• This topic has 15 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by D0NK.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Ambulance chasing…
  • z1ppy

Had an accident over a year ago (non-fault) @ lowish speed… didn’t have any whiplash or other ‘serious’ injures, so ignored all the offers of personal injury at the time.
    Had a call Monday about a “complaint” to do with the accident, this confused me and I got sucked into the spiel.. other party had claimed for injuries, I could still claim even though I only suffered minor bruising/discomfort & get a couple of grand out of it.

I’m skint and want a new bike… it sounded good

So documents come though, they want 25% (I had asked previously), but also a £250 insurance cover for the claim (suddenly saying whiplash.. even though I specified none), which will cover itself and cancel out!?! At this point I’ve come back to my senses and am wondering, wtf am I doing… and have stepped away

So is it just complete dodginess (large Solicitors who’ve been in the news for irregularities but not ambulance chasing), as I have some friends who had a recent serious “rear ender” accident and got a couple of grand each but for good reason (major discomfort and treatment)… I can’t see that any payout would be for more than say (guess) £500, which with the insurance policy (I don’t believe it will cancel out..) would net me less than 25% (£100ish). Basically it seems the solicitors are doing self-funding work?

DrP

What was it people use to do when they wanted to buy stuff but didn’t have enough money…. Hmm…..

Follow your conscience.. Leave it..

DrP

matt_outandabout

The culture of this claiming bothers me.
    I have no problem, if you were out of pocket (bust bike, time off work etc) in making that claim.
    I do have an issue with seeing injury as opportunity to gain.
    As Dr.P says, follow your conscience.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    z1ppy

yeah I am of that opinion, but can see how ppl get sucked in.. Especially as the first call (who then transfered me to the solicitors) was talking about a complaint with the accident & the “at fault party” having claimed compensation

DezB
    Free Member

It was nothing to do with your accident – the scumbags fish for people by phoning round randomly. Just happened to get a “hit” with you.

GrahamS

As Dr.P says, follow your conscience.

Something, something, something, dark side, something, something.

z1ppy

the scumbags fish for people by phone round randomly

No they knew I’d had an accident, and the car I’d been in, but the solicitors had no details of the accident at all. Initally talk of claiming from a “fund” for accident victims not the insurance… Now I’m getting txt’s saying I’m missing out on £4K(!) if I don’t go ahead

philbert31
    Free Member

I absolutely despise these companies, someone crashed into me 3 years ago and I still get around 3 calls a week off them, one in particular repeatedly rings even though I tell them each time that im not interested,

Sui
    Free Member

they are chancing it. I still get the chasers after my car was written off**

**I had no injury as I was sat in the back garden drinking a beer whilst a lorry smashed into it as it was parked on the road…

conscience boy….

D0NK

It was nothing to do with your accident – the scumbags fish for people by phoning round randomly. Just happened to get a “hit” with you.

got a flurry of them after being knocked off my bike and someone hit our parked car, within a short space of time. Pretty sure your/their insurance company pass (sell) on your details.

But yeah probably a few fishing trips aswell.

convert

We had an accident 3 years ago and had the usual ambulance chaser phone calls. One was particularly insistent telling me that the claim would be against the other parties insurance, would not affect our insurance in the future and it was ‘our right’. Having nothing better to do I let him ramble on until he got to the part where he wanted the details of the of the other party. When I told him it was a ‘Mr Roe Deer, address Dava Moor, nr Grandtown on Spey’ I don’t think he saw the funny side of it – called me a cock – he might be right!

What I don’t understand is where he got our details from – the only people who knew about the accident was us, our insurer and the rather sad looking deer. The insurers wouldn’t go passing on details when they were the only possible people to have to pay out surely?

edlong
    Free Member

I get the “£4K” texts from time to time and have never had any sort of accident…

warton
    Free Member

The insurers wouldn’t go passing on details when they were the only possible people to have to pay out surely?

they get paid for details off their database, i doubt they filter what they sell

mrblobby
    Free Member

Got rear ended a couple of years ago. When I called the insurance company an hour or so after the incident they asked if I was injured. Assumed this was so they could sort out some medical assistance but when I said no they said if I was they’d put me in touch with a solicitor!

The insurers wouldn’t go passing on details when they were the only possible people to have to pay out surely?

It is all pretty sickening. The solicitors and the insurers are all in it together. The insurers love it as they get paid for the referrals and just put up our premiums to cover the payouts.

binners

What I don’t understand is where he got our details from – the only people who knew about the accident was us, our insurer and the rather sad looking deer.

The admin/call centre staff at the insurers will all be on minimum wage. Which doesn’t allow for much of a life. So when some dodgy solicitors firm says they’ll pay for info about potential claims, the temptation is high. You can’t really blame ’em

Some call centres will not allow their staff to have their phones on them at work any more, What happens is they get all someones information up on screen, then photograph the screen then send it as a picture message to mr dodgy solicitor. Then you get a phone call…

D0NK

from 2011 sounds like it was banned last year tho. So dodgy stuff like binners said i guess

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Ambulance chasing…’ is closed to new replies.