Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Ambergate area last night…..
  • So, who was out?

Must be someone off here – I’ve never seen so many riders out on a Thursday night.

Ambergate, Crich Chase and Shining Cliff

atkinsar
    Free Member

Hi, first post on here. My mum lives in Crich and despite visiting 100’s of times, I’ve not once thought of bringing my bike and riding some local trails. Are there any good rides starting out of Crich in the 12-20 mile category? Hoping to get out maybe Sunday morning but truth be told I’m absolutely useless at navigation, any local knowledge would be appreciated.

iain1775
    Free Member

Oh yes atkinsar, there is!
    Email me and I can send you a bit of a map
    I’m busy Sunday or I would head up there myself
    Or this thread has some good info – http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/belperderbyshire-riders-crichton-chase-help-please

(I wasn’t out Thursday, considered it but went around Annesley and Moorgreen instead)

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    fr0sty125
    Free Member

Did not go last night but I was there on Saturday and only saw 3 riders despite doing Black Rocks, Chrich chase and Shining Cliff Woods.

atkinsar
    Free Member

Cheers iain1775, not sure how to email you though (as in get your email address, not send an email). Checked out the link, looks like there’s some decent stuff on my mum’s doorstep, can’t believe I’ve never thought of riding it before.

I may well give this navigation lark a go Sunday am then, or you know, if any of you locals are going out and don’t mind a tag-a-long, promise I’ll keep up and not be an idiot!

reedspeed
    Free Member

Ditto !,I’m not too far from there & go to the Tram museum with the nipper,but never rode round there !..

climbingkev
    Free Member

Not last night, opted for the Chesterfield Road jumps instead……beautifully groomed and only myself and the neighbour there. Nice to know there’s a good scene going on, will have to get back there!

atkinsar
    Free Member

Right then, I’ve spent some time looking at maps and reckon I can get into the woods pretty easily from Chadwick lane. How about after that, is it a case of riding back up towards the reservoir then finding a way back down, or is it the other way around? Are there many footpaths to avoid? Thanks for the help guys and sorry for all the questions, if you ever find yourselves in Cheltenham feel free to ask me as many annoying questions as you like about the local trails.

anthonyb
    Free Member

Couple of my mates rode crich last night, not sure if they headed over to blackrock as well, i sadly could’nt go as i was at the vets with my hound.
    Think 2 or 3 of them were riding, would have been on a stanton slackline, Ti 456 and a banshee if you spotted them. They said it was a great evening and the trails were riding really well.
    Hope to get up there one night next week..

Was up Black Rocks yesterday

Absolutely love it up there – trails to rival the Dark Peak

climbingkev
    Free Member

Ah, my local is Black Rocks, some hidden gems around there, plus the Brown Trousers descent other side of the canal. It’s in superb nick at the moment too.

reedspeed
    Free Member

Can someone shoot me a route on email !,please ta ..

alanl
    Free Member

Derwent Valley ATC go out every Tuesday night in the area. Do a google search and see their site.

Bumped into DVATC at our local in Darley Dale on one of their Tues organised rides tonight – they’d done pretty much the same loop as me and my mate. A pretty friendly bunch and saw a few faces I knew from a couple of years ago.

Busy night – some of Matlock Cycling Club were there on their own ride too!

ssboggy

Waves to tafkastr , nice to see you last night, you’ll have to get out for a ride with us again. Also second the comments about Blackrocks, I was up there on Sunday morning

Waves back – yeah good to see you too. Will definitely make a Tuesday ride soon

timc
    Free Member

strangely my saturday night ended up discovering Ripley for the first time 🙂

ssboggy

I bet that was an adventure for you in Ripley on a Saturday night!

dvatcmark
    Free Member

DVATC….. I’ve heard of them before

dogg
    Free Member

Think I hav as well mark ; )

timc
    Free Member

ssboggy – Member
    I bet that was an adventure for you in Ripley on a Saturday night!

Its a far cry from Liverpool city centre thats for sure, had a good night in the ‘Regal Nightclub’ though 🙂

Lovely countryside you have down those ways

ssboggy

Ah The Regal, i’ve spent many a pissed up night in there in my youth 😛

alanl
    Free Member

DVATC….. I’ve heard of them before

Maybe you could get Stu A to send me a membership form again, as I lost the last one, and also put me back on the mailing list?
    I havent had any Club emails for nearly a year, and it was only when I did my accounts that I realised I hadnt paid this year.
    Ta
    alan at maydavid.co.uk

Riding Brown Trousers and Black Rocks tonight 😉

benman
    Free Member

Give us a wave if you see me. Red Superlight – Crich chase, Black rocks and Shining Cliff for me tonight 🙂

Crich chase is really overgrown. If going from the top take the mini dh course to the left. Will keep an eye out 😉

benman
    Free Member

Cheers for the headsup. I’ll be coming through Crich from bullbridge direction, and heading down the Belfast downhill. Wasn’t too bad last weekend.

I bet Brown T is a bit overgrown at the mo? I usually take the trail which traverses across the top this time of year.

Heard BT is good atm – will be following through to Bow Wood then up the incline.

Start from White Lion at Starkholmes, so we get the canal drop off near the end back at Cromford. A good opportunity to abuse anyone that bottles it – likewise the steps after the gully and over the road down to the canal after you come down from Black Rocks.

handybendyhendo
    Free Member

Ski Jump / BT is very over grown and you can hardly see where you are going!!

2 to 3 of us out too (assuming it is not lashing it down) – will be on green canyon / Stevens / Trek…..

benman
    Free Member

Saw lots of folk out last night

A note of warning for Crich Chase riders – the Belfast descent had a couple of large rocks pushed onto the trail (near the top). Also at the bottom of the trail where its narrow, someone had bent saplings across the trail, and also wedged sticks crossing the trail at shoulder height.

Good ride last night a bit blighted by snapped chains, punctures and folk opting not to bring lights!!!!!

(And me being late 😉 )

@ benman ^^^^ idiots – I’d love to catch em doing it!

al2000

There was a stickman active at Black Rocks a couple of years ago, but nothing for a while.

Not seen anything on Crich, but not good if someone is doing it. Which trail is Belfast? The nice one through the wall with the stream crossings?

benman
    Free Member

Heading in from Chadwick Nick, over the stile then left. As you enter the woods, Belfast drops down steeply to the right.

ssboggy

Belfast drops down steeply to the right.

Through a Belfast sink, funnily enough! 😀

russianbob
    Free Member

Used to ride in Shining Cliff and on Crich Chase 25 years ago!!! Folks still live in Nether Heage and whilst there the other weekend we took the dog for a walk through Shining Cliff up to Betty Kenny’s tree and back along the top to the old Youth Hostel.

The amount of trails in the is astonishing, a fair bit of litter too, not a lot of effort been put into keeping things low key. That said, I plan on taking my bike next time we visit. How is the Chase in comparison?

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Ambergate area last night…..’ is closed to new replies.