Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 65 total)
  • Amazon Forset to get internet…why cant the human race leave alone…
  • unfitgeezer
    Free Member

…what’s this need to infiltrate the world with the internet ? Towns and villages have survived 100s of years without the outside world interfering, why cant we leave alone whilst I know I have no right to say what happens and who should have what etc once you have so called westernised communities with pictures/movies of what they could have etc but will never really be able to afford how’s that right ? (maybe the locals will be handed back the forests and will be able to make money rather than these multi national companies)

Sometimes the world just has to know when to say stop…

This is my opinion I’m sure there are 100s of reasons as to why they should have it…it wont make me stop feeling sad and knowing in the long run that it will end in disaster…

Oh and I bet they’d get a better connection than some of you guys !

Had the same thought about the Masai Mara…personal experience on this one…

warton
    Free Member

maybe they want it?

Just a thought

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

or they are told they want it…just a thought also

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    warton
    Free Member

well, if they don’t want it, they won’t use it.

problem solved

cranberry
    Free Member

So, let me understand this: you came on the internet to complain that people that you don’t know and haven’t asked if they want it, will be able to get the internet ?

warton
    Free Member

so, whats your problem with it, seriously?

why should people be denied technology the rest of the world have, because of where they live?

woody2000

Monkey Skype’ing 🙂

kayak23

I thought this was going to be about plumbing… 🙄

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

un TAPPED potential ay it 🙂

yunki
    Free Member

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

Amazon Forset to get internet…why cant the human race leave alone…

ooops I obviously meant FOREST !

so, whats your problem with it, seriously?

up till 20-30years ago these villages had survived since the beginning time without the rest of the world now they cant survive without us…thats my problem

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Yes, it is.

lemonysam
    Free Member

It’s a good job you’re here to tell them what they should be doing or else this cultural imperialism could go unchecked.

warton
    Free Member

up till 20-30years ago these villages had survived since the beginning time without the rest of the world now they cant survive without us…thats my problem

well they can survive without us, maybe they’ve chosen that they want to to survive with us now (a couple of programmes I’ve watched certainly suggest that)

But, i think you’re confusing the remote tiny villages that still have little or no interaction with other humans, with larger villages and towns that have plenty of human interaction, and have plenty of ‘western’ gadgets.

I’m not sure Google would go to all this trouble and expense to float balloons over villages who have never seen another man before, where would they buy their iPad airs from?

jam-bo

where would they buy their iPad airs from?

amazon?

lemonysam
    Free Member

where would they buy their iPad airs from?
    amazon?

Gary_M
    Free Member

So let me get this right, you think its wrong for them to get the internet. What if people in the amazon think your town shouldn’t have internet?

We’ve all survived thousands of years without the internet, some a bit longer than others.

I presume to get the internet, they have electricity?

mactheknife

It seems i am the only one who gets what the OP is saying. Its just a shame that some parts of the world can’t be left alone to go about their business without the rest poking its nose in.

andytherocketeer

Visited some village in the forest in French Guiana over 10 years ago.
    They had a communal hut, with a satellite dish and solar panel outside. Inside was an old style Apple Mac.
    So they had intawebz back then.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

It seems i am the only one who gets what the OP is saying.

No, no. We do “get” it.

We just don’t think that that’s the point. 8)

Gary_M
    Free Member

Its just a shame that some parts of the world can’t be left alone to go about their business without the rest poking its nose in.

Who is it a shame for though? People that already have all they need and like to thing there’s still a bit of the ‘old world’ left.

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

mactheknife – Member

It seems i am the only one who gets what the OP is saying. Its just a shame that some parts of the world can’t be left alone to go about their business without the rest poking its nose in.

exactly this

molgrips
    Free Member

So wait. You want them to continue to live in an isolated and traditional way because YOU think it’s quaint and somehow worthy?

I know why you have had this thought but you have to understand what you are really saying. You, a complete outsider, are telling them how to live their lives because of what you, a rich westerner with an easy life, thinks is important.

I don’t think this is a case of happy innocent forest people being forced into the modern world against their will….

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Most likely a westernised hispanic ploy to introduce them to the outside world, with the intention of slowly enticing them away from their land.

Instead of the alternative method of forcing them out with guns and bulldozers then incurring the wrath of the international community/media.

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

rich westerner with an easy life, thinks is important.

you have the wrong person I’m afraid

So wait. You want them to continue to live in an isolated and traditional way because YOU think it’s quaint and somehow worthy?

okay let them have their internet and in 10 years they can all be even more poverty stricken when they’re queuing up to get their costa coffee in a paper cup which so happens to made with trees from their own forests…and why will they be poor cos they’ll be buying stuff they cant afford…

warton
    Free Member

But, google aren’t talking about the parts of the world that have no contact with anyone else, that would be TOTALLY pointless, as they wouldn’t have a scooby what a computer was and they wouldn’t be interested, and they wouldn’t have electricity..

There are towns in the amazon, that have electricity (by generators mainly), that have other ‘western stuff’ but don’t have internet, think of all the logging towns that are in the depths of the jungle…

you have a vision of a guy in a mud hut being given a chromebook, and being shown reddit. that isn’t the reality of what Google are doing!

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

You can have towns like that and still an attachment to old lands. The internet is a good way to entice the young to the cities and away from their old communities.

Not that I’m against them getting the internet, I just don’t for a second believe it’s for philanthropic reasons.

think of all the logging towns that are in the depths of the jungle…

Yahhh let’s give the illegal loggers teh internetzz….that’ll learn ’em!

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

The internet is a good way to entice the young to the cities and away from their old communities.

and where will they live ? or work ? only a few will make money the rest…look at India I guess most of those people thought yes leave the village and we can make money…reality they didn’t and have worse lives

MrWoppit
    Free Member

I just don’t for a second believe it’s for philanthropic reasons.

Well of course not. Is someone suggesting it is?

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

and where will they live ? or work ? only a few will make money the rest…look at India …

I don’t know. Maybe they could help pressure the government to develop sustainable industry within the Amazon basin.

1) Tourism
    2) Sustainable Logging
    3) Scientific Programs

But that would clash with the interests of the corrupt Brazilian government.

warton
    Free Member

Yahhh let’s give the illegal loggers teh internetzz,,,,that’ll learn ’em!

are all logging towns illegal? are all towns in the amazon made up of illegal loggers?

ohnohesback
    Free Member

On the subject of pervasive, intrusive technology; when will we stop tagging wild animals with GPS transmitters? They deserve their privacy away from our petty curiosity as to what they get up to when we can’t observe them. Leave the poor creatures alone!

thestabiliser
    Free Member

What have we done to the world?

What have we done?

What about sunrise
    What about rain
    What about all the things
    That you said we were to gain…
    What about killing fields
    Is there a time
    What about all the things
    That you said was yours and mine…
    Did you ever stop to notice
    All the blood we’ve shed before
    This crying Earth this weeping shores?

Aaaaaaaaah Oooooooooh
    Aaaaaaaaah Oooooooooh

What have we’ve done to the world
    Look what we’ve done
    What about all the peace
    That you pledge your only son…
    What about flowering fields
    Is there a time
    What about all the dreams
    That you said was yours and mine…
    All the children dead from war
    This crying Earth this weeping shores

Aaaaaaaaah Oooooooooh
    Aaaaaaaaah Oooooooooh
    Aaaaaaaaah Oooooooooh

I used to dream
    I used to glance beyond the stars
    Now I don’t know where we are
    Although I know we’ve drifted far

Aaaaaaaaah Oooooooooh
    Aaaaaaaaah Oooooooooh
    Aaaaaaaaah Oooooooooh
    Aaaaaaaaah Oooooooooh

Hey, what about yesterday
    (What about us)
    What about the seas
    (What about us)
    The heavens are falling down
    (What about us)
    I can’t even breathe
    (What about us)
    What about apathy
    (What about us)
    I need you
    (What about us)
    What about nature’s worth
    (ooo, ooo)
    It’s our planet’s womb
    (What about us)
    What about animals
    (What about it)
    Turned kingdoms to dust
    (What about us)
    What about elephants
    (What about us)
    Have we lost their trust
    (What about us)
    What about crying whales
    (What about us)
    Ravaging the seas
    (What about us)
    What about forest trails
    (ooo, ooo)
    Burnt despite our pleas
    (What about us)
    What about the holy land
    (What about it)
    Torn apart by creed
    (What about us)
    What about the common man
    (What about us)
    Can’t we set him free
    (What about us)
    What about children dying
    (What about us)
    Can’t you hear them cry
    (What about us)
    Where did we go wrong
    (ooo, ooo)
    Someone tell me why
    (What about us)
    What about baby boy
    (What about it)
    What about the days
    (What about us)
    What about all their joy
    (What about us)
    What about the man
    (What about us)
    What about the crying man
    (What about us)
    What about Abraham
    (What about us)
    What about death again
    (ooo, ooo)
    Do we give a damn

Aaaaaaaaah Oooooooooh

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

are all logging towns illegal?

About 80 percent of logging there is illegal, so yeah most logger towns are made up of illegal loggers.

Now they will have a better way of communicating with each other to cut more tress down.

Brilliant idea!

warton
    Free Member

for what it’s worth, my mums village in Northumberland is still on Dial up interwebz.

she wants super fast broadband. but, are we saying she can’t have it, because we want to preserve the culture of rural Northumberland?

she will be disappointed.

warton
    Free Member

Brilliant idea!

better idea than giving it to a guy with no computer, or electricity.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Warton, what do you think the environmental consequences will be of giving illegal loggers an internet connection? Given it’s brilliant use in planning and logistics.

better idea than giving it to a guy with no computer, or electricity.

Despite the fact that logging actually reduces the GDP of Brazil?

molgrips
    Free Member

Simply providing internet access is not going to turn them into Essex overnight ffs.

The internet is a tool that is generally for good. It gives people a voice. Commercial capitalism is not the same as the internet.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

They’ll be able to use ocado?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 65 total)

The topic ‘Amazon Forset to get internet…why cant the human race leave alone…’ is closed to new replies.