Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • AM/enduro platforms ? (F20, Boomslang, Vault ? )
  • razorjack
    Free Member

Hi
    I’m looking for a new platforms, grip, look, reliability, weight are important 🙂

i was thinking on Hope F20, Specialized Boomslang, DMR Vault, maybe something else ?

F20 not the gripiest one, but reliable
    Boomslang and Vault – gripiest i guess, what about reliability ?
    Boomslang – looks rad 🙂

prezet
    Free Member
    BoardinBob

platforms

Really? Is this what we call pedals nowadays? Are they going on your gnar-sled?

😳

Stevet1
    Free Member

Happy with my Vaults, and my new shape V12’s as well.

wilko1999
    Free Member

Vaults vaults vaults, I have them on both my MTBs – a 160mm full suss and my all-round HT XC/commuter 29er too. They’re just bl88dy good wide, grippy, reliable, easily serviceable pedals. Just buy Prezet’s, you wont be disappointed. EDIT : if you want black that is 🙂

warpcow
    Free Member

I’m happy with my F20s, but I don’t like suuuuper grippy pedals. They’re much more than adequate, though, but at these prices I’m guessing taste is a big factor too.

Bagstard
    Free Member

Love my spank spikes, grippy, wide, wafer thin, not sure on longevity though?!

andyrm
    Free Member

I’m loving my Boomslangs – really geippy and lots of nice little details like the spare pins and the snap off pin design so the pedal body threads don’t get damaged. Had Vaults before and genuinely prefer these for grip.

Northwind

Vault if you’ve got massive feet but otherwise they’re nothing special imo, no better than my Nanos at anything and worse at some.

tom.nash

Vaults if you have the cash, Nukeproof otherwise. Got both and they are both awesome with my 5Tens.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Vaults are good, I have some Nano’s that have longer pins in, which are great as it makes the platform actually concave. Before they were alright, never felt like I had quite enough grip however.

Vaults with the longer pins in have been spot on though.

roverpig

I’m happy with my F20s, but I don’t like suuuuper grippy pedals.

Same here. I have F20s one one bike and Vaults on the other. The Vaults are more grippy, but too grippy for me (with FiveTen shoes) and I prefer the F20s.

andysredmini
    Free Member

I have 2 sets of Hope F20’s. The first set is over a year old and the second set is around 6 months old. Both are still running perfect and have stood up well to bad weather numerous rock strikes enhanced by my bikes low bb.
    Regarding the grip level. My first set came with the standard pins and the grip level on these for me is perfect. The second set came with the newer style hollow pins and for me these are too grippy. I really didn’t think it would make much difference but once my foot is in place its stuck like glue.

longmover
    Free Member

what about Deity Decoys? I really rate them, or Burgtecs. How much do you want to spend?

julians
    Free Member

May I suggest Raceface Atlas pedals? exceptionally grippy, probably the grippiest I have tried, and I’ve tried the following:-

– wellgo Mg1
    – Superstar delta evo mag ti
    – superstar nano
    – nukeproof electron

chiefgrooveguru

I have Vaults on both bikes and like them a lot. I just pre-ordered these things though:

http://pedalinginnovations.com/

Despite the hilariously American hyperbole I think they could be something special…

tomhoward

Thought about race face atlas’s (pretty grippy) or burgtec penthouse’s (mega grippy)?

tomhoward

Double post

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

VP Harrier’s are great for me. Widest platform I’ve found, think and light!

WhatafackinLiberty
    Free Member

These:

Scarab

Wide and concave platform, multiple pin positions, adjustable pin height etc.

I have been running these for a while and they are up there with the Vaults, if not better.

daver27
    Free Member

Vaults are utterly terrible, bearings fall apart at the mere mention of a ride, usually the first ride in my experience, simply cannot work out why so many people love them.

Loving my Boomslangs, hands down the best pedal i’ve ever used, almost too grippy and the only pedal i’ve ever had that refuses to develop any play. which is nice.

honourablegeorge

daver27 – Member
    Vaults are utterly terrible, bearings fall apart at the mere mention of a ride, usually the first ride in my experience, simply cannot work out why so many people love them.

Got three sets of Vaults or varying ages from 2-4 years. None of them have ever had a bearing replaced. Have given the oldest set a strip, clean and regrease hen they developed a bit of play, but that’s it.

sofaboy73
    Free Member

another vote for vaults here. don’t know if there have been QC issues in the past to account for other people reliability issues, however had mine for getting on for 5 years and all i’ve had to do is replace one of the DU bushings as it had worn. other than that i give them no maintenance, regularly slam them into rocks and ride them in the grinding paste mud of the peak district and they’ve been great. i find them the most comfortable pedal i’ve used, love the big platform and with a pair of five tens the grip is exceptional. will deff being buying some more if the current ones ever die

jairaj

I’m really happy with my Spank Ozzy pedals. Almost the same as the Spike pedals but machined a bit more to reduce the weight further still.

chiefgrooveguru

I did have a bearing seize and fall apart on one of mine. Shocking considering it had had a mere three years of almost daily use in all weathers…

rickon
    Free Member

I’ve got…

DMR Vault
    Spank Oozy
    Specialized Boomslang
    Hope F20
    Xpedo Spry
    Nukeproof Electon and Proton

So, can talk with some breadth 🙂

The Hope f20 are by far the most reliable, and durable. The Vaults are the grippiest and largest. The Boomslang have the best bearing configuration, so should be actually more durable than the Hopes, they’re small though, so bigger than a size 9 and you’ll find them a bit small.

The Boomslang and the Oozy have a smaller Q factor, so feel more efficient to pedal. The Oozy is larger though, so easier to stomp on

The Spanky Oozy are very big, and very grippy, but they don’t seem to last very long as I’ve had mine serviced three times in a few months.

Only the Boomslang and Vaults are concave. And once you go concave, its really hard to do back to a fully flat pedal.

So far, my favourite pedals would, if they all lasted forver.. Would be..

1. Boomslang
    2. DMR Vault
    3. Spank Oozy
    4. Hope F20
    5. Nukeproof

If I did take the longevity into account the Oozy would go to the bottom.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Drivel.

rickon
    Free Member

I agree. My Vaults have been good bearing wise. And I’ve destroyed two other pedals bearings in a few rides before.

tmb467
    Free Member

Another vote for Burgtec and my experience with vaults was good too before my bike got twokked

tmb467
    Free Member

And those catalysts look interesting. The American dude is quite knowledgeable around movement on the bike and I’d be interested in a second opinion

tor5
    Free Member

Anyone mentioned a chromag scarab yet? Super grippy with my 5:10s and size 12 plates

razorjack
    Free Member

also i though about Race Face Atlas, they look good and big bearing increases durability ? (price about 100gbp – so the same as boomslang)

what about Boomslang strange behaviour/play ? i found some complains about that (some forum, can’t find it now)

colournoise

Bang for buck? Nanos or one of the many variants thereof.

razorjack
    Free Member
    Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I have Nano’s on the 29er FS and Vaults on the 26er FS – The Vaults grip ever so slightly better and are comfier as I can feel the central spindle on the nano’s.

Not a huge amount in it though, but if I only had one bike, it’d be the Vaults on there.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘AM/enduro platforms ? (F20, Boomslang, Vault ? )’ is closed to new replies.