Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Ambleside walking this weekend, route recommendations please
  • kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

Going with the bread knife tomoz for a few days walking, going to the horseshoe path route but not sure what else.

Any links to good routes I can print off,we are both ft and healthy so distance and severity not an issue.

Cheers KKF.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

How far are you prepared to drive?

I assume horseshoe is the Fairfield one. Cracking walk, easy from A’side (although worth parking at Rothay Bridge and take back route up Low Pike to save road walk from Rydal at the end when legs will be tired from Nab Scar.

Bad weather – hard to beat good old Loughrigg for low level walk.

Wetherlam Horseshoe and/or link to Coniston Fells is also good area when higher central fells are misty. I love Wetherlam from Tilberthwaite and then descend obvious ridge towards the top of Tilberthwaite Gyll. There is no path on the ridge but obvious route with little bits of scrambling. On a misty day, it can feel quite spectacular especially as you are unlikely to see anyone else on it. Descen ridge to Consiton and turn on faint path just after little tarn.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Tarn Hows and then a coffee at Chesters. You’ll need to make sure you’re properly equipped though.

djglover
    Free Member

Lots of options in/from Langdale if you are energetic
    Langdale Pikes
    Scafell Pike
    Crinkle Crags, Bowfell, PikeoBlisco
    I’ve even done great gable from there

But Fairfield is the most sane option

mrsmouse
    Free Member

Wansfell Pike – walk up past the falls, up and over Wansfell, down into Troutbeck and back via Skelghyll woods. Done that a few times, very pleasant.

kevj
    Free Member

Try fitting a bigger walk around this;

Cathedral Cavern – Langdale

Last time I was there we had a picnick at the other side of the long adit watching Buzzards. Ace.

OrmanCheep
    Free Member

Jack’s Rake is a cheeky little scramble, if you are that way inclined.

djglover
    Free Member

Jacks rake…

I have done it, there have been a couple of deaths up there recently…

bajsyckel

The langdales offer a lot of easy scrambling if you like walking a bit more interesting than one foot in front of the other. You can link a few straightforward routes on Pike of Stickle, Harrison Stickle, Pavey Ark (etc) into a great little afternoon/ morning wander. All the obvious routes you can find with a quick google, starting at the New Dungeon Ghyll. Also one that is often good at this time of year – Pinnacle Ridge on St Sunday Crag, you can link this into a horseshoe of Fairfield to make it a bit more interesting. If these are icy then you’d need to have your wits about you but otherwise they are good fun.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Must sear h out Cathedral Cavern. Thanks for that link.

Personally, I think Pinnacle Ridge is at the top end of scrambling but I am biased as almost lost a mate who fell off it. Shook us both up badly.

fubar
    Free Member

Tarn Hows and then a coffee at Chesters. You’ll need to make sure you’re properly equipped though.

…then on to the Brittania at Elterwater, then Wainwrights at Chapel Stile….the really adventurous could make for Dungeon Ghyll

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

Cheers Chaps,

Just setting off in 5 mins. Defo doing Fairfield, liked it the first time and forgot about Pavey Ark, will do that again and see about some other walks when Im up there. 😀

martinhutch

Don’t forget plenty of change if you’re parking in Langdale. ££££!

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Good luck, its raining. Think its meant to clear out tomorrow.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Flowerpower’s taking me to Keswick this weekend…is that nearby?

poolman
    Free Member

Langdale parking – there’s a layby c 100 meters further on from the NT car park. Park for free there.

voodoo_chile

Old dungeon ghyll take cumbria way to rossett ghyll over to esk haus over to scafell and down into wasdale

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Ambleside walking this weekend, route recommendations please’ is closed to new replies.