size and build, just not with such a squashed face. Also similar character, but not so excitable as the boxer and a bit of a star pupil at obedience class.
    Of course a bitch is going to be smaller and easier to handle than a complete dog, but she really is a cracker.

patriotpro
    Free Member

Just google imaged american bulldog – scary looking mo-fos. 😯

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘American Bulldogs?’ is closed to new replies.