• This topic has 15 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by skids.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Amazon prime…what is it?? What do I need
  • cheekyget
    Free Member

I’m confused ???
    Is Amazon prime a delivery service or a to channel?.or both??
    If I have a smart tv do I still need add ons to watch it
    And is it all worth it??
    Thanks…

dooosuk
    Free Member

It’s a way of alleveating you of £79/yr

jimdubleyou

I’m confused ???

It’s pretty simple really

Is Amazon prime a delivery service or a to channel?.or both??

Both. Some stuff on amazon is prime eligible, which means you get free/quick delivery. There is also a TV / boxset service, but not everything is “free”.

If I have a smart tv do I still need add ons to watch it

Probably not, my smart TV has an Amazon App.

And is it all worth it??

Depends, for the TV probably not. For the delivery (for me) yes.

stevemuzzy
    Free Member

I have it and love it. Quick delivery from amazon.(a package on a sunday is a great thing) some actually decent free tv and films to download and a free music service like spotify for less than 2 bucks per week.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Both

Amazon Prime is a bundle service – members get free next day delivery on purchases, access to special deals sometimes and Amazon Instant Video – this used to be called LoveFilm Instant Video and it was crap.

You have to pay annual for it – it’s about £80.

Amazon Instant Video is like Netflix – a libury of films and TV series you can stream via the web – you need some way of accessing it – Smart TV, PC/Laptop or via an App on a Games Console, Tablet/Smart phone or one of the new plug-in TV devices (Cromecast, Apple TV, Firestick).

Like Netflix there’s a lot of crap on their – old films, but not great ones, piles of straight to DVD shite and the odd good film – quantity over quality.

However Netflix and Amazon are locked in a battle for viewers using exclusive content, either they buy-in or make themselves – Netflix is way ahead, they have Breaking Bad, Better Call Saul, Orange is the new Black, Narcos, House of Cards etc – very good quality, well cast and well made TV series.

Amazon are fighting back though, they bought up Fear the Walking Dead, but sadly for them it’s not gained many fans, not nearly as much as Walking Dead.

Their big one though is their new Top Gear type thing with Jeremy Clarkson and the other two, Netflix say they paid too much and it won’t work – but they need to build an audience.

It’s perhaps not a great time to be a TV addict in the UK, the best stuff is all going to pay TV and they’re fighting for as much exclusive stuff at possible – even BT is in on the act, so if you want to watch say, the F1 in full, Moto GP, Better Call Saul and the new Top Gear thing they’re all on different networks, you can buy them all but it’ll cost you well over £100 a month.

mrsfry
    Free Member

I’ve been with Amazon Prime for maybe eight years, it was before the price went up. I have only paid the Prime charge once in all that time (and it would be impolite to point out there mistake).

Prime offers music, video, shopping and next day delivery (which is far to long). The videos are 99p films in my opinion and the music is not my cup of tea. Amazon is also owner of Audible books (who get most of my money) and they also own Kindle (which gets none of my money)

I wouldn’t pay the price that they are asking for membership as i only use it to shop, and even that is not worth the asking price, but since i get Prime for free, i might as well shop and get the next day delivery.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Music, TV, films, photo storage and next day delivery.

Bulb goes Saturday afternoon. A couple of minutes later the replacement is on the way and arrives Sunday. It’s like magic. Particularly when you live miles from anywhere on a Welsh mountainside.

rhid

I have amazon prime TV only (no free delivery on stuff). Its about £6 per month. I get it via a Amazon Fire Stick. I actually prefer it to Netflix, not because of content, but I hate the Netflix App. Its awful. Amazon Prime is far easier to navigate and shows you new stuff. Netflix makes you look for things.

jimdubleyou

I have amazon prime TV only (no free delivery on stuff). Its about £6 per month.

Amazon Prime is c£80 a year.

£6 a month is £72 a year.

You are saving £8 a year to pay charges on postage from Amazon?

rhid

Yeah, something like that. Up until very recently you had to pay the £80 upfront so chose not to and paid the £6 per month for the film bit. I’m not upset by it.

wordnumb
    Free Member

He is also leader of the Transformers and enemy of Decepticons everywhere.

molgrips
    Free Member

I treat it as a TV service. We have that and Netflix together, costs us what, £12/mo, and we watch far more than we ever did on Sky for £60.

There are plenty of good films, just so many modern blockbusters. Lots of blockbuster TV though. Often you have the older series of something for free, but the latest one you have to pay for. The big ticket ones are generally £18, comparable to a box set if you bought those in the old days, but sometimes it’s only £8 and that’s good value for 16 hours of telly.

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

It is billed as a free delivery service, but almost always you can get things far cheaper from non prime suppliers via Amazon. The music thing could become interesting. I exhausted the prime video stuff I wanted rather quickly. For than Netflix or Now TV are better.

molgrips
    Free Member

Not always.

bensales
    Free Member

It is billed as a free delivery service, but almost always you can get things far cheaper from non prime suppliers via Amazon.

It’s not just about the delivery cost but also the speed. As another poster mentioned, always next day even on a Sunday is great. Or in my case, because I live near Birmingham, I can order some stuff for delivery within the next two hours. That’s saved me going to B&Q a few times on a Saturday which is always a bonus.

skids
    Free Member

I had it before they had streaming so it was just next day delivery. Now you get the video streaming thing you can use on games consoles, set top boxes, tablets etc. Now they have the music streaming too

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Amazon prime…what is it?? What do I need’ is closed to new replies.