Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • America cup yacht
  • Pigface
    Free Member

A guy I used to dive with in New Zealand helped build this, he is a wizz with carbon fibre. An astonishing piece of kit.

yetidave
    Free Member

It can fly!

matt_outandabout

They are amazing – the speed of them is just immense. It is going to be an amazing spectacle.

Ooooops

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    sharkbait
    Free Member

It’s all very clever but ultimately a waste of time and money in my view. The problem I have with it is that, although the boats are very very quick, all the boats are similarly quick and they stay away from each other so the racing will be comparatively boring.
    The AC 40 series were much much better to watch.

cr500dom
    Free Member

A guy I currently work with helped to build that too 😉

matt_outandabout

They do not seem to bothered in AC45’s
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAVnp7xRK1E

The speed…

sambob
    Free Member

That Oracle crash was a pretty big issue for them, bits of carbon scattered all over San Francisco bay. Fancy a play on an Extreme 40.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Erm I’ve raced Extreme 40’s, most excellent fun, very quick, cold and like having a fire hydrant splat in yer face when going downwind. Hard work when both windy (+15knts) and wavy.

Not my kinda sailing, bang a corner, bang another, bang another, bang another etc… Etc..

oldnick

Certainly a big change to the old style Americas Cup style of racing, what’s the idea? Shore spectator friendly? Cheaper to televise? Or just to cut the fees to the lawyers?

matt_outandabout

all the above, and some more smash n go

sambob
    Free Member

Not sure I’d enjoy it, but something that needs to be done I feel.

Dibbs
    Free Member

I went down to Plymouth a couple of times to watch while the world series races were on a couple of years ago, quite good from a spectators point of view. Four helicopters filming, cameras on the boats all relayed back to the big screen on the Hoe.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jvk4D-GlUgE[/video]

Rorschach
    Free Member

Its going to be a bit one sided.Oracle is a POS.

compositepro
    Free Member

Funny thing i worked on a few Americas cup boats tbh its as boring as **** in fact its nearly as boring as F1
    in fact real blokes go racing volvo style

CountZero

This is Americas Cup racing:

watsontony
    Free Member

This is was Americas Cup racing

FTFY

sharkbait
    Free Member

all the above, and some more smash n go

Er, no. Given the huge amount of money these things cost and the fact that any damage takes a considerable amount of time to fix these boats will not be engaging in any boat on boat tactics so it will be as boring as the last AC.
    The AC45s where a different matter. They HAD to mix it up simply because they had such a small race area. All the boats where identical and so the racing was good on TV, affordable and great – it’s what the AC should be.

That Oracle crash was a pretty big issue for them

They couldn’t get the boat upright and the tide took it out into the open sea where it proceeded to break up. It appears any capsize is going to be pretty catastophic.

vinnyeh

No, this is America’s Cup racing, and always has been.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘America cup yacht’ is closed to new replies.