• This topic has 208 replies, 25 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 209 total)
  • Ambulance
  • TomB

In my trust, cardiac arrests get 3 resources, so Ambulance plus 2 cars as minimum, 4 people are needed to perform advanced life support effectively. It is a bid demand on resource, but it’s very rare to get that level of response to a hoax (which thankfully are pretty unusual around here).

Drac

Not sure if you seen it Tom but the vial hoaxer rang in for a 15 year old hanging from a lamp post so they sent maximum resources.

hooli

Thanks for the info, that makes the shortages of ambulances at busy times even more worrying if several are needed for some cases.

Something I have often wondered, how often do the call operators have to tell people to get in the car or call a taxi?

We obviously don’t see everything on telly but there have been a few cases where (in my opinion) the person really didn’t need an ambulance and could have got themselves down to A&E relatively easily.

Drac

Something I have often wondered, how often do the call operators have to tell people to get in the car or call a taxi?

That can sometimes happen with 111 calls, with 999 calls involves a clinician being made aware of the call. Figues I’m not sure to give you an accurate idea as that involves accessing my work email and I’m on holiday.

When the crew arrive they can also look at referring to them to use their own transport or taxi.

There is some new ambulance response standards starting at the end of next month which may help relieve some of the pressure.

hooli

Cheers Drac. Don’t worry about figures, was just curios.

TomB

We are moving more and more to “hear and treat” where no physical resources are sent, when appropriate for people to self care, see gp, or make their own way to hospital. Our clinicians also have a range of options which would include self care, primary care referral, asking folks to transport themselves, or booking a contract taxi for them.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Genuine question following last nights episode….would it not be more cost effective to employ some non-clinical staff who drive around in a van to assist the crews?
    I’ve been watching this series avidly and a recurring theme seems to be multiple crews and ambulances called to incidents to assist with the manhandling of patients in awkward situations or the transport of non emergency patients.

Drac

We have exactly that a clinician and an assistant, it’s extremely rare that we’d have a dual paramedic crew. I not sure why they have 2 qualified staff on.

We also have crews with none clinical staff on for those cases you describe PP and to help transport those that need no interventions.

edlong
    Free Member

What impressed (and to an extent surprised) me last night was how caring and supportive everyone was for the “frequent fliers” – I would have expected more exasperation, or even anger.

There was a bit of me that wondered how much that might have been influenced by the presence of a film crew, but it seemed as though what we saw was the norm, given the reactions of the “patients”.

perchypanther
    Free Member

I was thinking more about when one crew attends and they can’t lift or move a patient like the lady with hoist or the guy a couple of weeks back with the dislocated knee and the narrow staircase.
    They then summon another fully equipped ambulance with two more trained medics when what they really need are a pair of burly porters.
    A secondary support crew who assist with the logistical problems rather than the clinical problems.

Drac

Sorry PP I edited my post as I missed that bit.

Edlong as a general rule staff are very understanding and caring but at times they can become frustrated and it can come out as anger.

franksinatra

So Leon was sectioned then assessed as having capacity. Should it therefore not follow that he also has the capacity to understand that he will not get a blue light response to his frequent calls, even if there is a risk that one day he has a genuine medical emergency that is missed?

Drac

Yes, that can happen but it is very lengthy and slow process that can lead to a court order even jail.

v8ninety

…understand that he will not get a blue light response to his frequent calls, even if there is a risk that one day he has a genuine medical emergency that is missed?

Kinda what happens already, as you can see, WMAS held onto his call for hours and eventually only sent a resource when police were available. The problem is;

if there is a risk that one day he has a genuine medical emergency that is missed?

Who owns that risk? A common sense approach would suggest he does, but legally; if an ambulance service were to refuse to attend and serious harm or death cane about as a result, I’m pretty sure they’d be answering some difficult questions.

v8ninety

I was thinking more about when one crew attends and they can’t lift or move a patient like the lady with hoist or the guy a couple of weeks back with the dislocated knee and the narrow staircase.
    They then summon another fully equipped ambulance with two more trained medics when what they really need are a pair of burly porters.
    A secondary support crew who assist with the logistical problems rather than the clinical problems.

This kind of thing has been tried, and it doesn’t work out as cost effective. You’ve still got to equip staff and fuel the vehicle, the only saving is the (slightly; we’re hardly expensive) lower cost of wages for non clinicians. You then have to keep them utilised for the whole shift. The very specific jobs that they would be useful for come in all over the region, at any time, sometimes four or more at once, sometimes none for hours, sometimes hours of travelling time between them. You would have clinical staff waiting far ages for the humperdumpers to arrive. A double crewed paramedic ambulance is the most versatile resource; it can go to any job, convey anything, and if one can’t do it, two almost certainly can. And there’s lots of them. Better to equip them to manage (pretty much) anything.

Drac

You’re joking right?

It’s almost half the cost for an ECA to a Paramedic, only takes 12 weeks to train an ECA add to that using your current Paramedic staffing being able to cover twice as many vehicles. It’s a huge cost reduction.

v8ninety

It can be done.

It certainly can, and trust me, there is work ongoing. However, I certainly don’t want to be the one up in front of a clever barrister answering the question; <cynical hat> “So, Mr V8ninety, just why DID you refuse to help my black, disabled, socially isolated and so obviously at risk client when he was self evidently crying out for help?” </cynical hat>

v8ninety

You’re joking right?

I’m not arguing against skill mix, I’m pointing out that non clinical lifting crews don’t work. (The ECA thing is a separate issue)

WMAS don’t routinely put out lots of double paramedics. Y’know, telly n’stuff.

bruneep

Or just call out the fire service because if you believe the spin we’re sat about doing nothing, we’ll roll up with no training in handling patients and get stuck in.

The powers that be now want us to go out and prop up old buddies that have fallen over without any medical training or medical equipment should it be required. They view that they have just fallen over and can’t get back on their own two feet, no medical condition has caused this…….

v8ninety

Not in my patch thanks, Bruneep, you keep your hose pipes and we’ll keep our bandages. 😉 We’re managing just fine. Plus there’s only a few of you compared to us; you’d barely make a scratch on our work load! 😛

Drac

I’m not arguing against skill mix, I’m pointing out that non clinical lifting crews don’t work. (The ECA thing is a separate issue)

Ah right I got confused when you were talking abut double paramedic crews being beneficial but they do for similar reason the cost are far less and not every patient requires a Paramedic to transport them to hospital.

Falls aren’t dealt with by your buddies in our area Bruneep as that goes against the care bundles for falls.

v8ninety

Ah right I got confused when you were talking abut double paramedic crews being beneficial

Ah, I see. By ‘double crewed paramedic ambulance’, I meant a DCA with a para on, not two paras. Double para crews are an expensive luxury, but good for morale (and telly, apparently). We Don’t have ECAs in WMAS any more. Just student Paras/techs.

Drac

Oh! I did wonder about the TV thing.

Interesting about the ECAs.

bruneep

that goes against the care bundles for falls

What is this? Looking for sticks to hit the management with.

Drac

Last one tonight.

NZCol

Watching now, massive respect as always.

Drac

That was some episode. Poor Jo was seriously effected by that job.

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

Yep, truly moving stuff. Utmost respect.

Drac

Well last night’s was was brilliant but hugely emopitnal, I found it extremely tough to watch as it reminded me of a recent event that happened to me. Fantastic TV though simply showing just how tough it is mentally for staff to the job they do.

bentandbroken

I also found it a very tough watch (it felt overly voyeuristic, I hope/assume that permission to broadcast was sought/given after the events, and not just before).

lowey

Heros you lot, heros.

Drac

I hope/assume that permission to broadcast was sought/given after the events, and not just before

It’s both I’ve had to give permission a few times.

houndlegs
    Free Member

Drac, are you in this series then?

Drac

No, it’s a different service I may pop up on another TV programme though.

perchypanther
    Free Member

No, it’s a different service I may pop up on another TV programme though

Funspongebob Squarepants? 😉

houndlegs
    Free Member

Well, TV or not, a big thanks to all of you, you do an amazing thing.

Drac

Funspongebob Squarepants? 😉

😂👍🏼

Cheers Houndlegs.

Jamie
    Free Member

I do hope those dogs were ok in the end.

v8ninety

I’ve got to admit, the show makes me cringe slightly.  I’m always amazed that they manage to obtain consent from the patients involved; feels like a huge invasion of privacy.

I’m a little uncomfortable with the degree to which the staff allow their souls to be bared too; I know some regret their portrayal in the last series. Their choice I suppose.

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 209 total)

The topic ‘Ambulance’ is closed to new replies.