Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Amazon instant video – good or bad?
  • mrblobby
    Free Member

Trying it on the Prime trial but getting lots of buffering during playback watching it on my Mac. Don’t think it’s my connection as I can stream HD stuff from other sites fine. Is it just a bit rubbish? Is Netflix better?

rone

Had both for a while now.

Netflix is the clear winner for technology. Great picture quality when on full throttle and I can’t remember the last time it broke up.

I have never got through an Amazon stream without several break-ups. And even when it’s singing it’s still not the PQ of Netflix.

jimjam
    Free Member

I’m on the Amazon Prime trial at the minute. Mac user. No issues with streaming HD at all. A slight buffering delay on films, maybe 30 seconds or so. No more. On a film with lots of dark scenes you might notice some compression on transitions from light to dak but it’s not intrusive.

I’ve just watched 2 seasons of vikings, which was pretty dark and it didn’t detract from my enjoyment. Brighter scenes looked great.

woody2000

I use the LG TV client, no issues with it at all. I happily stream at 1080p when available (fibre broadband, yay!)

mrblobby
    Free Member

Curious. Maybe just a blip. Have fibre broadband too. Tried watching the first episode of Sherlock last night and got a good 30 second blast of the spinny wheel every few minutes, got quite annoying.

hypnotoad
    Free Member

It seems to stream fine on the iPad, no buffering problems so far. Haven’t really used it that much tho, it seems to have a pretty limited selection IMO.

Not on fibre broadband, 7mb down, 1mb up, so probably slower than yours.

soundninjauk

No problems streaming it at home (fibre), mainly on a PS4. Great if you get stuck into one of the tv shows it has, not so hot for movies.

molgrips
    Free Member

I use both Netflix and Amazon on my PS3, via a 3MBps connection. Both are lag free and can’t really tell the picture quality apart.

Watched a fair few series on both, I like the fact that if you want you can purchase the next series on Amazon and it’s quite reasonable – doesn’t seem to be an option on Netflix.

iPlayer OTOH won’t play HD, but SD is pretty decent quality so I don’t really miss it.

jairaj

No problems with Amazon Instant Video for me at all. I find it is a very reliable service.

I normally use the Samsung TV app to watch it. The TV is a few years old now and many of the other apps don’t work well or have stopped working altogether. The Amazon app is the only one that works seamlessly. Using normal broadband internet getting roughly around 7 mbs download.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Works fine in Chrome on my Win 8 laptop. It has dropped the stream a couple of times in like a year maybe?

mrblobby
    Free Member

Maybe just a bad night for it as I just watched the second half of the program and it didn’t buffer once. Still left it on SD though. Guess their servers may be a bit busy on Sunday nights?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Amazon instant video – good or bad?’ is closed to new replies.