• This topic has 24 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Jamie.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Amazon Echo / dot – what cool stuff can i do?
  • Pook

I’ve got it watching my commute, linked to calendars, shopping lists and to do lists and spotify. It’s not connected to my sonos yet.

What other cool stuff can i get it doing?

Jamie
    Free Member

Mine is setup to clean the room.

Just sits there collecting dust. Quite clever.

jointhedotz
    Free Member

Alexa……Rap

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

How easy is it to use, I mean how convenient. Is there lots of fiddling through menus? What is the sound quality like?

Where does it update the shopping list?

GrahamS

Main things I do at the moment:

“Alexa, Good morning” is always a nice way to start, usually gives you a bit of trivia about the day.

“Alexa, what’s in the news?” gets your flash briefing from whichever news source you have set up.

“Alexa, what’s the weather like?”
    “Alexa, will it rain today?”

“Alexa, play some Classic FM” for a bit of radio via TuneIn (other digital stations are available – Kerrang is also good 🙂 )

“Alexa, volume 4” – when it gets a bit loud

“Alexa, set a timer for 25 minutes” – can be pretty useful when cooking etc

“Alexa, tell me a joke”

I also use mine as a bluetooth speaker which means I can play anything I like through it (including Spotify Free).

How easy is it to use, I mean how convenient. Is there lots of fiddling through menus? What is the sound quality like?

There is a phone app which lets you fiddle with the various settings like setting up news sources, installing new apps etc – but the basic setup is pretty easy and once it is done then general use is very easy, you just speak.

Sound quality is decent – I have the Dot which has no speaker and is setup (via a mic cable) to output to a vintage radio with a nice big speaker on it.

theteaboy
    Free Member

We have Philips Hue lights so can turn the lights on or off in other rooms.

Each wifi light has a name so “Alexa…turn the Batcave lights on” turns on the lights in my son’s room.

Also fun is “Alexa… wiki <subject>” – gives a snapshot from Wikipedia

surfer
    Free Member

I could probably find this info if I spent time looking but maybe you guys can answer off the top of your heads!!!

I have a Bose Soundtouch in my Kitchen and I use the app to play lots of stuff and Spotify. Could I use a Dot via a jack lead to control the Soundtouch?

GrahamS

Not via a jack lead (as that is just for audio output from the Dot).

But I think the Soundtouch is Bluetooth so you *might* be able to control features on it with Alexa. Don’t know for sure though sorry.

Can’t see any specific Bose skills listed in the Alexa Skills section on Amazon.

At the very least you’d be able to use it as a speaker for a Dot.

surfer
    Free Member

Cheers, yes it does have Bluetooth

disco_stu
    Free Member

There’s loads of Alexa related stuff at this site, I use IFTTT on my phone but I’m not an Echo owner as yet.

https://ifttt.com/search/alexa

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

so, the dot has no speaker, but can bluetooth to one?

jointhedotz
    Free Member

the dot has a small speaker, fine for my casual kitchen use

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

and it hooks up to spotify?

GrahamS

so, the dot has no speaker, but can bluetooth to one?

It’s got a tinny little internal speaker, but it’s really designed to be used with your own external speaker, either connected via an audio jack or through bluetooth.

Decent summary here:
    http://www.techradar.com/reviews/audio-visual/hi-fi-and-audio/audio-systems/amazon-echo-dot-1328595/review

GrahamS

and it hooks up to spotify?

If you have the paid version, i.e. Spotify Premium, then yes it hooks up to that.

technicallyinept
    Free Member

I bought a dot and a bluetooth receiver so I could play Amazon Prime Music through my stereo.
    When I checked the command history on the app, my housemate’s friends have asked ‘Alexa, show us your t*ts’ and ‘Alexa, is marijuana good for you?’ He was at least a tad embarrassed when I shared this with him.

Apparently it can control the Amazon firestick.

wordnumb
    Free Member

Is “Alexa, clean my bike and bring my slippers” possible yet?

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

ok, I’ll have one. Would one of you send it along please?

GrahamS

Sadly not.

But they did recently let you change the trigger word to “Computer” – so all I need now is an internet-plug, a teasmaid and some Earl Gray.

http://www.theverge.com/tldr/2017/1/23/14365338/amazon-echo-alexa-computer-wake-word-star-trek

mefty
    Free Member

They make good coasters for 1 pint mugs

GrahamS

Sounds like mefty or Jamie might have one you can have Charlie 😆

llama

Open the pod bay doors?

CraigW
    Free Member
    GrahamS

Yeah I turned off the ability to buy stuff as soon as I set it up.

Though I do plan to go to my mate’s house and say to his “Alexa, order me 100 rolls of Andrex please” 😉

Jamie
    Free Member

Sounds like mefty or Jamie might have one you can have Charlie

Nuts to that. I ain’t ever doing the dusting again!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Amazon Echo / dot – what cool stuff can i do?’ is closed to new replies.