Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • American Airlines – any good?
  • IHN

We’ll be booking some flights to Belize soon, and American are one of the carriers that keep popping up (for cheapest flights, we’ll be travelling cattle class).

It’ll probably be Heathrow -> Miami -> Belize

In the back of my mind I’ve got a hunch they’re terrible. Am I right? Is it worth paying a bit more for BA.

allfankledup

Codeshare with BA – have been transferred onto one of their flights (business class) – seats weren’t as good as BA, it was an older style plane. The dessert trolley was pretty good though, probably the highlight of the flight….

TheWrongTrousers

They’re a lot better than they used to be, they’ve caught up with the European carriers, especially up the front end.
    As mentioned, they codeshare with BA so the Heathrow-Miami sector might actually end up being on BA ‘metal’ anyway.
    But BA are heading in the opposite direction quality-wise so I wouldn’t get too excited about that anyway.
    And no, it’s not worth paying more for BA.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    tonyg2003

I did a code share (transatlantic BA and local AA) to Texas last week. The short hop AA plane was far nicer than the transatlantic BA 747. AA seem to be OK. As said you might book AA and get BA to Miami.

IHN

Cheers. As long as they ‘alright’ or better, I can live with it.

holmesy
    Free Member

In my recent experience not great but if they were well priced and good flight times I would use them. As others have said you could end up with the, anyway if you book BA

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I do MIA a few times a year. Their flights to MIA are using recently refitted 777s, and are one of my preferred routes.

hot_fiat

They’re pretty good. I sort of prefer Delta, but then I’m a KLM / skyteam whore.

Leagues ahead of the other US carrier dross such as United.

xora

So big advantage of AA over BA is being able to pre-book seats in advance a whole lot cheaper!

5lab

they’re not much better or worse than the others (better than united though) – so not awful.

If you’re changing in the US you probably will have to go through immigration, so make sure your etas are in place. When we went to Belize the other year we decided to do a proper transfer on the way back (in Chicago) which was a nice way to break up the journey

hot_fiat

If you’re changing in the US you probably will have to go through immigration, so make sure your etas are in place

^^this^^ there is no transit get out clause, you’re either a visitor to the US or not. Do not bank on any short connections too – you’ll have to go through full immigration with everyone else, collect your luggage and re-check it.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

If you’re changing in the US you probably will have to go through immigration, so make sure your etas are in place

ESTA.

I transferred through MIA a few weeks back, was pretty good. Has gone from being terrible to not at all bad. Unlike ORD, which remains dreadful.

allfankledup

If you can get Avios for a flight with AA then do so.

We’ve got a considerable amount of wine recently having cashed in a few years business travel on BA….

molgrips
    Free Member

For me, no. This was 7-8 years ago though.

Staff didn’t care, but gave the impression their working life was just so shit they could barely deal with it. Didn’t do anything to help when travelling with a baby. BA on the other hand fell over themselves to help as much as they could.

dashed
    Free Member

Depends on the route I think – flew from Manchester to JFK last year on a ancient old 737. Food, service and entertainment were terrible but the flight was deserted so I got 4 middle seats to myself so slept well!

Return flight was Chicago to Heathrow on a 787 Dreamliner thing and entertainment / seats etc were much better. Food ok, service still a bit mediocre.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘American Airlines – any good?’ is closed to new replies.