Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Amazon Kindle
  • pault41
    Free Member

WOW what an incredible little device.

A friend of ours got one first ,my view was great idea,her view “Your just into it cause it’s a gadget”
    A fortnight later ,she wanted one ,i agreed cause stops books pileing up in every spare space,now she can’t put it down .

A plus is also some of the books are really saucey to say the least,so goodnights follow too. 😉

What anybody elses experience of this electronic book.

khani
    Free Member

Got one for the mrs a few weeks ago, she loves it, great for trips away without taking a load of books

molgrips
    Free Member

It’s a brilliant thing, but the reason it’s better than the others is that the Amazon system is also brilliant.

pault41
    Free Member

Also impressed by the fact that you get your money back in free books up to £100 quids worth. So really the device only costs a few Quid .

SkillWill
    Free Member

Agreed, have one and it’s excellent.

Read an article recently predicting they would be free by the end of this year. Makes sense for Amazon to give them away, possibly a “sign up for one book a month and get a free Kindle” type scheme, or given that they are so tied in to Amazon – just give them away for free.

Pigface
    Free Member

A bit random but does anyone know if you can get books in Swedish for the Kindle?

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

very happy with mine. had it since january, read 10 books, charged it once.
    not bothered with 3G and don’t use wifi – i’ve a computer if i want to surf the internet.
    the amazon 1 click thingy is good too
    had a discussion with my housemates who didn’t like the lack of page numbers, thinking having a % is weird. i quite like it – makes no odds to me.

Gooner
    Free Member

i bought one in january and its great. I am with Hungry Monkey re: the 3G wifi. Mine has this but i don’t use it and wouldn’t recommend it unless you specifically want it.

However I agree that page numbers would be good

molgrips
    Free Member

A bit random but does anyone know if you can get books in Swedish for the Kindle?

Go onto the kindle store on your computer and look.

I got the 3G version – I do also have a computer, but having access to wikipedia wherever you are in the world makes it like a Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy. Which is beyond awesome.

samuri
    Free Member

Well I’m extremely disappointed after reading the OP. I got one at Christmas and my sex life hasn’t improved at all!

uplink
    Free Member

if you can get them in other ebook formats, calibre will covert them for you
    Calibre is a great little app for all ebook readers TBH

http://calibre-ebook.com/

Tracker1972
    Free Member

Bought my wife one for christmas and it is brilliant, easy to add books, free or otherwise, a fantastic screen (that is the best bit for me to be honest, it is just unlike any other screen I have used, ideal for a “book”) and enormous battery life.
    On the page numbers thing, if you change the font size all the page numbers would change, go from your laptop to the Kindle and the page numbers would be different so yes, it gives you a %age but it also gives you ermmm, is it a location number? Thousands in every book and each page is a range of numbers, but that is an absolute rather than approximation like the %age.
    If you only ever use the Kindle and don’t change the font size that is all irrelevant though, but it doesn’t lose your place so is it that important?

uplink
    Free Member

but it also gives you ermmm, is it a location number?

The location number seems to have gone with the latest software update

SkillWill
    Free Member

You can still see it if you press Menu or something, but yes it defaults to % now. I had just started to get a sense of scale with ‘locations’!

uplink
    Free Member

I had just started to get a sense of scale with ‘locations’!

Did you? – I thought it was just a random number generator 🙂

5thElefant
    Free Member

Bought the wife one for her birthday.

The daily email with the bill for her latest book purchase suggests she likes it. It’s going to be an expensive present…

MrsTricky
    Free Member

I like being able to store pdf files on it too – have all my current Open Uni books on it, plus when I’m travelling I store a pdf with relevant routes/street maps.

I’ve got the version with 3g – there’s a basic internet function that can be quite handy if you need to look something up when you’re out and about.

MrsT

Gee-Jay
    Free Member

love mine, lots of books on it already and very easy to add more.

Oddly my sex life hasn’t improved either infact its possibly got worse as she laughs at me in bed more since getting it – something to do with the head torch while reading it in the early hours I think

STATO
    Free Member

Also impressed by the fact that you get your money back in free books up to £100 quids worth. So really the device only costs a few Quid .

Have you any info on this, not mentioned on the Amazon site. Ta.

Also, for those who want page number, just read that Amazon have added page numbers (that match the print versions of the books)

“We’ve added real page numbers that correspond to print editions so you can easily reference and cite passages”

uplink
    Free Member

Have you any info on this, not mentioned on the Amazon site. Ta.

I think he means the – out of copyright – stuff that’s available

STATO
    Free Member

Ok thanks, i thought as much. I actually have most of those (the ones i like anyway) downloaded on Kindle account for my Mac, you dont NEED a Kindle-device to access those, just an account 😀

avdave2

makes it like a Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy. Which is beyond awesome.

That’s all well and good but it means you’ve got to carry a towel everywhere you go which takes up more room than all those books you’ve ditched.

pault41
    Free Member

Well I’m extremely disappointed after reading the OP. I got one at Christmas and my sex life hasn’t improved at all!

Must be the choice of books.

Have you any info on this, not mentioned on the Amazon site. Ta

On the kindle books site lots of zero cost books you can get up to 100 of them

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

OOO sounds good I want one too! Birthday soon .. [shouts] “mr MC” …. 😉

5thElefant
    Free Member

Oddly my sex life hasn’t improved either infact its possibly got worse as she laughs at me in bed more since getting it – something to do with the head torch

If she laughs when you come to bed with a head torch you’re doing it wrong.

ourmaninthenorth

Beds are for two things. Reading is not one of them.

Gee-Jay
    Free Member

The down side of a kindle is I dont want to read it in the bath, I am not worried that if I drop it I will die a horrible death due to the electricery in it but do wonder how long it will keep working with lots of water vapour getting into it ….

So next most comfortable place is bed

cxi
    Free Member

Also impressed by the fact that you get your money back in free books up to £100 quids worth. So really the device only costs a few Quid.

I’ve been thinking about getting one of these for the summer holidays – will save a load of baggage space.

Can’t see anything on Amazon.co.uk about getting £100 of books FOC though…

Cougar

it means you’ve got to carry a towel everywhere you go

No, you just need to know where it is.

uplink
    Free Member

You don’t AFAIK, there’s a big list of stuff that’s free though
    TBH, just like films & music – all books are all available free if you don’t mind where they come from

STATO
    Free Member

You dont get £100 worth of books free.

Its just the normal free books you get with a Kindle account (ie. classics) that you can read on any device, PC, iPhone, Kindle e-book reader, iPad etc.

simon_g

New software update does page numbers apparently – not tried it yet.

Love mine to bits. Bought it before a 4-month RTW trip, read dozens of books on it, internet worked just about everywhere too. Getting a newspaper sub via Kindle on a trip like that kept me sane without trying to track down somewhere that stocked foreign newspapers. Having a conversation with a stranger on a train about a book, then being able to download it and start reading straight away was ace.

l45key
    Free Member

Has anyone installed books from torrent sites? Thinking about getting one in the next week.

bwoolymbr
    Free Member

Burts
    Free Member

Some techie Kindle questions – is the screen easy to read in strong sunlight or with a bright light nearby? Can you control the brightness/contrast etc?

My mum is having some eyesight problems which are alleviated by avoiding bright light and wearing sunglasses. Even reading a normal white page causes her discomfort after a while, so it was suggested that she try a Kindle and turn it down notch.

johnners
    Free Member

it was suggested that she try a Kindle and turn it down notch

They’re not backlit so you can’t dim them, you might be able to change the contrast on the print though.

molgrips
    Free Member

I don’t think you can actually. It’s like ink. However it is somewhat less contrasty than a paper book.

You could probably stick some kind of film over it though, that woudl work.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Amazon Kindle’ is closed to new replies.